Hey guys,
I'm in the market for a new amp. I've been playing for about 10 months now and started to noticea huge improvement in my playing and have realised my current gear just does not cut it anymore. I'll be mainly playing metal. (Parkway drive etc)
Anyway My price limit is around $600AUD (australian dollar).
I have been recommended the Roland Cube 30 or 60.
I have also been recommended a Randall RX-75D LINK
Anyway I just need some advice from people who know what they're talking about. As I'm quite new to the scene and have no clue
Also if you have any other amps that will fit into my price range that you would recomend please let me know!

Cheers, Simmo.
Last edited by simmooo! at Dec 7, 2008,
Quote by the boogieman
cant go wrong with the cube 30

Yes, But will the cube 30 or 60 (I may be able to get it if i get enough money for christmas) suit metal more than the randall?
I heard the randalls distortion is great for metal?
Anyway shoot away guys, also open to other suggestions for different amps that are good for metal.
Someone on Melband is selling a Randall RG50TC. Its tube and would be better than either of those amps. I'll give you the link if you're interested
Last edited by littlephil at Dec 7, 2008,
Quote by littlephil
Someone on Melband is selling a Randall RG50TC. Its tube and would be better than either of those amps. I'll give you the link if you're interested

Hey cheers for that littlephil. I just checked it out then, is it the amp which "drenz" is selling? If so, I would be very interested if it does not sell until xmas.
Yeh man the tube is the way to go, but i have a randall amp similar to the RX-72D and its perfect for the parkway drive sound but thats with my ML2 distortion pedal...the built in distortion is c...r...a....p
So vauge your saying for me to produce nice sounds similar to parkway drive I am going to need to also buy a distortion pedal?
Quote by simmooo!
Hey cheers for that littlephil. I just checked it out then, is it the amp which "drenz" is selling? If so, I would be very interested if it does not sell until xmas.

Yeah thats the one. Send him a message and ask him if he will keep it for you.
I may, although I'm going to prefer new amps to used... We'll wait and see.
Cheers for the helps though mate!
Any Aussie mountain bikers out there?
Join up to Farkin or BMU
Can you get the Peavy Vypyr's in Aus yet? If so, I'd recommend the Vypyr 30 over the Randall and the Cube for sure. Great gain tone you can get out of them, my favourite modeling amp I've played, and actually sounds good loud.
And if you can get them, are they out of your price range like a lot of things are (sadly) in Aus?
I do not think we can, a simple search on the Australian Ebay brought up nothing so I doubt they are out there.
Please somebody prove me wrong.

Also what do people think of Line 6 amps a friend of mine recomended me on, though someone also said theyre sterile and just digatise the guitars sounds.
Anyone used a line 6 that can give me a rating?
Join up to Farkin or BMU
Quote by simmooo!
I do not think we can, a simple search on the Australian Ebay brought up nothing so I doubt they are out there.
Please somebody prove me wrong.

Also what do people think of Line 6 amps a friend of mine recomended me on, though someone also said theyre sterile and just digatise the guitars sounds.
Anyone used a line 6 that can give me a rating?

If its a spider, you can definately do better, if its a flextone or vetta, they're good amps, but theyre way more than $600
Your best bet is to wait until the boxing day sales and use your xmas money + that little more that you have been able to save up and then buy. Boxing day sales are normally pretty big and you should be able to get yourself a nice amp around the $700 at one.
What city are you in?
Check gumtree to as most people don't and there can be some killer bargains on there .
But honestly tube is the way to go man, might as well save up and get one now to help progress your playing than buying one in 6 months and relying on the money from the amp you sell to purchase a new one.
Prom Queen, Red Shore, Parkway all use tube amps .
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Man don't get a line 6, in my opinion there to digital sounding and are pretty gutless, and yeh as for your question before i think to really get that parkway drive sound you need a distortion pedal, i have a Boss ML2 theyre made for metalcore and are very versatile, the lead guitar player from parkway drive was actually using the same one when i saw them earlier this year, but it really depends if you want to spend that extra money on a pedal or not..just have in mind that the randall built in distortion is really bad but when looking for amps im sure the store will be more then happy to let you try them out and see which one you like
Hey mate, I'm from melbourne. I don't plan on purchasing the amp before christmas I'm planning on buying the amp in early january as all the prices will have dropped after the christmas rush.

Also as I said I am a noob when it comes to this, whats a tube amp?
Is it a stack amp when theres the standard "seperate" amp and its ontop and plugged into a speaker?

I am such a noob when it comes to this stuff.
Join up to Farkin or BMU
Last edited by simmooo! at Dec 7, 2008,
Thats we all were at some point, well firstly yeh a stack is the two:head and cab, a tube amp consists vacuum tubes where solid states consist of transistors, theyre just things to increase the power and amplitude of the amp, tubes were the first types of amps thats came out, but it comes down to people saying that tubes have a warmer,clearer and better sound which is true but they are pricey, another thing is that the tubes have to be changed but im not sure how often..i hope this helps
haha we were all the same at one point mate :P.
I don't know the technical terms but basiclly a solidstate amp *generally cheaper* will get its tones from a computer chip and will sound very digital and the sound of your guitar won't be brought out through the amp. A tube amp runs off of 'tubes' which look like this

These little guys make a world of difference.
Your amp will be far louder, sound better at higher volumes as opposed to worse like SS amps. Your tone will sound a whole lot better in general and will not be as harsh, leads will sound far better.

Solidstate amp trying to emulate a tube amp:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=CapxZERSLjY

Tube amp:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Q0ldSVwKw

However you really can't compare the two over youtube.... at all.
One probelm with tubes though is that once ever 1.5 - 3 years you'll need to replace them and the tubes alone can cost $70 - $300 depending on the type of amp you have and you will probably need to have them installed by a pro first time round to.
I think that you should save up for a Bugera 6260 combo and then order a retube off this site, take it to a pro, get it re tubed, enjoy parkway tone for life :p.

Bugera 6260 - http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/cstore/935087000066.html
Bugera 6260 re tube - https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=164&sub_category_id=166

All in all it will probably come to somewhere around the $1200 mark but it is worth in the end. If you open up to second hand gear there are many a bargain to be found, just keep an eye out on melband.
P.S. That Randall RG50TC would be a great choice .

I'll be looking to offload my Krank soon and I'd do that for $1000 with a cabinet. Its a small version of the amp that As I Lay Dying, Prom Queen and Shadows Fall use although its not worth it if your looking to play with band. Just putting it out there :p.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Last edited by howey at Dec 7, 2008,
I think I may go with the Randall and Get a distortion Pedal aswell...
What does the average quality distortion pedal cost, and whats a good one I can get?
Join up to Farkin or BMU
I seriously doubt that you'll need a distortion pedal with it bro. Its a high quality ss amp with ****loads of gain which should be used! Either way go try it out and choose the one that you prefer. Alot of my mates and I all started with pretty average amps and a Multi FX system which gave us delay, reverb, wah, chorus, phaser, flanger and **** like that. It just allowed us to achieve the tones we wanted and get an idea of how to create sounds. That might also be something to look into.

Something like this here.
http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/cstore/930016004355.html
with a
http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/cstore/930033019129.html

Both of which could be found on melband for a total price of about .... $630-ish
Just another option.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD