Page 1 of 3
i was just in this thread and i simply asked what the appeal of growling in death metal was and why people liked it. i personally cant stand more than one verse of it at a time. in small amounts i dont mind it at all, i actually think it sounds cool, but throughout the course of an entire song, or album i would probably break the disc into pieces.
so i have two questions
1. what is the real appeal of growling? what do you like about it and why what about it do you find most interesting?
2. why are death metal fans such douches? i wasnt a dick at all until the end there, and yet they offered no insight and just basically said **** you.

and if your going to be a dick, just do it in the least amount of space as you can. and then stop breathing completely.
I don't really know. I'm not really into death metal, so i wouldn't know.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
It is very giving.

It's like the Santa Claus of oral sex.

It breaks into people's houses and gives them head while they are sleeping.

It spits the ejaculations into their stockings afterward and then raids the fridge.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by dminishedthingy
I already explained it, it's more aggressive singing to fit the more aggressive music.

That does make sense.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
Quote by tyler112493
That does make sense.

Oh good fucking Sogoth.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by dminishedthingy
I already explained it, it's more aggressive singing to fit the more aggressive music.

yes. that is what growling is. but what is the APPEAL of it
Quote by seankellyultgtr

I explained what it is and why it's used, aggression obviously appeals to some people.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
It is very giving.

It spits the ejaculations into their stockings afterward and then raids the fridge.

it's a christmas miracle!
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Do your parents not beat you guys when you become what you become?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
It is very giving.

What the hell is with you tonight?
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by dminishedthingy
I explained what it is and why it's used, aggression obviously appeals to some people.

he gotcha there
Quote by MetalMessiah665
What the hell is with you tonight?

I want to ask every single damn user who's comprehension on mere common sense doesn't even reach the curriculum of that very same thing.

Its maddening.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Dec 6, 2008,
Think about it
brutal guitar riffs
what goes best with brutal guitar riffs?
brutal singing
and your normal voiced people won't do, so something thought, what the hell, lets give this a try
and it was entertaining, and thus death metal was born
i love death metal
i mean, im not sure what the "appeal" is, but i love the heavy vocals, they get me pumped and are just overall more entertaining then normal vocals
Quote by athlete1
he gotcha there

yes. he did.

yet, i am still left confused. its not your fault dminishedthingy (or if thats how your username is spelled) im just retarded
None of them are being closed. So I trek on.

I'm waiting for the looming omnipresent dooming of a warning.

But damned if I don't go out in a bang, naked, on fire, smiling.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
1. it adds agression to the music. and it just plain fits. i mean seriously, listen to necrophagist and try to imagine what sung vocals would fit there/sound like. the music is aggressive and heavily distorted and hence so are the vocals. i used to be 100% against growling i used to ****ing hate every bit of it and not even give the band a chance if they were any part death metal. i used to be a judgemental dick lol but then my friend helped me open my mind and to get past the vocals. death metal really is an aquired taste. me and that friend have always said "it grows on you". or at least he did until he got me into it. can you really think of a way to sing to something like cannibal corpse or nile? it just doesnt work. just start listening like i did and youll get past the vocals pretty soon and even start liking them. i never thought i would and here i am metal is my favorite.

2. we are not douches as you say. it is merely a responsive attitude toward all the real douches who put down metal because they dont understand it and quite frankly, it pisses us off and were tired of it. every other person you see will say "omg screaming? thats ****n stoopid you cant even understand them. they sound like cookie monster" etc. its an outsider genre. there are few outsiders and therefore few who accept and understand it.

and really, there are plenty of bands who alternate growling and singing.

opeth, cynic, devin townsend, agalloch, ensiferum, wintersun, sculptured, etc..
those are just off the top of my head and as you can see, i love prog haha
dream theater even did something similar to a black metal shriek in octavrium..
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by metal Lover
*farts in car, rolls up window, then makes you listen to Severed Survival at full volume.*

Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I want to ask every single damn user who's comprehension on mere common sense doesn't even reach the curiculum that same thing.

Its maddening.

youve been confusing me all night. your sentence structure is just awful. howver you are funny...
Quote by VampireGoldfish
None of them are being closed. So I trek on.

I'm waiting for the looming omnipresent dooming of a warning.

But damned if I don't go out in a bang, naked, on fire, smiling.

Bottomed of the page like hell.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
dminishedthingy understands perfectly
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by seankellyultgtr
youve been confusing me all night. your sentence structure is just awful. howver you are funny...

Nay it is not my sentence structure that fails.

Try again.

With your head this time.

I am not funny.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Simply put, if you get used to it, it sounds good and adds an aural aesthetic that regular clean singing cannot provide for a song.

...and to answer the second question: No, we're not. The music gets attacked for being harsh so frequently by people who never give a chance to try and understand it and know nothing about the music or the bands. Don't take it personally but these type of questions get really old.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Last edited by Rust_in_Peace34 at Dec 7, 2008,
Quote by Linqua5150
1. it adds agression to the music. and it just plain fits. i mean seriously, listen to necrophagist and try to imagine what sung vocals would fit there/sound like. the music is aggressive and heavily distorted and hence so are the vocals. i used to be 100% against growling i used to ****ing hate every bit of it and not even give the band a chance if they were any part death metal. i used to be a judgemental dick lol but then my friend helped me open my mind and to get past the vocals. death metal really is an aquired taste. me and that friend have always said "it grows on you". or at least he did until he got me into it. can you really think of a way to sing to something like cannibal corpse or nile? it just doesnt work. just start listening like i did and youll get past the vocals pretty soon and even start liking them. i never thought i would and here i am metal is my favorite.

