im buying a new guitar should i get sg standard or les paul studio.
are you gigging? if you are, LP's are heavy and if your going to be doing long shows you should work out your pecks

the sg is incredibly light though.

on tone, id say LP but the sg has has sort of a mix of a strat and ibanez rg

so do the math
well I played one of the SG standards and I wasnt too impressed by it (then they were only 500 bucks...and I dont think they were worth it). As with all guitars, go try em out for yourself.
Quote by benkean
yah i'll be playing shows

i added more to my previous response

Quote by livrockdie
well I played one of the SG standards and I wasnt too impressed by it (then they were only 500 bucks...and I dont think they were worth it). As with all guitars, go try em out for yourself.

i personally love the tone
It sounded fine, it just felt...cheap i guess. I wasnt too fond of the neck on it either. Thats just me though.
That's fine, but I fail to see how you were able to find what I would assume to be a new SG Standard for $500.

Explain.

(Even if this was quite some time ago, I'd like to know.)
It really depends on what you're looking for.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by livrockdie

you sure it isn't a epiphone? you'll have to be 40 year old or so to have seen gibson sg standard's price tagging at 500.
The SG Standard has a better chance of being decent (most Gibson Custom Shops are bad these days, let alone 'Studio' models).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Midnight Murk
Keep in mind that these two models have the same pickups.

The decision should be made regarding body shape, tonal differences between the two, binding or no binding, and neck profile.

I prefer the SG over a Les Paul Studio.

I have also found that the USA SG Standards and '61s are the best guitars coming out of the Gibson factory today, but again, that's my opinion.

we share the same wisdom
I am not fond of studios...so I would go for the SG just cause it's a standard.