Page 1 of 2
hey im thinkin about gettin 1 of these two basses
wonderin every1s opinion
please dont just say "go play them"
thats clearly something i WILL do but just wonderin wat ppl around here are thinkin
mm
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
jazz
BB.King +Freddie King+Albert King=three kings of blues!!
Dado23 Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
bassbassbassbassbassbassbassbass
I've played the Jazz, and it's very nice. But hey, I think I say that about most Jazz basses.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I'd go with the Jazz
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
There's a rather big difference between the two, so it comes down to personal preference. I'd go with the Jazz, but that might just not be your cup of tea.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
How i would love to be in your position right now.

The neck on the MM feels a bit slow to me so i'd go jazz but it's up to you really.
The Musicman has actives so is more versatile, regarding Fenders the 70s were better known as the dark ages and for a very good reason though hopefuly these reissues are of better quality.
I'd go for the Musicman.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Bass First
How i would love to be in your position right now.

The neck on the MM feels a bit slow to me so i'd go jazz but it's up to you really.

That is more than likely down to the setup on the one you tried.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
stingray necks are a bit fat, but very playable if set up correctly. Plus the musicman has this really nice growl that i just love! Not to mention US fenders have some VERY questionable quality control, you'll never find a bad musicman. Ever. Go for the musicman.

Also the stingray comes in some stunning finishes these days
jazz
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I have the 75 reissue jazz and let me say that it is the best bass ive ever played. Ive played a few Pedullas, tones of MM, Bongos, Ibanezs, Warwicks when i was looking for a new bass and this one blew them all away. And its pickup covers just scream "I have class."
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
thanks a lot 4 the answers
i play any rock a little jazz
some heavy stuff
i find the neck of the stingray a little uncomfortable but it doesnt slow me down really and i think i cud get used to it
I would say Musicman due to the better QC and higher overall quality.

If I could have any current Fender, it would be an '08 American Standard Precision 4-string in olympic white with a rosewood fingerboard. Any Musicman, well... I already own it. But a 5-string in the same color/wood configuration would be outstanding. Another Musicman I'd be interested in is a '70s pre-Fender with a natural finish and rosewood fingerboard.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by bassmastah5
just throwing this out there
if u cud have ANY FENDER OR MUSICMAN
wat wud u chose?

o a musicman bongo hh and pezio in orange and orange swirl pick gaurd
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by bassmastah5
thanks a lot 4 the answers
i play any rock a little jazz
some heavy stuff
i find the neck of the stingray a little uncomfortable but it doesnt slow me down really and i think i cud get used to it

You will get used to it if you persevere, I had the same feel when I picked one up for the first time but the growl you get out of it more than makes up for it
Why dont you go for an american standard jazz instead maybe. I would go with the jazz but i do like those Mm stingrays alot.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by bassmastah5
just throwing this out there
if u cud have ANY FENDER OR MUSICMAN
wat wud u chose?

Fender: Marcus Miller Jazz
Musicman: Stingray 5

both are fantaaastic basses. I'd probably end up getting the Stingray, though.
If you find the necks on Stingrays uncomfortable then why not try a Sterling?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Of those two It'd be a tossup, mainly because I haven't played the 75RI Jazz, so I'm drawing conclusion off experiences with Pre-08 Jazz basses (American). Of the two I'd probably take the Jazz, simply because If I were to get a Musicman I'd jump on the Bongo over the 'Ray anyday. Why? Because quite simply it is like a Stingray on steroids. Mmmmm, lush. That Isn't a mark against Jazz basses though, quite the opposite, but Musicman is just more of 'My thing' as you would say, as basses with Jazz style pickups are more attractive when they are of the Warwick variety Just for the record, if I were to buy a Fender, It'd either be the 62(?)RI Jazz or the Marcus Miller Sig in white.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
thanks a lot
let me sum up some things
i like the looks of the ray a lot more than sterling and both their sound
i also like the looks of a jazz bass but i absolutely love the natural wood look
wats the diff. between a marcus miller jazz and the '75 ri???
r they both american?
can some1 tell me wat joe troy from rx bandits / the sound of animals fighting plays?
Quote by bassmastah5
thanks a lot
let me sum up some things
i like the looks of the ray a lot more than sterling and both their sound
i also like the looks of a jazz bass but i absolutely love the natural wood look
wats the diff. between a marcus miller jazz and the '75 ri???
r they both american?

The 75 reissue is american, but i think the marcus miller is made in japan. Still good though.

You should get a sterling, they look fairly similar to the ray and have a nicer neck.

If i could have any musicman or any fender jazz, i'd pick a musicman sterling 4HH in the limited edition sequoia gold with a maple board. Yum.
I would get an HH Sterling in transparent red, black pickguard, and maple fingerboard
and a deluxe jazz ash in butterscotch blonde, with another maple fingerboard. or an Urge II that isn't so dark, like a white pickguard or something.

the Fender or Musicman regardless, I would probably mod either to death.

but if you like jazz feel with the Musicman sound, go for a sterling. you will be very pleased.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
yea.i like the sterling but the looks arent there and the neck isnt a big issue for me
im really liken the stingray HH
i heard the versatility is unbelievable
and i like the three way switch
One sec have you played them both yet, have you played a sterling, have you played an american standard, marcus miller. If not go out and play now. If your just taking this from looks and looking up soundclips ten you dont know what you want.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I would like a Stingray 5 HH, I could never understand why they discontinued the 70s 2 pick up MM Sabre.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
The thing about the Marcus Miller that attracts me is the active preamp, switchable to passive to I believe. You just get so much balls with active electronics, although it has been said the Marcus Miller preamp can be harsh and trebly at times (In other peoples opinions, my experiences say it is fine). Don't be turned off by the fact it isn't American, the Japanese builds are just as good quality.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I own the 75 RI Jazz and couldn't imagine ever wanting to trade it for a Stingray.
Quote by fleajr_1412
If you find the necks on Stingrays uncomfortable then why not try a Sterling?

Why? Does the Sterling have a thinner neck?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Quote by NakedBassist
Why? Does the Sterling have a thinner neck?

stingray=Precision feel
sterling=Jazz feel

roughly.

and yes.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

i heard the new jazz necks on the standards are exactly like the p-basses which suck
its a friggen block of wood
Quote by bassmastah5
i heard the new jazz necks on the standards are exactly like the p-basses which suck
its a friggen block of wood

you've heard wrong.

I think thin neck lovers would go up in arms if they put P-bass necks on jazzes.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by bassmastah5
can some1 tell me wat joe troy from rx bandits / the sound of animals fighting plays?

No offense but how is someone that types like this getting a music man bass?...
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Page 1 of 2