Looking to buy a new guitar with a Floyd Rose Tremolo system on it, I'm going to be trying out a few next weekend, I have a budget of about £200 - £300. I currently have a Fender Strat (custom painted devil design) and a Vintage Les Paul. If I can't find a good guitar for this money I'm going to buy a set of Bareknuckle Nailbombs for the Les Paul.

2 questions:

1. What is a good guitar with a Floyd Rose on it for £200 - £300?

2. Would you buy a new guitar or a set of pickups to increase the sound of your original guitar?

Cheers!
These are the questions you should ask yourself.

Do I need a new guitar with a Floyd? Do I use them a lot? Is it worth the investment? Can I deal with the hassle of stringing them and tuning them?

If you answer most of those questions with a 'yes', then by all means buy a guitar.

Do you have a problem with how your current guitar sounds? Will a very minuscule change be noticed by me? Have I tried these pickups before? What kind of guitar were they in? Did I like them? Is it worth investing.

If you answer 'yes', then go for the new pickups.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
These are the questions you should ask yourself.

Do I need a new guitar with a Floyd? Do I use them a lot? Is it worth the investment? Can I deal with the hassle of stringing them and tuning them?

If you answer most of those questions with a 'yes', then by all means buy a guitar.

Do you have a problem with how your current guitar sounds? Will a very minuscule change be noticed by me? Have I tried these pickups before? What kind of guitar were they in? Did I like them? Is it worth investing.

If you answer 'yes', then go for the new pickups.

I don't NEED one, but I miss my tremolo and I only have the crappy Fender tremolo which detunes a lot. If I had the Floyd I'd use it like all the time and I wouldn't have to worry about using tremolo and having to tune after.

I haven't really got a PROBLEM with the sound, I just think the NB's sound amazing
I haven't tried them or anything, just heard a clip of them etc.
Plus I'd have to get someone to wire it all up too...

Thanks for your input
Quote by Static The Band
I don't NEED one, but I miss my tremolo and I only have the crappy Fender tremolo which detunes a lot. If I had the Floyd I'd use it like all the time and I wouldn't have to worry about using tremolo and having to tune after.

I haven't really got a PROBLEM with the sound, I just think the NB's sound amazing
I haven't tried them or anything, just heard a clip of them etc.
Plus I'd have to get someone to wire it all up too...

Thanks for your input

Maybe try some modifications to your Fender instead of buying a whole new guitar? Maybe a new nut and locking tuners to help keep the guitar in tune?

You can't just mash the bar like a madman with locking tuners though, it'll fall out of tune.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah obviously it'll slip out from time-to-time but I'm not looking to use it all the time.

I'm looking to use it in things like Muse - Knights of Cydonia (you know the intro bit?)
And some Metallica solos

Kirk's the man.

Cheers =)
Quote by Static The Band
Looking to buy a new guitar with a Floyd Rose Tremolo system on it, I'm going to be trying out a few next weekend, I have a budget of about £200 - £300. I currently have a Fender Strat (custom painted devil design) and a Vintage Les Paul. If I can't find a good guitar for this money I'm going to buy a set of Bareknuckle Nailbombs for the Les Paul.

2 questions:

2. Would you buy a new guitar or a set of pickups to increase the sound of your original guitar?

Cheers!

jackson rr3

or, if you wouldnt mind a differant tremelo system i would advise looking into ibanez rgs.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
get the floyd rose. heres one for the colection

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_kvx10_king_v_bk_upgrade.htm

or this is if you just want the novelty

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbms620tr_egitarre.htm
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I'm sure those guitars sound great but I'm not into all the spikes and everything, I'm more of a simple guy in the looks of guitars. I'd rather not fall over and impale myself

I'll have a look into it though!
Ok. Since my friend has been trying this as well let me put this up.

Floyd Rose Guitar- If you have only 300 dollars then the (Lets use correct terms) double locking tremolos you have will be cheap. If you get more recent guitars then you'll end up with would chances are be Edge III's and "Floyd Rose Licensed" tremolos. Basically not even worth buying. Edge III's use plastic. It's horrendous. And the licensed ones usually have their faults.

