im teaching someone whos never picked up a guitar in the near future

not sure about what i can do though having been self taught myself
heres the plan so far:
  • Smoke on the water (obvz)
  • Notes on a guitar neck
  • basic chords like a, b, c etc.
  • power chords
  • couple of scales

is there any easy chord songs i can teach them?
remember first lesson for them and me!
Worst. Teacher. Ever.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
any nirvana song

wait, is he like asian? you could learn him to shred in like one hour
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
1) Go to the phone book.
2) Find a pro teachers number.
3) Give them the number.
4) Tell him to arrange real lessons.
5) Everybody wins, nobody profits.
  • Smoke on the water (obvz) - this shouldn't be the first thing
  • Notes on a guitar neck - this should be the first thing
  • basic chords like a, b, c etc. - ok but B is not a basic chord... bar chords requires weeks of practice... you should start with Em, E, Am, C
  • power chords - after bar chords
  • couple of scales - not now, let your students learn all the other stuffs first
Last edited by Poglia at Dec 7, 2008,
from your avatar/title, I suggest that you cancel.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
wow being put down here, thanks for the useful advice those that gave it!

and hes not asian or a he!

its a free lesson as well, they're just a friend!
To summarize from my articles:
1. First, teach him the parts of the guitar and what they're for, then how to hold it and how to hold a pick, then how to tune it
2. Then, some chords: the easy ones first, the open chords like A, Am, E, Em, etc., followed by barre chords, then power chords
3. Give him some easy songs to learn, using only chords (Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door for example)
4. Then, you can teach him the basics of scales (in my article, I use the Am Pentatonic) and improvisation/soloing
5. Add the left and right hand techniques from my articles and you'll have your work to do, I guess!

Cheers
Quote by Lord Waltaa
any nirvana song

wait, is he like asian? you could learn him to shred in like one hour

TEACH!
nocaps
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
ok update
  • Anatomy of guitar
  • Notes on guitar neck
  • some basic chords
  • How to read tab
  • Pentatonic scales along with alternate picking

any easy chord songs i could teach?
Quote by ZeGuitarist
To summarize from my articles:
1. First, teach him the parts of the guitar and what they're for, then how to hold it and how to hold a pick, then how to tune it
2. Then, some chords: the easy ones first, the open chords like A, Am, E, Em, etc., followed by barre chords, then power chords
3. Give him some easy songs to learn, using only chords (Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door for example)
4. Then, you can teach him the basics of scales (in my article, I use the Am Pentatonic) and improvisation/soloing
5. Add the left and right hand techniques from my articles and you'll have your work to do, I guess!

Cheers

your useful cheers

/mancrush
I tought my friends to play guitar after school and now most of them are forming bands.

Teach G first, so they can get used to using their fingers.

Then Em, move on to D and then C.

And then show them how to play let it be by the beatles.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by a6l6e6x1
ok update
  • Anatomy of guitar
  • Notes on guitar neck
  • some basic chords
  • How to read tab
  • Pentatonic scales along with alternate picking

any easy chord songs i could teach?

Let me fix that:
  • Anatomy of guitar
  • How to read tab
  • Some basic chords: songs like Yellow (Coldplay), Knocking on Heavens Door (Dylan), etc.
  • Scales theory & Notes on guitar neck
  • Pentatonic scales & Alternate picking

You'll want to teach them chords first, beginning players always like to get to the playing instead of learning a lot of theory first. So, chords first, use some easy chord songs, I suggested some... That will keep him busy for some time. Then some simple scales theory and the position of the notes on the fretboard, along with alternate picking technique, so that he can learn solos.
scales should wait a bit. most dont learn them on the first day.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Let me fix that:
  • Anatomy of guitar
  • How to read tab
  • Some basic chords: songs like Yellow (Coldplay), Knocking on Heavens Door (Dylan), etc.
  • Scales theory & Notes on guitar neck
  • Pentatonic scales & Alternate picking

You'll want to teach them chords first, beginning players always like to get to the playing instead of learning a lot of theory first. So, chords first, use some easy chord songs, I suggested some... That will keep him busy for some time. Then some simple scales theory and the position of the notes on the fretboard, along with alternate picking technique, so that he can learn solos.

at the end of the lesson im gonna ask them to come up with some songs they would like to learn on guitar (hopefully not dragonforce) and ill help them out with them so it stays entertaining for them

coldplay uses B chord which might be a bit tricky for the first lesson no? ill look at knocking on heavens door in a minute

cheers

EDIT: knocking on heavens door looks promising
Quote by Ovenman
TEACH!
nocaps

oh, sorry:P well, I be the best at every language in the world:P

I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
how long have u been playing?

3 and a half years

but im told im the best guitarist in the school frequently
What about teaching them to read music. Not tabs, but sheet music. Personally I think it's necessary to be able to read sheet music, tabs, and chord-charts/lead-sheets.

I disappoints me when guitarists pass over the process of learning to read sheet music. Sometimes it can be a really nice skill to have.

So I suggest teaching that as well as tableture.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by a6l6e6x1
3 and a half years

LOL.

If I had a guitar teacher who said "Right. Welcome Kyle. Let's get you started! Pick up your guitar, and look at what I do.... Dum Dum Dummmmm, Dum Dum - Dum Dummmmm".

I would've walked out right there.

Imo, teach them about fretwork and notes; point out things like standard tuning, 12th fret and octaves, and enharmonic equivalents. Basic stuff like that.

Move onto BASIC chords, not B chord. Chords such as: D, A, Am, G, C, E, Em.

Then teach them a popular song or two that utilizes these chords.
Quote by bigwilly
What about teaching them to read music. Not tabs, but sheet music. Personally I think it's necessary to be able to read sheet music, tabs, and chord-charts/lead-sheets.

I disappoints me when guitarists pass over the process of learning to read sheet music. Sometimes it can be a really nice skill to have.

So I suggest teaching that as well as tableture.

I agree, guitarists really need to be able to read both.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
1:About the guitar
2:chords(teach them you shook me all night long parts for progressions and to keep them interested)
3:Reading tabs(until you teach how to read music
4:After they have good chord progressions teach them bar chords and some songs that use them and so on from there
"I'm no professah!"
~Henry Rollins
Like already said:
Guitar.
Tabs.
BASIC chords.
Strumming patterns.
Notes.
Barre.
Power Chords.
Scales.

Another very easy catchy song: Highway To Hell.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

im gonna try teach them hurt by johnny cash

the strumming patterns wont matter for now just the chord changes and getting used to that!

ill look at shook me all night long as well and maybe basket case by green day
wtf dont do scales yet!

just let them get to grips with the guitar
tell them how it works
like be stupidly basic (e.g. the strings make different noises if you push them down on the frets, etc)
then probably show them how tabs work
then yeah smoke on the water, 7 nation army, + other 1 string riffs
then probs move onto like, Come as you are, slither etc for harder riffs later on
What I just said is a lie.
Quote by a6l6e6x1
3 and a half years

well, aren't you special?
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre