Ok, I'm doing this out of boredom..somewhat. I'm looking to see how much gain I can possibly get out of my amp as possible. Is it better if I get an OD, then use the level knob to turn up the level, or is a clean boost better? It is important to me that I get all of the actual distortion from the preamp tubes. Some people say that a clean boost is better suited for the purpose. Also anyone know any good clean boosts under $150 USD? Right now I'm looking at the BBE Boosta Grande.

I'm going to go pick one up tomorrow from GC, just to see what it sounds like then return. But who knows if I really like it i might keep it.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
MXR Micro Amp?

ANd yeah, a clean boost will simply increase the volume of your guitar, so it will essentially pump more gain into the amp if you will.

I personally think that it'd be better to get an OD that you like with both a gain and level control (maybe some frequency contouring), because then you'd have access to other controls if you decide that you need them.

Needless to say, I can safely recommend the Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Honestly, I don't want any contouring or shaping. Right now it sounds fine, I'm just looking for raw gain. Even with an OD pedal, I'd have the Drive/Gain at 0, I'd only mess with the level. But some people I hear say that if you just want a signal boost, a clean boost is better than an OD pedal. I'll give a look at those recommendations, thanks
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
The "cleanest" and more transparent clean boost you'll get is from an EQ.
Quote by al112987
The "cleanest" and more transparent clean boost you'll get is from an EQ.

May I ask what the definition is of a clean boost?

Does it mean just a volume boost while leaving your tone untouched? IE clean..

I'm trying to push the tubes in my preamp as hard as possible. What will give me that?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
I wouldn't call it a volume boost so much as a signal boost, that yes, has as little colouring on your tone as possible.

And yes, it will give you more gain, as you're really just increasing the output of your guitar. Think of it like an extra preamp between your guitar and amp.

But yeah, if you don't want any clipping whatsoever from the pedal, an EQ is the cleanest boost you'll probably get.
Quote by al112987
I wouldn't call it a volume boost so much as a signal boost, that yes, has as little colouring on your tone as possible.

And yes, it will give you more gain, as you're really just increasing the output of your guitar. Think of it like an extra preamp between your guitar and amp.

But yeah, if you don't want any clipping whatsoever from the pedal, an EQ is the cleanest boost you'll probably get.

How does that boost I linked a few posts up look?

The Blackstar one
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Well, if you only want your clipping to come from your preamp, then I don't think that pedal will do it for you (since it has it's own gain stage).

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you want to have a gain boost, but not from solid state components in most analog overdrive pedals? Clipping from solid state overdrive units can sound just fine, the problem with using one (say a ts9 or something) to boost overdriven amps (which... really is what a clean boost is for) is that they color the tone and thus sounds a little bit... idk, weird (to me at least).

A great clean boost (though I think it maybe out of your budget) is the ZVex super hard on.
Quote by al112987
Well, if you only want your clipping to come from your preamp, then I don't think that pedal will do it for you (since it has it's own gain stage).

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you want to have a gain boost, but not from solid state components in most analog overdrive pedals? Clipping from solid state overdrive units can sound just fine, the problem with using one (say a ts9 or something) to boost overdriven amps (which... really is what a clean boost is for) is that they color the tone and thus sounds a little bit... idk, weird (to me at least).

A great clean boost (though I think it maybe out of your budget) is the ZVex super hard on.

So that blackstar wouldn't keep the signal clean?

i agree with you on the overdrive + overdriven amp...which is why i want the signal to hit the preamp clean (if coming from SS component)....just really ****in hot. but wouldn't the gain from the blackstar be tube generated?

What do you think of the BBE Boosta Grande vs the MXR?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Dec 7, 2008,
I ended up going with the BBE Booste Grande.

I must say, it sounds absolutely stellar. The preamp already has as much gain as I ever needed for searing high gain leads, but this just adds an extra fatness and cut that sounds amazing. Really brings out chunkiness in rhythm playing. Not to mention a slight gain boost, which is never an unwelcome thing as long as clarity maintained
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups