Hey guys, i am getting a new guitar for christmas and my options are an epiphone les paul or an epiphone sg and i am wondering what you guys would pick in this situation, thanks
The SG is neck heavy, but the high frets aren't very easy to reach on a Les Paul. They also sound different, try them out
SG, I hate les pauls. They are overrated and I have made it my lifes duty to never play one.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Well i have a Epiphone sg standard and it plays great. Now i dislike les pauls because that hump on it disrupts when i'm trying to get to the high notes it block my hands a little.
Les pauls, nuff said.

/thread
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Sg. BUT it depends. Are you getting a SPECIAL or a G400/whatever equivalent LP model?

That really makes a difference. I would vote for the Vintage G400. Its a badass guitar. Plus heavy guitars don't get played as often i feel.
Quote by guitarmaniac88
SG, I hate les pauls. They are overrated and I have made it my lifes duty to never play one.

If it's your lifes duty to never play one, how do you know they suck... They're actually pretty good... Les Paul customs sound brilliant, and look fairly awesome too, but they're a little heavy/uncomfortable, I'd go with SG.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by JELIFISH19
How do I make that my sig?

go to the control panel then go to edit signiture and just copy and paste whatever quote your after.
I'd go for the Epi LP, simply one the basis that I've owned both types of guitars (the Epi standards for each), and the G-400 was much harder to use. I've never found LP's fret access to be that bad, and the neck dive on the SG was so awful it rendered it nearly unplayable.

Gibson SG's bodies are a touch heavier and their necks are a tad lighter so it's not so bad, but the Epis have the worst neck dive I've ever come across. I won't touch them again for that reason alone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
My friend had a SG, the sound it lighter, and has some twang to it. The higher notes are easier to reach and the SG feels like plastic. I have a Les Paul I prefer the sound much better, it's thick and rich. The way it feels . . . . . no words to describe it. The Sg feels very like plastic. That's my opinion, but you should try them both out 1st, some people like SG's better. (Though I don't know why . . . )
My Gear
Peavy Raptor 1
75w Line 6 Spider lll Amp
Epiphone Les Paul (SH-4 JB Bridge, SH-2 Neck)
Squier Jazz Bass
Crate 30w Amp
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by JELIFISH19
How do I make that my sig?

Type it in your sig area and before it put orifinally posted by (then in bold put) guitarmaniac88, since I assume your talking about me. Then at the top of the sig space while editing, there is a speech bubble, highlight what you typed and click that bubble. Save and enjoy. If it wasn't about me, forget everything I said.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
The SG neck dive practically makes it unplayable standing up. You have to hold the neck the entire time you're standing up and that makes complex songs very difficult. You can change the location of the strap button to fix it though.
Quote by Sheogorath
My friend had a SG, the sound it lighter, and has some twang to it. The higher notes are easier to reach and the SG feels like plastic. I have a Les Paul I prefer the sound much better, it's thick and rich. The way it feels . . . . . no words to describe it. The Sg feels very like plastic. That's my opinion, but you should try them both out 1st, some people like SG's better. (Though I don't know why . . . )

if its your opinion why how should you know
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Quote by Felttoaster
if its your opinion why how should you know

What i mean is I don't know what makes someone want to get an SG, I've found nothing appealing about the guitar.
My Gear
Peavy Raptor 1
75w Line 6 Spider lll Amp
Epiphone Les Paul (SH-4 JB Bridge, SH-2 Neck)
Squier Jazz Bass
Crate 30w Amp
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
It's lighter, better fret access, pretty much fixes the things that people don't like about a Les Paul
dethead666 your a retard. have you ever actually played a line 6 amplifier that wasnt a spider III? such as the vetta II? it's a really amazing amp, so dont bash a brand simply because you dont like one model they make. also, bandwagons not cool.

I would get an LP. I love mine
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Why not refer to Frank Zappa? He played both, and was a complete badass! I say get one of each! Both have a legacy of great players creating great tones on them. Personally, I'm more in the Les Paul camp, but would never turn down an SG.
Heres how i see it:

SG:

Double Cut - Great access to higher frets
Thinner Neck - Faster playing, a little more comfort (in my opinion)
Lesser Weight - The guitar is very light so you won't break your back if you're playing standing up with it a lot
Electronics - All the knobs and the p/up switch are at the bottom of the guitar making it a bit more convenient if you want to be totally in control of the guitar

Les Paul:

Single Cut - Lesser access to higher frets
Greater Weight - It's a heavy guitar which results in amazing sustain like no other guitar has
Thicker Neck - Feels great when voicing chords, this adds to the sustain and weight
The sound - Because of the weight of this guitar the sound from a les paul can only be what I would describe as "creamy"

I'm an SG man myself though, it's easier to play than a les paul and it's got a more raw rock sound, like angus young kicking you in the balls