Poll Options
View poll results: Pick or hand?
Pick
54 61%
Hand
35 39%
Voters: 89.
I find that using my hand is a lot more rhythmic
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
i chose pick, i rarely play without one...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Hands hands down.

Seriously, feels more rhythmical to me.
Gear(Sucks):
Aria STG Series Strat
Yamaha F310P Acoustic
BOSS DS-2 Distortion.
RMS 10 Watt Practice Amp

Wishlist:
New guitar
Brawl: 2578 4543 4918
Both...will often play with a pick in my mouth so i can swap...although that is more on electric
For strumming, picks for sure. I use really thick ones too. Up to 3mm picks(absolutely no give). I find that they have a lot more tone to give than thin picks(although there's a definite place and time for thinner picks as well).
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I like to use a mixture on acoustic. You have a lot more control using your hands, but picks are so much better for strumming, for me anyway.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
I strum with the hand sometimes using the thumbnail on the up and fingernails on the down...usually if doing a lot of muting
i started playing with my fingers cause i play piano first, and i'm still better with my fingers, i use my pick more just cause i know i have to get better at it.
I prefer hands if I dont need the projection as there a lot less restrictive I find.
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
hands, though I'm not very good with a pick, I do have picks but I would only use them in songs where its all strumming, and little picking work. Like Green days 'time of your life' and Blink 182's 'dammit'
Well, i player fingerpicking, and while using your fingers doesnt make the notes as pronounced, it keeps the attack lower, and you dont want high attack for delta, lol.
Strumming, I USUALLY use a pick, unless it's in a song that I've been fingerpicking a lot in, or that you need to fingerpick. A lot of Jack Johnson songs are like that, and I've really been loving playing Jack Johnson lately His songs are really fun to play
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
always with pick because i bite my nails and playing with flesh doesnt get very good reponse from steel strings
it sucks cuz i learned on a classical and so now i rarely get to show off my finger skillzes ):

"I have better things to do...
Like play with my balls."

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

if it's just pure strumming, i also think playing with hands is more rythmic. it allows you to get a wider variety of sounds, and you can do a lot of different mutes and slaps.....definitely wears on the fingers though, and it can start to hurt.......
i've been finger picking a lot more as of late; but when strumming i'll use a pick. I need to stop biting my nails aswell so i can strum with them (i've had that bad habit for about 22 years now).
Quote by Gerard_xD
Who walks about without shoes? You're lucky she didn't arrest you.
I started off with a pick, unless i was fingerpicking, then i put the pick in my mouth. When i started singing it became a hassle to switch back and forth so now i just use the hand.
I use my long nails, but I also use a thumbpick.

So it's like, I have a pick and a hand. It's a two in one thing for me.
I can strum faster without a pick
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
for strumming chords i pretty much always use a pick
part of the "Right-handed guitarists that are actually Left-handed otherwise " group
Quote by equaltocody
I started off with a pick, unless i was fingerpicking, then i put the pick in my mouth.

Yeah, this is what I do, though I've been doing a ton of fingerpicking lately, meaning, I always have my pick in my mouth.
A bit hard to talk to people.

"Oh, what's that your playing?"
"Ith dtht in th wnd."
"What?"
classical guitar or bass I'm using my fingers.
I prefer the sound.

But electric or acoustic I'm using a pick 99% of the time
If the song is mostly fingerpicked, then I play the whole thing sans pick - otherwise I use a pick.

I also use hybrid picking pretty often.

So, I guess you could say it depends on the song.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
I use a thumbpick, +fingernail for fingerpicking. On acoustic/classical, I use the fingernail as a pick, and sometimes on electric too.
Hands, you have far more control over what you want to hit and how you want to hit it, but you dont get the clear sound of a pick, I have to admit.