2. we are not douches as you say. it is merely a responsive attitude toward all the real douches who put down metal because they dont understand it and quite frankly, it pisses us off and were tired of it. every other person you see will say "omg screaming? thats ****n stoopid you cant even understand them. they sound like cookie monster" etc. its an outsider genre. there are few outsiders and therefore few who accept and understand it.

and really, there are plenty of bands who alternate growling and singing.

opeth, cynic, devin townsend, agalloch, ensiferum, wintersun, sculptured, etc..
those are just off the top of my head and as you can see, i love prog haha
dream theater even did something similar to a black metal shriek in octavrium..

its not even that im putting it down though. i love screaming in songs. i love trivium, DT, underoath, the chariot, norma jean, atryu (even though theyre more "mainstream" then any of you probably listen to), and all them. screaming im fine with. its just growling. i just cant wrap my head around its magnitude i guess.

and like i tried listening to some Necrophagist and BTBAM tonight and i didnt really like it. i liked BTBAM more than Necrophagist though. i dont know. ill quit while im behind. thanks to all.
*checks profile views*
Dammit Messiah, they're back again...
I guess it's good that Grim Bizkit are getting some exposure though.
Quote by seankellyultgtr

2. why are death metal fans such douches? i wasnt a dick at all until the end there, and yet they offered no insight and just basically said **** you.

That's because we are a legion of desecrating hell! We insult and ridicule all who are against GROWL! I blasphemy all night and doesn't afraid of ANYTHING!
I can feel the mental waves of a thousand lonely souls, who never once felt the fleece, delicate, silken touch of a women, clicking my name, and in one fell motion...

*zziiiiip*

And they embrace themselves to my profile.

(10 views)
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by metal Lover
That's because we are a legion of desecrating hell! We insult and ridicule all who are against GROWL! I blasphemy all night and doesn't afraid of ANYTHING!

Total Blashemous Black Death desecration of nuns' rotting asses... Sorry, I just watched an interview with Paul Ledney.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
This is now the official Sarcofago lyrics thread:
i will lick you
of the feets 'till the head
making you feel torrential orgasms
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Ill give you my insight on it. Some people go through a transition sometimes from Classic rock, to NWOBHM, to just plain metal, to thrash metal.. next logical step is death metal. The transition from those genres isnt just the music, but the vocals as well... classic rock offering one singing style, NWOBHM having more emphasis on melody and range, just plain ol' heavy metal with a mix of both, thrash metal has more of a non-trained sing/scream it as loud as you can, in some cases offering shout/gang vocals, a very untrained singing style in the case of early metallica and megadeth (come on you all know they werent proffesional singers when they made Kill em all or killing is my business), or in some cases hardcore ish growling (pantera anyone?). Of course there are exceptions to all this.. joey belladonna was as melodic as some NWOBHM singers and he was in anthrax.

the next logical transition is obviously death metal. Take death, listen to scream bloody gore. Its a thrash CD but with harsher vocals. Those harsh vocals evolve into full out growls as heard by cannibal corpse, necrophagist, nile and many others that i dont wanna list right now. The vocal style fits the musics dark, gory and angry style.

Now your dislike of growling only tells me one thing. Youre either chris barnes who needs to learn how to growl, or youre just one of those people that will never really get it. Nothings wrong with the latter, its just a personal preference for some, for some its something to be hated.

Is it that big a deal?
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
Ill give you my insight on it. Some people go through a transition sometimes from Classic rock, to NWOBHM, to just plain metal, to thrash metal.. next logical step is death metal. The transition from those genres isnt just the music, but the vocals as well... classic rock offering one singing style, NWOBHM having more emphasis on melody and range, just plain ol' heavy metal with a mix of both, thrash metal has more of a non-trained sing/scream it as loud as you can, in some cases offering shout/gang vocals, a very untrained singing style in the case of early metallica and megadeth (come on you all know they werent proffesional singers when they made Kill em all or killing is my business), or in some cases hardcore ish growling (pantera anyone?). Of course there are exceptions to all this.. joey belladonna was as melodic as some NWOBHM singers and he was in anthrax.

the next logical transition is obviously death metal. Take death, listen to scream bloody gore. Its a thrash CD but with harsher vocals. Those harsh vocals evolve into full out growls as heard by cannibal corpse, necrophagist, nile and many others that i dont wanna list right now. The vocal style fits the musics dark, gory and angry style.

Now your dislike of growling only tells me one thing. Youre either chris barnes who needs to learn how to growl, or youre just one of those people that will never really get it. Nothings wrong with the latter, its just a personal preference for some, for some its something to be hated.

Is it that big a deal?

Stop spamming, asshole, this is the Sarcofago lyrics thread!
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by seankellyultgtr
its not even that im putting it down though. i love screaming in songs. i love trivium, DT, underoath, the chariot, norma jean, atryu (even though theyre more "mainstream" then any of you probably listen to), and all them. screaming im fine with. its just growling. i just cant wrap my head around its magnitude i guess.

and like i tried listening to some Necrophagist and BTBAM tonight and i didnt really like it. i liked BTBAM more than Necrophagist though. i dont know. ill quit while im behind. thanks to all.

ah so you like higher pitched, "lighter" growls.. thats how i started to get into it, except i never got into -core. i started with children of bodom and wintersun and one day i said im moving to something heavyer and listened to morningrise by opeth because his vocals on the album were heavier, but not too heavy for me to dislike at the time. just do what i did and slowly expand the range of vocals that you like and pretty soon youll be able to listen to any brutal death metal song and not be like "ahh i cant take it!" someone recently made me cd with carcass black dahlia murder cannibal corpse and all kinds of good **** on it. some months ago when i wouldve hit the more brutal stuff like cannibal corpse i wouldve listened, but i wouldnt have payed as much attention and it wouldnt be as clear as it is now because i was not as used to it.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by seankellyultgtr

Are you retarded or just trolling on purpose?
Page 1 of 3