Yeah, i'm looking for a modern effect to give me that vintage hendrix distorion.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Big Muff, or, if you want Hendrix's octave fuzz sound, try a Visual Sound Angry Fuzz.
DIY fuzz pedals, some are purposely designed so that you can find all the needed parts at any electronic shop.

Else there's so many crap ones among the goodies, try 'Em out.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by qotsa1998
Big Muff, or, if you want Hendrix's octave fuzz sound, try a Visual Sound Angry Fuzz.

Not a Big muff, Hendrix used fuzz faces, they sound entirely different.

To the TS: How much are you planning to spend on this thing? Good fuzz boxes are expensive.
Frantone Peach Fuzz

Other things to look at :Fulltone Classic 70's fuzz.
I'd suggest the Sweet Germanium over the Peach Fuzz (which is a Si based fuzz)
Quote by al112987
I'd suggest the Sweet Germanium over the Peach Fuzz (which is a Si based fuzz)

Depends on what Hendrix tone you want. I read that he used a silicon one in the later days.
Quote by imgooley
Depends on what Hendrix tone you want. I read that he used a silicon one in the later days.

I see, for some reason when I think of Hendrix I always think of his Monterrey Pop tone which is almost a holy grail for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pro_Fl9shjg

Sounds incredible... I always cringe when I hear kids go on about how overrated Hendrix was.
Quote by al112987
I see, for some reason when I think of Hendrix I always think of his Monterrey Pop tone which is almost a holy grail for me.

Sounds incredible... I always cringe when I hear kids go on about how overrated Hendrix was.

Whenever I try to play hendrix, it seems like I go for a mix between the BBC '67 and the Band of Gypsies type sound.
Quote by al112987

+1
He was around for such a relatively short time that we only had a taste of what he was capable of.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by occub
+1
He was around for such a relatively short time that we only had a taste of what he was capable of.

True, but its not even that, it's the shred heads and metal fans who knock Hendrix for being considered a guitar god when he isn't as technically proficient as many modern players, thus making him overrated. That is the idea that I really can't stand. I mean, I constantly hear people say stuff like "Hendrix sucked, who cares if he could make random noises with his guitar, just because he was innovative doesn't mean he was actually good at guitar" It makes me want to vomit.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 6, 2008,
Quote by al112987
True, but its not even that, it's the shred heads and metal fans who knock Hendrix for being considered a guitar god when he isn't as technically proficient as many modern players, thus making him overrated. That is the idea that I really can't stand. I mean, I constantly hear people say stuff like "Hendrix sucked, who cares if he could make random noises with his guitar, just because he was innovative doesn't mean he was actually good at guitar" It makes me want to vomit.

I agree

Hendrix actually was extremely technically proficient for his time. Who knows what he could have done? He was miles ahead of his time. These metalheads don't understand that he is the foundation of heavy metal guitar. His wild insane distortion and crazy fast playing and all that is the formulation upon which countless players who now reside in their heavy metal pool. Hendrix was the foundation of playing WAY too loud well with The Who too...

My Aunt saw him at a New York gig when she was younger, and said it was so loud you couldn't get out of your seat.
Hendrix was truly a visionary, but at heart he was a soft soul, and couldn't handle the crash coming down on him ... I just finished my report on his status as an american rebel for english. Man was like all brilliant minds... Extremely misunderstood yet immensely bright.

My band was thinking of becoming a tribute band to him on the side to make a little cash.
My personal hero.... And i'm only 16

Go for the afformentioned fuzzes, or perhaps the lunar module
http://skreddypedals.com/skreddy_pedals_lunar_module.htm
Quote by imgooley

Other things to look at :Fulltone Classic 70's fuzz.

I liked the sound of this one at the store. But I'm no fuzz expert...
Saint Louis Blues