ok so im like a mega noob so how do dist. pedals work, and like how to attach it to the guitar or amp or however it connects to it

also about how much would they cost, yea thnx
lets see, they work by stepping on the pedal, hence the name "stomp box". you need another cable one from the guitar to the pedal and then the pedal to the amp.

A good cheap distortion pedal is the Digitech Grunge, it was the first distortion pedal I ever bought and I still use it.
My first distortion pedal was the DOD Grunge (before DOD was bought out by Digitech but they're the same pedal) too. At the time I thought it was the greatest thing ever (hey, I was 13 at the time) Except now I only ever use it as a door stop. Haha...
Quote by al112987
My first distortion pedal was the DOD Grunge (before DOD was bought out by Digitech but they're the same pedal) too. At the time I thought it was the greatest thing ever (hey, I was 13 at the time) Except now I only ever use it as a door stop. Haha...

haha. It's not the greatest pedal ever but it's a definite for a first buy.
my first distortion pedal was a ds-1, hooked up to a squier sp-10, good times.

at the time i felt it was the best 40 bucks i'd ever spent, then i got a real amp
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by frusciante_funk
I say go for the Boss DS-1... best distortion pedal and it was my first... tough as too

That really depends on the type of music he plays. The ds-1 doesn't have a whole lot of heavyness to it. At least I didn't think so.
I definitely got quite a bit of use from it, I played my first gig with it too, through a 15 watt solid state Fender champ and a Squier strat with a DOD grunge pedal and a Vox wah. I rocked out pretty hard with it too. Haha.

Anyway to the TS:

there are many reasons to get distortion or overdrive pedals, some people just don't like their amp's distortion, some people like me have non-master volume amps so getting overdrive at low volumes just cannot be done, and others just like having something they can use to boost their amp for an extra kick when they play leads, etc.

They can cost anywhere from $20 to $1000.
Metal Muff with Top Boost is the best Metal Distortion for the price.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by frusciante_funk
I say go for the Boss DS-1... best distortion pedal and it was my first... tough as too

correct me if I'm wrong but did you not just post that you only bought the DS-1 today?

if it's your first distortion pedal, how can you honestly say its the best??? or that it's tough after only owning it for one day?
overdrive and distortion are both all about pushing the signal too hard and causing a smooth guitar sound to become harsh...a good visual illustration is all over this site ...the Pod XT listing gives a really good example of what a graph of the distorted signals look like.
I think the DS-2 is a really good pedal.It may not be the best but their popular so you can pick one up/replace one pretty easy and other people will be able to use it easily.
Also if you turn up to a gig and you get told to go D.I into the the P.A you can have your distortion for your rythm then switch to the lead for a solo.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by mikeyElite
my first distortion pedal was a ds-1, hooked up to a squier sp-10, good times.

at the time i felt it was the best 40 bucks i'd ever spent, then i got a real amp

Yep, the SP-10 is the worst amp ever. I went from that to a Vox AD30VT, I only every have it on the lowest power setting, so I'm using something like 2 watts out of 30
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend