As someone who is used to Wizard-II neck (or more correctly, the Wizard II on SA series), what is the benefit of a thick neck, especially for someone with a small hand like I do? (I am really debating whether to go with the C-7 FR due to this)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Quote by bucky_2300
Thick as in wide, or thick as in depth?

Thick as in depth – I was asking how thin Schecter C7's necks are, and all my response are that they are Les Paul thick. Unless i am mistaken.

I can see Wide neck has benefits, but not thickness (as in depth)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
I think thick necks are more comfortable. But I play a lot faster on a thin neck. I have big hands though
I have small hands and I still prefer a thick neck. Thin necks give me cramps and just don't feel right. I'd rather play on a baseball bat than a 2x4 is what I'm getting at.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Well, I just want to know, because I need to debate whether I want an expensive, thin 22-fret neck (Ibanez S7320) or a cheap, thick 24-fret neck (Schecter C7 FR)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
i'm sure there is a difference in sound....i do not have to much experience with really thick, or really thin necks but i am sure the amount of wood makes a difference in sound
I never felt comfortable on a really thin neck. I think it's what feels best to you.
And I also think that the idea that a thin neck enables faster playing is misleading. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian...
Quote by Johnthewrench
I never felt comfortable on a really thin neck. I think it's what feels best to you.
And I also think that the idea that a thin neck enables faster playing is misleading. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian...

+1. If you play faster on a thin neck, well and good. I cramp up up thin necks, so thicker is better for me. I have big hands too, so reach isn't an issue.
Quote by Jestersage
Well, I just want to know, because I need to debate whether I want an expensive, thin 22-fret neck (Ibanez S7320) or a cheap, thick 24-fret neck (Schecter C7 FR)

As much as I hate to say it, if the Ibanez is fundamentally a better guitar I'd definitely go with that, but I doubt it will be. Try them both, see how you like the necks and then buy whichever you like.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Thick necks have a solid feeling to them, you can feel them more. Thin necks don't really feel like a guitar. There's a mystical connection between my guitar and my soul when I play on a thick neck. Thin necks feel like nothing. Not a bad thing. It just feels less present. Try them out yourself
There is no such thing as a "benefit of a *neck size here* neck" IMO. I know people who can play like Malmsteen on a Wizard neck, I can't play for crap on one. From the same cue, all they can do on a 50's profile chunky Gibson neck is chords(and even then they often fail with those), and I can shred on those. It really all comes down to what's most comfortable in each players hand, the whole idea of a thin neck being a "fast" neck and making you better 100% of the time without fail is sheer marketing idiocy.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
In that case, should I go for versatility(Schecter C7 FR), or go for stability, control and speed (S7320)?

I have problems with C-7 because of my short kiddy fingers and small hands, but I like it's tone and trem feel better than S7320. Obviously, S7320 just feel natural (since I have SA120) and the trem seems stable, but the 2-less frets made me worry.

The thing is that I know I can sand down the neck with relatively less efforts than adding two frets (close to impossible if not outright impossible)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
i perfer thin necks because thick necks just feel bulky in my hands although i have big hands.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Jestersage
In that case, should I go for versatility(Schecter C7 FR), or go for stability, control and speed (S7320)?

I have problems with C-7 because of my short kiddy fingers and small hands, but I like it's tone and trem feel better than S7320. Obviously, S7320 just feel natural (since I have SA120) and the trem seems stable, but the 2-less frets made me worry.

The thing is that I know I can sand down the neck with relatively less efforts than adding two frets (close to impossible if not outright impossible)

So as I ask for the question, which would you pick(even relative to your own ability), versatility or control?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
I would get the Ibanez for the unfinished neck. Does the amount of frets really matter? 22 is enough
I've got rather big hands and the thin Ibanez necks makes my hand hurt after awhile. Don't think that thin automatically makes you play any faster. Michael Angelo Batio and Malmsteen play a regular ol' neck and they're speed beasts
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
^They also have big hands. I don't. People still mistake me for a high school students when I am already 23. Pus, I am a "typical small Asian"
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Malmsteen's hands aren't that big I don't think. Maybe I'm wrong?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Not too sure. I wear size 7 shoes, so...
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Preference mainly.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
it doesnt matter to me

but i prefer anything satin finished over laquered

also wet play-doh is tasty ****
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Well if you already own an ibanez you might as well get another as long as you don't have to many issues with the 'feel' of your current one.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
totally personal preference.

