Lately ive been watching lots of vids on youtube and its really demoralizing bc the guitarist are just so good. Ive been playing for about 2 years now and im starting to get really frustrated with my level of playing: i have mediocre speed- play scales at 160bpm-180 max, can barely sweep pick, whenever i improvise- i know the theory but i feel like im just repeating the same licks over and over again, i havnt learned many songs or solos because i usually just write my own but those arent very complex and are mostly on acoustic.
i can amuse a crowd (like my family), but i cant amaze them. im just at a standstill and im just asking how can i take my playing to the next level, what do i need to do.. i practice a ton but i dont know what i should do.

thanks in advance
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Play with other people if possible...Or do something that you'll know will give you a psychological high and compose/practice from there.
well.........what do you like to play?
and sweeping is something you should not learn cos all you will do is sweep and it gets old real fast.
learn some chili peppers. fun to play and easy stuff to learn.
Quote by Bucketheadroolz
and sweeping is something you should not learn cos all you will do is sweep and it gets old real fast.

I have to respectfully disagree with the sweeping thing. It's a great thing to learn and be able to do properly just....don't overdo it.
Quote by Bucketheadroolz

I have to agree with the guy who posted just before I did. Sweeping is certainly a useful skill to know, just as long as you don't use it like most people do. It's a guitar parlor trick. But still, it's also a tool, and you wouldn't take a hammer out of your tool box just because everyone else uses one, would you?
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
thats what I meant guys... Its overused and people will play it over and over again. and when that happens its boring. but it is useful to know but dont overuse it.
i understand that sweeping isn't necessary all the time, but that isnt what im asking, what are practice techniques or anything i should do?
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA