I'm planning on actually going to a store this time, any tips on how to tell if it's a good guitar or not? Not going in the under $300 thread because it can probably be over. Also, I play electric but want an acoustic.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Tap on it all over to see if it seems sturdy. Many cheaps acoustics seem to almost be made of cardboard (not literally, but almost). Mess with the tuning knobs to see how well they turn and tune. Check to see if the top is heavily laminated. If it is, it won't sounds as good. Most important of all, make sure it sounds good to your ears.
How do I tell if it's heavily laminated?
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
You can usually tell by looking at it. If it's really shiny, and has a fake looking wood grain, then yeah. Don't get me wrong, most acoustics are laminated, but many of them overdo it. It's not like a ton of laminate will GREATLY effect your sound, but it will slightly muffle it if it's too thick.

IMO, an acoustic should be as un-muffled as possible. With electrics it doesn't matter, it's going into an amp anyway... But with acoustics, little details really matter, to me at least. Yeah, that means spending a little extra really will help your sound.
Last edited by Zecromancer at Dec 6, 2008,
If the top is solid wood, if will definitely be stated. They would indicate solid top for sure. If the word solid top isn't there, it is most likely a laminated.
Alright then, anything else?
Get one with a portion that allows you to play the 15 frets+, I always found that not having it to be annoying >_>
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Acoustic FAQ Scroll down to the buyer's guide in this thread. It will tell you everything you need to know
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by KennethJay
Get one with a portion that allows you to play the 15 frets+, I always found that not having it to be annoying >_>

That's actually my plan!