if you like the feel of the ibanez necks then go for it, but i personally think a thicker neck offers thicker tone. but i like heavier guitars as I like the solid feel...i've never wanted a light guitar, as although they're fun to play on they feel a bit toyish to me *shrugs* it's just my preference... and i'd rather get used to a thicker neck and be faster when trying out a friends ibby or other thinner necked guitar than be lightning fast on my ibby (if i had one) and jump onto a friends LP and be heaps slower..

Love Schecters btw =)
I'd say get the Schecter, simply because you already have a same type guitar as the Ibanez, and that way you'll get used to different kinds of neck which is good so you won't get the problem all these others have of being awesome players but not being able to play **** on a thin neck (or vice versa)
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Just so you know, to me at least, schecter necks feel MUCH thicker than Les paul necks IMO.

Many Schecters feel great but theres always been those one or two at GC that I pick up and feel like im holding an actual basesball bat in my hand.

Never felt a les paul feel like that though.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by kaosfire
Just so you know, to me at least, schecter necks feel MUCH thicker than Les paul necks IMO.

Many Schecters feel great but theres always been those one or two at GC that I pick up and feel like im holding an actual basesball bat in my hand.

Never felt a les paul feel like that though.

Play a '53 and say that, I dare you.

In fact the '58 and '59 necks (The smallest of the big necks) are bigger. They might be thicker than the new Gibson USA rounded profile, but definitely not the reissue profiles.

It's all preference, although some people say that you get a thicker tone and more sustain with a bigger neck.

I'm one of those ignorant people.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's all preference, although some people say that you get a thicker tone and more sustain with a bigger neck.
In theory you do on the simple basis that more wood mass = more sustain and more low-end response.

Quote by Nightfyre
+1. If you play faster on a thin neck, well and good. I cramp up up thin necks, so thicker is better for me. I have big hands too, so reach isn't an issue.
Same here. My hand cramps up on a Ibanez Wizard II neck, I can't play more than about a minute and a half before I have to stop because it's just too painful to use. On the other hand my '59 Gibson has a pretty thick neck and that's the most comfortable neck I've ever played, I can play faster and better on it for longer than any other neck.

As far as what's best for OP - go to a store, try both guitars out. Stop worrying about what other people prefer or what sounds the best form the tech specs or whatever else; just go out, try them both, buy whichever one that feels and sounds better to you. That's all that ever matters.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
In theory you do on the simple basis that more wood mass = more sustain and more low-end response.

Same here. My hand cramps up on a Ibanez Wizard II neck, I can't play more than about a minute and a half before I have to stop because it's just too painful to use. On the other hand my '59 Gibson has a pretty thick neck and that's the most comfortable neck I've ever played, I can play faster and better on it for longer than any other neck.

I'm going to have to plus one that as well. I can play pretty speedy on big and chunky necks.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have an ibanez with a wizard II and went to a store a few months ago and tried the schecter and i didnt even notice or have any problem at all and im 5'6 with pretty small hands. I played just as well as i do on my gutiar. So to me it doesnt really make much of a difference.
I personally like thicker necks. I just think that they are easier to play on.
Quote by sifon
I have an ibanez with a wizard II and went to a store a few months ago and tried the schecter and i didnt even notice or have any problem at all and im 5'6 with pretty small hands. I played just as well as i do on my gutiar. So to me it doesnt really make much of a difference.

I hope you are right... In that case I may give C-7 a try (the only dealer in Vancouver do not have it in stock, and the storekeeper don't even know what's a drumstick is...)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
For most people, they will say it has to do with your hand size (Ive got big hands, so thicker is comfortable for me) but there are exceptions. play some les pauls and see if you like it.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50