My parents really support my playing music, and this christmas are determined to buy me a new bass, but my mom set price limit at $300. I'm really into 5-strings so I've spent like a month now searching everywhere for a cheap 5-string that is good, but where I live there is one music store, with one little tiny section for basses. They have like 10 basses in stock total and 7 of those are Squier. Nothing there for me. It sucks to play bass where I'm from.

So far all i have been able to come up with is
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B105-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=516170

The reviews say it are good, but I want an opinion from some people who know what they are talking about.

And if possible can I maybe get some other suggestions please even if it is a 4 string. Thanks for the help.
ive played this at the music store before, im not into 5 string too much but i tryed it, plays AWESOME, nice sleek neck and lightweight body, good tone for playing jazz, slap and whathaveyou
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
i know nothing about basses. but that one looks nice and for 300 bucks i cant imagine what else you could get (again i know nothing about basses).
Ibanez GSR205. active electronics, versatile sound, great feel, I would pick it over that ESP any day.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Look at some of the ibanez 5 strings too. They have a lot that are very cheap.

Take a Day to get out of town and try some basses out. I live 150 miles from the nearest guitar center and I still make it there about every couple of months

Also, keep an eye on craigslist and local ads.

edit* humanity beat me to it.
Also, would you buy a bass from a pawn shop? My mom keeps on telling me I should go down to the pawn shop and see if they have anything. I usually steer clear of anything used because in my opinion, if it still worked, why would somebody get rid of it, but is it worth a shot to go down there and look?
check, but be wary. a few dents, even some missing paint is good. but if the electronics are rusty, the knobs are really loose, the neck is warped/buzzes a lot/has seriously high action, you see rust on the truss rod(what you can see of it),

and make sure you play before you buy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Does your music store by chance stock Greg Bennett stuff? I've seen that brand popping up in a lot of places...excellent quality for what you pay.

Pawn shops are fine, but you really need to look up the original rice of the instrument brfore you buy it...lots of places don't know what they're selling. I've been to a place where all of the instruments were around $10 cheaper than the were new, regardless of condition...bad deal there.

If it were me, I'd be going for a Peavey...check this out.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by the humanity
Ibanez GSR205. active electronics, versatile sound, great feel, I would pick it over that ESP any day.

Go for an ibanez.
I started on an ESP like that and it was god awful.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by infinitybass
Also, would you buy a bass from a pawn shop? My mom keeps on telling me I should go down to the pawn shop and see if they have anything. I usually steer clear of anything used because in my opinion, if it still worked, why would somebody get rid of it, but is it worth a shot to go down there and look?

Going used is the best way to get a higher level instrument for less. Alot of people sell good/high qaulity instruments/guitars for the fact that they know they can get a lot of money for them.

Well I would say earn money to add to the $300 and get the bass you want. Your lucky that they at least condon you playing music and are providing you with SOME money to spend towards it. My parents hate music and hate the fact that I play an instrument, so I had to work and earn my own money for all of my gear. I wouldn't look at "only $300" as a bad thing.
Its a decent bass, i have the B-55 and i have no complaints except for the stock pickups but they do the job and its built like a tank so it will last for a long time
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus