Since I'm living in Bosnia, and variety of possible accessories for guitars and such is quite limited, I'm looking for a way to improvise. Anyhow, I've been wanting to go to drop C or standard C tuning, as I'm playing mostly death metal and stuff. The thing what I want to ask is, is it ok to have bass strings on guitar? Will there be any ****-ups and will they cause any problems, because I need "fatter" strings for lower tunings and I can't find em here unless I specially order it for myself, and that costs money :/

Anyhow, what's your opinion on this?
I've seen it done, but it was in a noise-rock band so I didn't get a good idea of how it sounds haha. Mostly it sounded like GRRRRR WHUGGA WHUGGA CHIKA WHUG WHUG GRRRRRRRRRRR
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Bass strings?

You're crazy, the ammount of tension needed to get them in tune would be insane. =\

Try tune your guitar strings up a 6th.

There are many other implications but I will probably make a fool of myself and be proven incorrect.
Yeah bass strings will be far to heavy for that.

Meshuggah use a bass string for their low F though apparently. But i wouldn't recommend you try it at home.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
I doubt the strings would even fit into the nut unless you filed the nit down which is just insane, also you'd need to buy 2 packs of bass strings, which aint cheap (the ones i use re £35 a pop) so you'd probably be cheaper ordering in strings from the internet, its not THAT expensive.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Would they even fit on your guitar?
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
They would most likely snap the neck of guitar with the amount of tension needed.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
They would most likely snap the neck of guitar with the amount of tension needed.
Absolutely not true. I have seen it done, with a Squier Strat no less, so I can say with 100% confidence that a bass string will not snap a guitar neck. Whether this guy's problem will be solved by a bass string is a separate issue.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
come here to croatia we're close :P
very cheap strings.. and that drop C tuning isn't that low, can't you make it with your's?
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by AndroCRO
come here to croatia we're close :P
very cheap strings.. and that drop C tuning isn't that low, can't you make it with your's?

Most of em misunderstood me ^^

I wouldn't go that far to have like 4th bass string on guitar, I was thinking the 1st one, from what I've seen, there are a lot of bands that use even thicker strings than first one on bass guitar.

I can't make it to drop C with these I have :/, the thickest here are .49 for 6th string I assume, but once it goes to C# it gets out of tune and hits the frets.

Well, I was just asking, was expecting some flamage, but not this much ^^
well.. that could work, but what with other strings?
btw, my 6th is .54 and i can use drop A
Quote by AndroCRO
well.. that could work, but what with other strings?
btw, my 6th is .54 and i can use drop A

I tried drop C with mine, I guess it's somewhere between .48 and .51, and it doesn't sound very well , gets out of tune quickly. Although I have a ZR tremolo and I can play for hours in standard D and still be in tune, either my Ibanez S470 was not cut out for the lower tunings or I don't know what ^^

I'll probably stay in D standard for covers sake, Kreator, Death, Sepultura and some other bands that play in D# like Slayer, Metallica, old Morbid Angel, Iced Earth etc, but it's still nice to try out something new ^^
I think it would warp your neck but Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath put bass strings on his strat when he realised he couldn't keep up with Iommi on guitar
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.