is it bad to leave your guitar tuned like this from say one night to the next afternoon? i have been tuning it back to standard when i'm done playing but i've read it's not good for the strings to keep tuning back and forth.
I just googled it and apparently the extra tension can be bad for the neck, do you use thin strings cause they will be better for it
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I doubt it will be bad for the neck. Acoustic guitar necks are made to be extremely sturdy. They can take quite a lot of tension.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i'm using gibson light strings on it right now. just seems like a lot of tension to have on the neck.
I use Open E tuning alot and i just leave it for as long as i need to, then tune it back. Shouldnt be a problem if a simple open tuning damages your guitar obviously you need a higher quality instrument quite frankly.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Retuning the guitar from standard to E D or G a lot can damage the strings - I used to break a lot of G strings at the tuner "eye" when I retuned frequently (don't cut the excess length off, a reef knot above the nut can save buying a new set of strings).
The neck should stand the extra tension with light strings on a regular basis ... but I wouldn't leave it like that with anything heavier.