Page 1 of 3
Blues and jazz build a huge vocabulary of licks, scales, melodies, etc. But with metal I notice how I hit other strings I don't want to hit, which gives background noise and diverts attention from the strings I'm trying to play.

Because of this, it takes a lot more focus to play metal than it does blues or jazz, where some of the normally distorted background noise is unheard because there is no distortion!

So what do you start with? Normally metal is supposed to be the harder genre (with it's shredding and whatnot), but it seems to me that a beginner at guitar would want to learn blues first to gain a background in theory and playing capacity. What do I go for?

Thanks.
start with stupid bad metal so you can slowly realize that its garbage and move on to better stuff like blues or jazz or all that noise
it's ultimately up to you, but i think learning the stuff you need for blues and jazz will be better for you; There's also nothing preventing you from learning both at the same time.
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
well im self tought, and ive limited myself to metal, ive been playing guitar for like 5 months and i eat alive people who have played for 3 years and havent played metal.
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
google grindcore and you should probably start with that to get really good.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Play both. Good metal will help you endlessly, as will good blues/jazz.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Me personally starting on classical and then electric, I'd say Blues to get the theory and what not, but as I've been playing electric for quite a while now, I would have to say Metal, just get the rhythm hand good. I always regret not learning how to gallop and such, but its totally up to you.

I'd go for blues coz its better.
Learn Blues to improvise. Learn classical for theory. All harder music will be easier if you know enough.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Some of the best metal guitarists Play/ed blues Zakk wylde, Dime, Tony Immoi(sP?), slash. IMHO the more you know about music the better off you are. Add heavy distortion to a blues or jazz riff its gonna sound metal.
Blues is better to start off with so you can become technically accurate. This will mean that when you go on to play metal, or things like that, you wont get lots of background noise. Playing blues, which is usually slower than metal, will mean that your left hand and right hand will work in harmony and then when you speed it up you will not miss a string or note when picking or fretting.
"Because of this, it takes a lot more focus to play metal than it does blues or jazz, where some of the normally distorted background noise is unheard because there is no distortion!"

See my opinion is that they are all hard in their own ways(i particularly hate most metal but lets keep that aside). blues will quickly teach you dynamics and phrasing since there really arent that many different notes to play. So you cant just play the notes or you will just sound boring. so it really teaches you HOW to play notes.

Jazz is what i believe to be the hardest genre to master. there is so much more theory on which notes to play, but if you dont know how to play them or which ones within the scales to play at different times it still wont sound like jazz.

for metal(more shredding), i personally cant pick out individual notes, it just sounds like garbled scales to me so i really wouldnt know how to compare it. although i have to say metal does have a fair amount of physical techniques necessary to play well.

i think you should learn anything necessary to play what you want to. so i think you should probably stick with metal. as for hitting strings, try to slow down abit and really focus when you practice.
But the point I'm trying to make is that with blues/jazz it's a clean tone, so you don't hear the background noise or accidentally hit strings because there's no buzzing. So if I learn on jazz/blues and go to metal, I might sound great at those genres but metal will kick my ass because I was playing sloppy but sounding good on blues.

Does this make sense? Non distortion sounds are easy to "fake" or screw up with because they're not as noticeable.
Metal stuff tends to be more complicated and there's no way in hell you can start off playing that kind of stuff - you have to look elsewhere when you're starting out. You can trace the evolution of metal music all the way back to the blues, it makes sense to follow that path of development yourself.

well im self tought, and ive limited myself to metal, ive been playing guitar for like 5 months and i eat alive people who have played for 3 years and havent played metal.

If you can then it's simply because you practiced more and practiced better than they did, it's got sod all to do with you playing metal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
metal wont hurt u, learn deaths crystal mountain, it will help u in insanley amounts
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
It may have been said, but play what you like

If you like both, play both!
I do!
I know a lot from Megadeth to BB King!
If you widen your vocabulary, you'll end up with a lot of various techniques under your cap which will help in the long run!
I have never liked metal much, blues and funk rock is kinda my thing now. I think that if you go to learn the things you like, it works. All that really matters is that you are playing what you enjoy, and skill will come along over time. A lot of metal is technical, and it might hard to take a chunk out of as a beginner. Try the easy stuff, but dont expect to play anything too tough for a while.
Quote by MarkWolf
start with stupid bad metal so you can slowly realize that its garbage and move on to better stuff like blues or jazz or all that noise

+1
"Never stop doing what you love" - Paul McCartney (Commercial lololol)
If u wanna be real good then you'll have to cut the metal part.
Quote by devit

Just because you play fast doesn't mean you can play better than someone who only plays blues, likely they will have so much more feel and better phrasings.
I started off playing metal, but am starting to play funk and blues. In the future I'm probably gonna work on each genre, a song at a time:

Jazz
Blues
Funk
Fusion
Hard Rock
Metal- NWOBHM
- Thrash
- Death
- Grindcore/NWAM
- Neoclassical.

I also play like, grade 2 normal classical, way not up to standad with my eletric playing. Classical guitar is way harder :P

Being able to play metal really godspeed ultra shred black style (rgusbs?) isn't as good as being able to play any genre pro style, people will have more respect for you as a guitar player in genral.
Last edited by Shredoftheday at Dec 6, 2008,
Quote by YA89
If u wanna be real good then you'll have to cut the metal part.

