ok so about a month and a half ago i bought a guitar off of ebay. the guitar was awesome, i enjoyed playing it, it sounded great, and i loved the strings. about 2 weeks ago i broke one of the strings so i decided to put a whole new set on.

i have no idea what strings were on the guitar. they were black. i could tune to drop c without any problems but they were definitely not .12s. i was thinking they might be some kind of custom 10-50 or something like that. they had some kind of nice coating on them and they were black. i really want to figure out what brand of strings they were cause i've been trying to find a set i like since i broke the old ones. i've tried 9s, 10s and even 12s, but i didn't like any of them. the 12s were too thick and i couldn't play them comfortably. the 9s were just...blah, felt loose and couldn't tune down. the 10s were ok but i had some playability problems when tuning to drop c.

black strings that can drop tune but aren't too thick - anyone have any ideas what they are? or can anyone recommend a good gauge for me? i play in drop d the most but i like to play in standard and some drop c as well.
if they were black they might have been DR black beauties
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
They might be DR Extra lifes, that's what i happen to use. They are coated and feel great, i use .10s but i wouldn't know about Drop C as i've never tried it. You might want to try them.

DR Extra Life
Coated Strings
Colors: black beauty, red devils, peacock blue, silver, and gold
Try .10s

Link: http://www.amazon.com/DR-Strings-BLACK-BEAUTIES-EXTRA-Life/dp/B0002H0SX0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1228613152&sr=8-8

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Dec 6, 2008,