I've read in many places to play the guitar they have on display and if you like it, buy that exact one and not a brand new one cuz it's not gna be the EXACT same.

So here's my question. I work at a Best Buy where they just opened a musical instrument section and let me tell you.. the employee discount is just amazing on the guitars (store cost + 5%) but it's like 30 minutes from where I live. There's a guitar center 5 minutes from my house and I went in there playing different guitars that we have at Best Buy and decided on getting a Gibson Les Paul studio... I've played both the one at GC and at BB... and they seem exactly the same.. I'd personally rather get a brand new one..

what do you guys suggest? new one? or the one off the wall?
I hear Gibson's QC is sketchy these days, so I would play it and look at it before buying it. Maybe they'll let you inspect it and try it out before you buy it
if you've played both then i don't see the dilemma. buy the one that plays the best.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
if you've played both then i don't see the dilemma. buy the one that plays the best.

Well im not going to buy it from Guitar Center.. cuz it'll cost me a lot more. I guess i'll just ask them to let me look at a brand new one.. They wont care since i work there
^ Guitar Center price match. If you need the policy, check the site or PM me.
I don't think they'll price match because it's an employee price at best buy
Last edited by Viper786 at Dec 7, 2008,
Play before you buy.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by Chaos Nil
^ Guitar Center price match. If you need the policy, check the site or PM me.

they won't price match an employee discount you silly.
off topic*
i went to best buy today, and man the musical instrument section is awesome, they had top of the line guitars, amps, and other stuff like keyboards and drums. i was really impressed. (especially bc i got to mess around on a bogner alchemist). but yeah, best buy is seriously going to compete with guitar center.

on topic*
id get the one from best buy, they are technically the same so buy the one you get the better deal with
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
I think the above would be void due to that discount not being available to everyone. The price match adheres to retail price im pretty sure.
Gear
------
Burny RLC-50 Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
Vintage 70s Ibanez Custom Acoustic
Vox AD50VT 2x12
Ibanez Weeping Demon WD-7
Quote by Viper786
I've read in many places to play the guitar they have on display and if you like it, buy that exact one and not a brand new one cuz it's not gna be the EXACT same.

So here's my question. I work at a Best Buy where they just opened a musical instrument section and let me tell you.. the employee discount is just amazing on the guitars (store cost + 5%) but it's like 30 minutes from where I live. There's a guitar center 5 minutes from my house and I went in there playing different guitars that we have at Best Buy and decided on getting a Gibson Les Paul studio... I've played both the one at GC and at BB... and they seem exactly the same.. I'd personally rather get a brand new one..

what do you guys suggest? new one? or the one off the wall?

You're a BB employee...
Do you know if I can find out if an instrument section is coming to any of the Best Buy's in my city?
(London, Ontario, Canada)
Quote by tona_107
You're a BB employee...
Do you know if I can find out if an instrument section is coming to any of the Best Buy's in my city?
(London, Ontario, Canada)

To be honest, I have no idea... (by the way London's like 2 hours away from where I live)

I work at a Best Buy in Ann Arbor, MI and it's the highest revenue BB in michigan so im assuming that's why we got it
Oh my bad, I was reading it as 5% off retail. Yeah, sorry cant price match that x_X.
Quote by Viper786
To be honest, I have no idea... (by the way London's like 2 hours away from where I live)

I work at a Best Buy in Ann Arbor, MI and it's the highest revenue BB in michigan so im assuming that's why we got it

Thanks anyways,
and that's cool that you've heard of London haha.
Quote by tona_107
Thanks anyways,
and that's cool that you've heard of London haha.

my cousins live there i used to live in windsor
A good trick, if you ever buy anything that's a display model, haggle with them for a lower price, if it's a display model that's been played buy a fair few people then it's not new is it? Look over it and look for any scratches/dents/swirling and point them out to the sales staff, do not pay full price for it. Like i say, if it's been played by any tom, dick or harry then it's not new!

