is it any good? whats the RRP for it? im looking for a flea tone and i heard this is what he used. its mainly for experimenting and tryin to incorporate into my band. also i cant try it before i buy but i can try the Ashdown Envelope Filter so can i compare it to that or anythinng else?

also can someone recomend a really good envelope filter, im looking for a flea-ish sort of tone but it doesnt matter. dont worry about price range at the moment
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Last edited by sonsie at Dec 7, 2008,
The Q-tron is a fairly flexible filter with plenty of knobs to fiddle with, but it isn't especially subtle. It really responds to your dynamics if you set the gain in a position where it has any use. I have one and quite enjoy it, but I'm not an envelope filter freak.

For retail prices, just use google. It would have taken you 5 minutes max.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ok sorry about that but im in Australia and i cant find any shops that sell and i saw one in the US for 250 on ebay so i was just wondering

anyways any other good/high-end/recommendable e. filters i should know about?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
ok sorry about that but im in Australia and i cant find any shops that sell and i saw one in the US for 250 on ebay so i was just wondering

anyways any other good/high-end/recommendable e. filters i should know about?

There are hundreds of filters. A lot of big brands sell one, and loads of boutique companies sell them as well. Seriously, just go to as many shops as you can and try as many as you can.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ok well thanks...i guess but it would if you narrow down please?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
ok well thanks...i guess but it would if you narrow down please?

As I said, I am not an expert with envelope filters. As they depend so much on taste, I would say to go to all the shops you can reasonably make it to and spend a good couple of hours with each one. It took me a week or two to fully get to grips with my Q-tron to the point where I can dial in the sounds I am looking for.

Budget also plays a massive role. If you want to go for a vintage mu-tron III, it will cost you. Same for the meatball etc., although Barge Concepts have released the grinder, which is a meatball clone and cost far less than the originals sell for now. Still costs $400 (US).

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ok thanks for your help il go check some out
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
also can anyone else recommend any?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
is it any good? whats the RRP for it? im looking for a flea tone and i heard this is what he used. its mainly for experimenting and tryin to incorporate into my band. also i cant try it before i buy but i can try the Ashdown Envelope Filter so can i compare it to that or anythinng else?

also can someone recomend a really good envelope filter, im looking for a flea-ish sort of tone but it doesnt matter. dont worry about price range at the moment

dod-fx25b what he used for BSSM I believe, Q-tron for SA.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
which would you say is better? and can you tell me anything about DOD?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
which would you say is better? and can you tell me anything about DOD?

DOD FX25b has a fairly good sound but the volume drop makes it hardly usable, for $40 is isn't bad.

I've done a fair about of research on envelope filters and the Q-Tron + seems to be the best you can get new without going broke.
thanks and is there much difference between the q-tron and the + or they the same thing? also why is there such a big volume drop in the DOD because i really loved the filter in BSSM
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by Miss G
DOD FX25b has a fairly good sound but the volume drop makes it hardly usable, for $40 is isn't bad.

I've done a fair about of research on envelope filters and the Q-Tron + seems to be the best you can get new without going broke.

the volume drop is only there if you scoop you mids, the sound of the dod is orgasmic. Better than the Q-tron if you ask me

these say it all really:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAlAp2PUJ6I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S90njiGg_XU

It might actually be 5 I can't remember, but if you watch through whatever the correct one is you will never consider any other pedal.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave
the volume drop is only there if you scoop you mids, the sound of the dod is orgasmic. Better than the Q-tron if you ask me

these say it all really:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAlAp2PUJ6I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S90njiGg_XU

It might actually be 5 I can't remember, but if you watch through whatever the correct one is you will never consider any other pedal.

I actually don't like that envelope filter sound. Going by those sample, I wouldn't get it.

And the Q-tron+ has an effects loop which is very useful for putting effects in before the effect, but after the envelope has been taken. Very good for synthy fuzz-filter sounds.

It also has a sweep speed control, so the filter can either follow the envelope really quickly for a very quick sweep after you play, or it can get a slight delay, which takes a bit of the edge of it.

However, the Qtrons can have volume spikes on a lot of settings. You really have to watch how hard you dig in.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

However, the Qtrons can have volume spikes on a lot of settings. You really have to watch how hard you dig in.

yeah, its the only bad thing about it. quite annoying though. you have to really play with it to get it right.

To be honest i never really use it other than for messing around and pretending to be Bootsy.
+1 for the FX25. I have one, it cost me very little, and it's a joy to use. Very tactile, and also very adjustable, considering DOD's usual all-or-nothing approach.
My only reservation's the lack of the blend pot (only the B model has it). Also, the volume drop can be avoided by using a power supply!
I'd still have a Q-Tron tho'. And a Meatball...lol
Flea used the DOD FX25 (dark green, two knobs) for the master sessions, you can find the older models on ebay. Supposedly he used a dying original Mutron on BSSM. He uses/used an older Q-Tron live. They just discontinued the FX25b, maybe they will come out with a new model soon?

Oh and I've tried every setting with the FX25b no matter what I always get a volume drop with all of my basses and guitar.
Quote by Miss G
Flea used the DOD FX25 (dark green, two knobs) for the master sessions, you can find the older models on ebay. Supposedly he used a dying original Mutron on BSSM. He uses/used an older Q-Tron live. They just discontinued the FX25b, maybe they will come out with a new model soon?

Oh and I've tried every setting with the FX25b no matter what I always get a volume drop with all of my basses and guitar.

I thought it was dying just for sir pyscho :shrugs:

try flat eq no tone knob, you should be able to eliminate it that way.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Quote by slaptasticdave
I thought it was dying just for sir pyscho :shrugs:

try flat eq no tone knob, you should be able to eliminate it that way.

He could have used something different, I just assumed he used it for the album because that could explain why it was dying lol. What other BSSM songs does he use an envelope filter on? All I can remember is sir psycho and power of equality.

I can say that with my FX25b, I can get very close to the sir psycho sexy tone.
I can tell you to avoid the Digitech. I mainly use mine for scaring the cats.

Not to hijack the thread but if someone has a Mutron I'd love to hear what they think of it btw.
Quote by anarkee
I can tell you to avoid the Digitech. I mainly use mine for scaring the cats.

I second this notion, my parents once bought me a digitech pedal and I told them I needed to return it without even trying it a little. I then special ordered the fx-25b, I would imagine the mutron is very funky tho.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
i want that sort of BSSM sound but i cant try it before i buy it. should i still get it? BTW it cost $180 in AUS
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Last edited by sonsie at Dec 9, 2008,
Apparently it was the BATTERY that was dying, and it gave a unique sound to the pedal as the power drained. so i heard somewhere, anyway...