I just got a new ibanez with the Edge Zero, but I can't go down very far without the pickups pulling the low e string, causing it to ring. It happens to all of the strings eventually, but it happens to the e string first. I can go down further on my strat and it's really annoying. Any solutions?
lower the pickups a little bit. or raise the bridge ( it will raise your action though)
That happens with any floating trem - it's got more travel than a strat trem so the strings will go slacker, also you probably have pickups with stronger magnets in this guitar.

I don't understand why it's an issue to be honest - how exactly is it causing a problem? You don't play with the bar depressed, and the strings go back to where they were when you release it. If the "problem" is that you're whammying notes and the strings are sticking there's an easy fix - don't press the bar down so much.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I agree with Mister Seagull. If you going down so far, you'll reach a point where your note is virtually unhearable, before your strings touches the pickup. Can you explain to us why it's a problem? It's the same way on every floating trem guitar.
It's not a problem, I don't absolutely need the trem, but it's annoying I can't drop down that far. My action is very low, and my pickups are kind of close to them. It's at the spot where they sound the best, and the action feels the best. I was playing the intro to Kickstart My Heart, it works fine on the strat, but the RG's strings are pulled by the pickups. Guess I'm just gonna have to live with it
You can drop down that far, it's just that dropping the bar down the same distance as on the strat is actually dropping the pitch of the strings a lot further so you need to fine-tune your trem technique and also use your ears more. However, it gives you more options in terms of sounds because you get those rattly, clunky sounds to play with.

Like I already said, a Floyd has much more travel than a strat trem, that means to achieve any given drop in pitch you'll need to push the Floyd down a lot less than the strat trem. I can play that intro fine on a Floyd, and I don't need to push the bar anywhere close to all the way down for it to sound right. It sounds like you've focussed to much on the physical aspect of moving the bar rather than listening to the note, almost like you've learned it as "I push the bar down this far to play this intro" rather than "I push the bar down until the string reaches this pitch to play this intro".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 7, 2008,
It won't do a lot but if you're at a heavier string gauge maybe switch to 9's so your low E won't hit right away. Like I said it won't do a lot. Also if you drop your pickups by a hair it won't effect them a whole lot. If you just keeping tweaking with the height of them and dumping your bar you will find a happy medium.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras