Page 1 of 4
ive been wondering for a while, what band was the first to showcase "screaming" in their vocals, it seems like in the 80's the metal was very "sing-ie" but then the 90's hit and all the screaming metal bands came onto the scene.

so UG, do you know?
Quote by boreamor
It was Hardcore that popularized it wasn't it?

Yah but I think he's looking for the innovator of it..
I believe it was the indians.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Pregnant women.
Quote by donkey the wise
biggest pwnage in this thread yet. congrats good sir!

Quote by potcorn56
ooooo your so kinky!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know the answer I'm afraid, but watch Metal: The Headbanger's Journey. It's a really documentary about heavy metal and it's timeline.

I know that screaming started in Japan around 1997, Dir en Grey is Japan's first death metal band.
Quote by Pinetum
Your mother

i already asked her, so you are a liar.
Quote by Kensai
I believe it was the indians.

Only because they learned it from the people they scalped. Cause and effect sort've thing, then they worked out the problems.
I think it's been done since the 70's. Maybe not in the studio, but during live performances.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
my girlfriend.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
isn't it a natural reaction? And doesn't singing take more effort than screaming anyway? When singers scream, they're usually said to have done a bad performance/not been able to properly execute the song. I'm guessing it stemmed from people who couldn't sing properly.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Like, what kind of screaming? Singing in a harsh loud voice? Or the kind of singing in hardcore music where "your mother is a bear" comes out as "YAHR MATHAH ITH AI BAHR!" Either way, I'm not sure.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by Asterion222
I don't know the answer I'm afraid, but watch Metal: The Headbanger's Journey. It's a really documentary about heavy metal and it's timeline.

I know that screaming started in Japan around 1997, Dir en Grey is Japan's first death metal band.

really? i couldof sword it was around in the early 90's, when did Korn and Slipknot debut?
It goes back a lot further than you think.

James Brown anyone?

Maybe not exactly what you meant, but modern screaming had to evolve from somewhere. Rock and soul singers from the 50's and 60's were doing it. If you go back even further to the 30's and 40's it was in the blues.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
jesus
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
Quote by Asterion222

Huwaaaa? Dir En Grey, death metal? I really like Diru, but what?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
I remeber reading somewhere that it started in the 60's but i don't remeber who they said started doing it.

I could be wrong though.
I decided to change my sig to something big and colorful
Late 80's crust/hardcore bands had it but I'm not sure where it started.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
It goes back a lot further than you think.

James Brown anyone?

Maybe not exactly what you meant, but modern screaming had to evolve from somewhere. Rock and soul singers from the 50's and 60's were doing it. If you go back even further to the 30's and 40's it was in the blues.

yeah, not what i meant, i know in "Revolution" by the beatles John has a beastly scream. but i want the first band that only screamed, in a modern way
Reva.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Everything started in the sixties-

Feedback, notable distortion, origins of screaming- and most of it with Link Wray or John Lennons groups or the Beatles in the early 60's. The Who and Jimi Hendrix also helped popularize feedback- things that definitely laid the ground work for "metal" music and screaming.
im gunna guess at like... mayhem or something they've been around forever
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Everything started in the sixties-

Feedback, notable distortion, origins of screaming- and most of it with Link Wray or John Lennons groups or the Beatles in the early 60's. The Who and Jimi Hendrix also helped popularize feedback- things that definitely laid the ground work for "metal" music and screaming.

I think he means the more modern style of screaming, which is really just expanding on the vocal styles of hardcore dating back to the 60s. Didn't sound quite alike but that's where it got it's start for sure.

Bullet for my valentine invented true screamo!
Quote by Wylde14
yeah, not what i meant, i know in "Revolution" by the beatles John has a beastly scream. but i want the first band that only screamed, in a modern way

Yeah, but my point kinda was that someone didn't just wake up one day and say "I'm going to just scream everything."

It started off how I said with people maybe screaming a line or two, or giving a good old "OWWW!!" in live performances, back in the day. Then it would have progressed on to maybe screaming back-up vocals, and on wards to how screaming is what it is today.

ANYWAY, what I'm trying to say is I don't really think that modern screaming can be attributed to any one band.

EDIT: To me, it's kinda like asking "Who was the first artist to use distortion?" or something along those lines. Screaming, like everything in modern music, evolved into what it is today over the last 70 or so years.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Dec 6, 2008,
It was Beethoven. Trust me.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
im geussing Iron Maiden did it a lil, then Hardcore stole it and did it more
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Quote by vulcan422
im geussing Iron Maiden did it a lil, then Hardcore stole it and did it more

This is a joke right? Iron Maiden stole it from A7X!
Some really pissed off guy.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Even the Beatles can be heard screaming on their classic White Album on tracks like "Helter Skelter".

Oh how I feel so awesome.
I decided to change my sig to something big and colorful
Holy ****ing christ, I never though so many wrong facts could be jumbled up into one thread of epic failure.

I'm still lolling at Death Metal coming from Japan in 1997 . Death Metal was around in 1983...
Page 1 of 4