And yeah, shop around, one guitar can feel and sound totally different to another, even if it's the same model.
I always buy off the floor; you get money off for it being a floor model, and you can try it to make sure everything sits well beforehand. Sure it's a bit beaten, but it's nothing it won't get over the course of your use, unless your like those people who have their (grand)fathers 1959 Les Paul or original run 1954 stratocaster in perfect condition in a case somewhere that is.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
My guitar center has something going on right now where they will match the suggested price + 10%. So if your employee discount is only 5 the GC one would be cheaper
Maybe get the one in the box if you don't like fingerprints but always always always try it before you buy it. Always try it without an amp first also. If it isn't as good make them get out another or another. That said, my friend just got a squire cherryburst out of the box and it was flawless. If you are gibson/epiphone hunting then be afraid, very afraid. Funny because 10 years ago I had to try 12 squires before I found one even playable/tunable.
Quote by aharlequinvow
My guitar center has something going on right now where they will match the suggested price + 10%. So if your employee discount is only 5 the GC one would be cheaper

Thats 10% of the difference. So if you have a $100 item, and price match it to someone who sells it for $90, thats a $10 difference. And 10% of the $10 difference is $1, so you will get the item from them for $89.
Quote by aharlequinvow

I dont think some people are getting it. It's 5% above the store cost.. not 5% off the sticker price... meaning i pay 5% more than what best buy paid the manufacturer to get the g uitar

For example. A usb cable which is 30 dollars would only cost me 99 cents with my discount
All of the guitars I've bought new have came off the wall. With things being made on machines and not by hand anymore... I don't like to take the risk of getting stuck with a piece of ass for a guitar
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Always buy the one you tried out.

This is especially true with Gibson, who have the worst quality control on the planet. I've played £3000 Gibson Custom Shops that are worse than £300 Chinese-made copies.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Never buy a guitar new in the box when you can buy one off the wall. You have to play that model and know that you like it, that's the whole point of testing a guitar. Who cares if a few people have played on it? Within a couple of weeks you'll have played the hell out of it anyways.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
If I were you I would just go in the back and play a few, since you would be saving a couple hundred I assume I would just buy from BestBuy.
Quote by jake911
If I were you I would just go in the back and play a few, since you would be saving a couple hundred I assume I would just buy from BestBuy.

That's what I was sayin'. You work there so go in the back play some of the ones that have not been on the display floor. If you find one you like then buy it.
Quote by budget bassist
A good trick, if you ever buy anything that's a display model, haggle with them for a lower price, if it's a display model that's been played buy a fair few people then it's not new is it? Look over it and look for any scratches/dents/swirling and point them out to the sales staff, do not pay full price for it. Like i say, if it's been played by any tom, dick or harry then it's not new!

And yeah, shop around, one guitar can feel and sound totally different to another, even if it's the same model.

HAHA, the store i shop at would tell you to go away if you did that, there not gonna lower the price just from pick scratches something you`ll put on the guitar in 2 weeks anyway. dents and chips are another story though.

as for the question, buy it at best buy, why are you even asking LOL, if it has a defect it still has a warrenty.

wonder if the best buy in st.kitts are gonna do this LOL, i don`t care anyway, unless therea HUGE differents in price i`ll stick with central anyway, gotta support your local store where they care about there customers
Quote by evening_crow
Play before you buy.

+28476509186509218745098274509872
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by cohen5250
+28476509186509218745098274509872

haha

Well, I must not have phrased my question right. I am buying from Best Buy i'm not asking if I should buy from BB or guitar center. My question was if I should buy the one off the wall or if I should buy a new one in box

I'll just ask them to bring me a new one, and if i like it I'll buy it. If not i'll get the one off the wall because i know i like that one.
Wow so I just got back from work and checked the employee price for the Gibson Les Paul Studio.. and it's 958!!

And yeah I talked to the Musical Instruments supervisor and he said it's cool if i open up a new one and test it out