Hi,

I've recently started playing my old N64 again, and I bought a controller pack for it so I could save my game on this racing game I got. However, it doesn't seem to work, and it never says anything, and the game always says "no controller pack" detected. It's starting to get irritating.

The controller pack has a small button on the back, and I've pressed that while the game was on and while it was off, but it still says it's not detected. It's apparently a larger expansion pack that offers up to 4 pages of saves, if that makes any difference (like if maybe they don't exist and it's a farce, or whatever).

I'm just wondering if anyone here could help me, maybe explain if I'm doing something wrong or what the button does? Thanks.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Dec 6, 2008,
What it sounds like is either there is too much memory being used on the card (E.G. delete some ****) or it needs to be formatted because it's broken.

Take your game out. Hold the START button when you turn your system on. That'll take you to the memory card menu. There should be an option to format the card. THIS WILL WIPE ALL SAVES ON THE CARD. Should be back to factory presets now.

w00t for 64!
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
try the blowing trick? damn i wish i never pawned my N64

Yea, I've tried blowing into it and into the controller, it didn't work. Once it did seem to work and save something, but I turned on the console later and tried opening my saves and it just gave me the same "pack undetected" message.
Quote by RedNovember
What it sounds like is either there is too much memory being used on the card (E.G. delete some ****) or it needs to be formatted because it's broken.

Take your game out. Hold the START button when you turn your system on. That'll take you to the memory card menu. There should be an option to format the card. THIS WILL WIPE ALL SAVES ON THE CARD. Should be back to factory presets now.

w00t for 64!

This isn't working. I took the game out, held the start button on the controller down, then turned the power on and waited for about 10 seconds, and nothing happened. I tried doing it with the game in and obviously it didn't help. I'm worried that it might be a fake controller pack or something, cause I never heard of any extra large ones (it's not grey if that helps, it's actually dark blue). Do you know anything about the button on the back?
Quote by 'Leviathan'
Just use Project64; no messy cords, no controller packs needed.

that's a major pain in the ass if you don't have a control pad for your computer though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
try using another controller.

I don't have another one at the moment, I've ordered another one and it's in the mail.

Quote by 'Leviathan'
Just use Project64; no messy cords, no controller packs needed.

I don't want to use an emulator, I have the console and I wanna actually use it on a tv. Plus it's classic, and I'd rather play on a controller than with a keyboard seeing as I don't have an adaptor.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Dec 6, 2008,
Hrm...it sounds like it's either a fake pack or it's busted. Run to the nearest used retailer and get you a new one. Or, like dude said, use project 64.

As for that specific pack...Never heard of a 64 pack that was blue. Anything was possible what with all the 3rd party software back then...Did you try holding the button when you turn the system on? Or both the button and start?

Can't think of anything else that it would be though. good luck!
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
I don't have another one at the moment, I've ordered another one and it's in the mail.

yeah in my experience those little cartidge slots on the controllers are the first thing to go bad, so wait until your new controller arrives.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by RedNovember
Hrm...it sounds like it's either a fake pack or it's busted. Run to the nearest used retailer and get you a new one. Or, like dude said, use project 64.

As for that specific pack...Never heard of a 64 pack that was blue. Anything was possible what with all the 3rd party software back then...Did you try holding the button when you turn the system on? Or both the button and start?

Can't think of anything else that it would be though. good luck!

There aren't any stores in my city that I know of that still sell N64 stuff, and our second-hand stores here really suck and have nothing like this in them.

I held just the start button down when I turned it on. Should I try also holding down the button on the controller pack?
Buy a new one.
I played my 64 a few days ago.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Ok, it's working now, but apparently the button on the back is for changing pages on the pack (because it has 4 pages to choose from). Thing is, in order for it to detect the saved games, I need to turn the console on, press the page select button, then restart the console. It's annoying having to do this, though I can see how it works (like you turn the unit on, then select which page of saves you want, then restart to activate it).

With normal controller packs, do you normally need to restart the console after turning it on in order for the saves to get detected?

EDIT: By the way, I don't suppose someone could give me step-by-step instructions for formatting the controller pack and erasing all existing saves? Cause I tried holding the start button down with no game in the unit but it didn't work.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182

With normal controller packs, do you normally need to restart the console after turning it on in order for the saves to get detected?

Not for mine.

You should definatley play pokemon stadium or pokemon snap.
■■■

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by RocksAwakening5
Not for mine.

You should definatley play pokemon stadium or pokemon snap.

Damn, well, might be a special feature for having this extra storage space. Not really worth the tradeoff but oh well.

Yea, I have pokemon snap, I haven't played it again yet but I remember it being awesome. I might start a new game actually lol. I've played pokemon stadium too, that was cool. I don't think I'll get it though.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
I've played pokemon stadium too, that was cool. I don't think I'll get it though.

Blasphemy!!!! You can use your own pokemon on it from the yellow version!!!
How epic is that?
■■■

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by RocksAwakening5
Blasphemy!!!! You can use your own pokemon on it from the yellow version!!!
How epic is that?

Yea, but I don't have my old pokemon games
I gave my GBA to a friend last year with all my GBA games and all my old game boy games, except yoda stories (cause it sucks and I figured she wouldn't want it). So now I have a game boy colour and one sh*t game that I definitely never want to play.