I played a Masterbuilt at GC today (first time I've been there for a long time) and I have to say, I loved the tone, but I HATED the fretboard. It felt...well, almost flat. Completely flat.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I played one of my friends Epiphone Hummingbirds a few days ago and i thought the exact same things. All it really is is the jumbo neck that is larger and makes it to where you cant curve your hand completely around the neck comfortably.
Pot
Kettle
Black
I actually never noticed that, haha. Did you find the neck comfortable though? I definitely did. Loved the neck. The strumming wasn't so hot, but the fingerpicking on the Masterbilt was superb for me.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Meh, I didn't really get a chance to sit and play it for very long. My mom was rushing me out. Last time I ask to stop at GC on the way home from something with my family

But I didn't get much time to play. Not nearly long enough to tell how I liked the neck. All I know is that I really didn't like the fingerboard.

Also, I'm used to my all-lam guitar But is laminate heavier than solid wood? The Masterbuilt felt really light and...for lack of a better word, flimsy to me. The tone was nice, but other than that I really didn't like it all that much. But hey, to each his own I suppose

EDIT: I'm thinking part of the reason I felt the fingerboard was so flat is because I'm used to my Takamine. I've eyeballed the radius on the fingerboard and compared it to my Strat, and the Tak isn't much flatter than it.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Laminate can be much heavier. It's a plywood and glue sandwich.

My Martin feels quite light as well compared to my A&L. No, they're not as durable as laminate, but that's a trade off you take for far superior tone. As long as you treat your guitar well, it will last longer than you.
Equipment:

Thanks cap. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't thinking there was some problem with it because of the weight. I'm gathering as much information as I can as time passes so that when the day comes that I buy a crazy awesome acoustic I have all the information I need. And I think I may have eliminated an entire brand all together with this little discovery about Epiphone, which is unfortunate. I like Epi acoustics. I just couldn't stand the fretboard.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Crazy awesome acoustic? Look no farther than Lowden ...if you can afford one. Starting prices are over $4000, if I'm not mistaken. Unless I buy something like a Masterbilt(for no particular reason besides just because I can) for myself, I'll be getting a Lowden as my next guitar upgrade. I'm actually somewhat tempted to buy a Masterbilt. They're seriously good.
Equipment:

I actually never noticed that, haha. Did you find the neck comfortable though? I definitely did. Loved the neck. The strumming wasn't so hot, but the fingerpicking on the Masterbilt was superb for me

I love fingerpicking on my masterbilt. Very comfortable neck.
i love my masterbilt .. i own a takamine gs330s a masterbilt dr500r and a mex strat and the strat has the most curved radius and the tak is in the middle and the epi is most flat .. but it doesnt bother me at all .. i feel comfortable playing on all of them
take it easy man .. its just a thread
Yeah. Just persoal preference I guess. I didn't feel very comfortable on it. The neck was nice. A little thicker than my Tak, which was nice for my huge hands, but the fretboard bothered me quite a bit.

Cap, those Lowden guitars look AMAZING!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Yeah. Just persoal preference I guess. I didn't feel very comfortable on it. The neck was nice. A little thicker than my Tak, which was nice for my huge hands, but the fretboard bothered me quite a bit.

Cap, those Lowden guitars look AMAZING!

You should take a look at the Walnut and Tasmanian Blackwood side/backed guitars on there. Most beautiful planks of wood I've ever seen.
Equipment: