hey, im thinking of rewiring my strat, since im not using the middle pickup, im planning of taking it out, so the bridge and neck pickups are the only ones in place, then im going to put independent volume control for each pickup, then a 3 way switch.

can that be possible?

i recently looked at a les paul wiring diagram, but just imagining that the tone knobs arent there. is that right?
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
It is possible but I think the middle pickup is normally reverse polarity to suppress the 60hz hum that singles suffer from. Easy way to check would be to see if theres more 'noise' when just a single is selected than if say neck + middle or bridge + middle are selected.

If it is you can just put the middle in the neck position to keep the hum suppression. The output shouldnt be noticeably different.

Also SD do some diagrams like this one.

Ignore the fact they're tele pickups and the wires may not be the same colour but that schematic should work for 2 SC + 2 volume pots.
I say you could try to go for it, but what about the pickguard?
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Kai07
I say you could try to go for it, but what about the pickguard?

i will just retain it there, the middle pickup slot will be open, or i can use some ducktape there. the 3 way switch im talking about is like one of those on les pauls.

the controls will be bridge volume - - 3 way - - neck volume,

its like an ibanez but only single coils.

What you usually find in a set of 3 is that the centre pu has its magnet the other way round to the other two, and they get slightly "hotter" as you move from neck to bridge. Because the set is made that way, you can actually rig the 2 and 4 positions on a 5 position switch to give N+M humbucking and M+B humbucking, like on a Nashville Tele.

I can understand your thinking, but you lose a lot of your functions if you go for separate controls on 2 pick-ups. I think you want to "kick up " from rhythm playing to lead as simply as possible - am I right?
I would go for an independent volume on the front pickup, and set the other two controls as a master volume and tone. That way, you can get that instant "kick" from rhythm playing to lead playing from the switch, and all the other tonal possibilities are still there.

There are lots of ways to wire a Strat ...
Quote by dotfret
What you usually find in a set of 3 is that the centre pu has its magnet the other way round to the other two, and they get slightly "hotter" as you move from neck to bridge. Because the set is made that way, you can actually rig the 2 and 4 positions on a 5 position switch to give N+M humbucking and M+B humbucking, like on a Nashville Tele.

I can understand your thinking, but you lose a lot of your functions if you go for separate controls on 2 pick-ups. I think you want to "kick up " from rhythm playing to lead as simply as possible - am I right?
I would go for an independent volume on the front pickup, and set the other two controls as a master volume and tone. That way, you can get that instant "kick" from rhythm playing to lead playing from the switch, and all the other tonal possibilities are still there.

There are lots of ways to wire a Strat ...

yes you are indeed.
alright, you made me change my mind.
im gonna paint my pick guard instead, and change knobs.