I'm not sure what you mean?
How you practice and how much you practice has a vastly bigger effect on your playing than what you practice.

Though of course if someone wants to be a heavy metal guitarist, there's better things they could do than practice folk music all day for example.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Play everything, just practice. What you need most is time. Play classical pieces, blues, jazz, funk, rock, metal, shred, country etc. etc. Widen your vocabulary and range of techniques.

Also, if you pick a difficult song, slow it down and teach yourself the technique used in the particular song correctly. Like sweeps, string skipping, alternate picking, wide stretches etc. etc.

And practicing on your clean channel means you can hear your technical errors. Fix these, and they won't translate to noise when distorted.
Quote by gardon
I'm not sure what you mean?

I mean metal isn't that hard when you get the basic techniques. But if you wanna be a real guitarist, then you will have to go with Jazz, Blues and Classical. Only then you'll be able to dig into all the hardest techniques that will make you a good overall player.
I know that most of the people in this forum won't agree with this. Sometimes metal is tricking newbies, that it's the hardest genre of all music. But to be honest, at least with my knowledge, I'm telling you, it's deceitful. (no offense to metal-goers. )
If you like metal it's okay to learn it, but if you want to become a better guitarist you MUST look into those three genres too.

Good Luck!
Play as many styles as you can. Practice, and that's not just messing around, but have objectives and work at them. Play scales until you are sick of it and do that every day.
I learnt blues only and it crippled me for a while as the theory is so different from anything else. But include blues 'cos it teaches feel (Black Magic Woman is easy enough for anyone). Classic rock gives a good basis for metal etc.
Both.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Metal is just shredding. Blues is more movement and different picking making it better for learning.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by steven seagull
Metal stuff tends to be more complicated and there's no way in hell you can start off playing that kind of stuff - you have to look elsewhere when you're starting out. You can trace the evolution of metal music all the way back to the blues, it makes sense to follow that path of development yourself.

If you can then it's simply because you practiced more and practiced better than they did, it's got sod all to do with you playing metal.

Agreed on both fronts.

If you start playing things which are far too hard for you, it can be really demoralising when it all goes tits up (which is will). To be honest, I think that it's good for every guitarist to dabble in most genre's, as it really helps every aspect of your playing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by random_B-RAD
Metal is just shredding. Blues is more movement and different picking making it better for learning.

Well there is power chord riffage too....
learn the theory and scales of jazz, the way to realy put emotion and felling into notes via phrasing from the blues and learn metal to get things lick allternate picking and stamina, play all of these with and without distortion, focusing on keeping your playing clean at all times with every technique, and you will be in with a grin.
Im all outa signature
Play both...

If you play metal, you will get better at playing metal.

Play blues, you will get better at playing blues.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by devit

I'm going to have to pull you up there. I believe what you have just said to be, for lack of a better term, absolute rubbish. While you may have better dexterity than someone who has played the Blues or Jazz for 3 years, you would definitely not have more critical things such as phrasing.

Take a good look at B. B. King as a prime example. He has big hands, and certainly doesn't have the dexterity that you might have. But have a look at what he can do with the few notes he plays. My point? Someone who hasn't played metal, but has focused on a more phrasing specific genre would in my opinion play much, much better than you. Go ahead and spew out notes like no tomorrow. That's not playing my friend, that's spewing out notes.

edit: To the thread starter: I don't believe metal to be harder than blues and jazz. I think you'll find that it is in fact harder to make the blues sound good (as an example) than metal, because you have to focus on what to do with your notes to make them into something good.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Last edited by syk3d at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by devit

LOL

you are the perfect example of an idiot guitarist who ruin it for the rest of us

you should give some serious thought to your playing before you f yourself up

to the question start with blues- learn how to express yourself through your guitar unlike METAL players (if you can call them 'players')
Here lies a problem that most guitar players face in this day of internet tab and short attention spans — they don't know how to express themselves.

-Nick Layton
start with what you like best, you'll play more, so you'll be beter
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
blues...blues guitarists are just awesome.....it's technical, it can be fast, but not stupidly fast.

metal (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc..) is essentially blues with higher gain and a heavy rythym.

metal (the annoyingly loud and ****ty kind) is a competition of who can play faster, and make their music sound like the mario theme song with retarded amounts of gain.

EDIT : I learned alot about blue online, and I've learn how to mix it up with my hardcore/street punk style of guitar....sounds sweet. really cool to make a really agressive riff and then throw in a cool blues fill.
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by devit

Metal doesn't make you a better guitarist.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by Swap-Meet
AWWW SHUCKS, I THOUGHT PLAYING MY SOLOS AS FAST AS I POSSIBLY CAN IS THE BEST WAY TO GET GOOD....ARE YOU SAYING I SHOULD ACTUALLY TRY AND MAKE MY MUSIC SOUND GOOD?!??!

Let's not act stupid. He said he's played metal for 5 months, and dominates people who played guitar for 3 years, and don't play metal. See my point?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Page 1 of 3