How do I know? Well I actually work at a repair shop. And half of the time those trems are the ones at fault.

Also my friend has a Randy Rhoads RR3 with one. The thing is decent. But the tremolo itself just feels cheap and after a few simple bends with it your already a few cents off. As for Edge III's I actually have tried playing them myself just to see the buck for bang and it does do an ok job. But still after a few uses it just dies. Maybe it was just my experiences.
If you do for some odd reason decide to buy one of these guitars. Make sure you get it tuned correctly and don't even play it for a week at least. Within that tune it as much as possible with as close tuning as possible. Let the tension set in to where you want it. Then slowly play it more and more. I actually have a JS 1200 with an Edge pro. The trem itself is better. But when you get it set up correctly and treat it kindly it stays in tune. I can recall mine staying in tune for two days straight with a bunch of my friends dive bombing away on the thing.

If you hunt on ebay you might find a charvel or two in crappy condition with an original floyd rose. I suggest you do that if you decide to get the Double Locking Tremolo.

Pickups - I personally think that you should go with this. Seeing as with 200-300 dollars can land you a nice set of pickups. Rather than a cheap guitar with cheap parts and cheap wood.

If you have cheap wood then getting really nice pickups in the guitars won't do anything. So just be cautious. If you have a "vintage" Les Paul then try swapping out the pickups in unless they are like original 59 pickups or something already spectacular.
Quote by Legendeath
If you have only 300 dollars
300GBP = 440USD
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Quote by Static The Band
I'm sure those guitars sound great but I'm not into all the spikes and everything, I'm more of a simple guy in the looks of guitars. I'd rather not fall over and impale myself

I'll have a look into it though!

Check out the Jackson DK2M.

Simple shape, versatile guitar.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Legendeath
Ok. Since my friend has been trying this as well let me put this up.

Floyd Rose Guitar- If you have only 300 dollars then the (Lets use correct terms) double locking tremolos you have will be cheap. If you get more recent guitars then you'll end up with would chances are be Edge III's and "Floyd Rose Licensed" tremolos. Basically not even worth buying. Edge III's use plastic. It's horrendous. And the licensed ones usually have their faults.

How do I know? Well I actually work at a repair shop. And half of the time those trems are the ones at fault.

Also my friend has a Randy Rhoads RR3 with one. The thing is decent. But the tremolo itself just feels cheap and after a few simple bends with it your already a few cents off. As for Edge III's I actually have tried playing them myself just to see the buck for bang and it does do an ok job. But still after a few uses it just dies. Maybe it was just my experiences.
If you do for some odd reason decide to buy one of these guitars. Make sure you get it tuned correctly and don't even play it for a week at least. Within that tune it as much as possible with as close tuning as possible. Let the tension set in to where you want it. Then slowly play it more and more. I actually have a JS 1200 with an Edge pro. The trem itself is better. But when you get it set up correctly and treat it kindly it stays in tune. I can recall mine staying in tune for two days straight with a bunch of my friends dive bombing away on the thing.

If you hunt on ebay you might find a charvel or two in crappy condition with an original floyd rose. I suggest you do that if you decide to get the Double Locking Tremolo.

Pickups - I personally think that you should go with this. Seeing as with 200-300 dollars can land you a nice set of pickups. Rather than a cheap guitar with cheap parts and cheap wood.

If you have cheap wood then getting really nice pickups in the guitars won't do anything. So just be cautious. If you have a "vintage" Les Paul then try swapping out the pickups in unless they are like original 59 pickups or something already spectacular.

Thanks for writing all that for me

So what's the pros and cons for these tremolo systems?
I do tune a lot, I guess I can save this guitar for a particular tuning or whatever, but I tune over the top to be honest
And I think you're forgetting: It's sterling, which means that is it's £200-£300, it will be $400-$600, approx.
And the Les Paul is made by a company called Vintage It's not that old, bought it from a friend for £90 ($180).

Cheers!
And whoa, interest rates have gone down since last year (yeah I'm 14 I'm not exactly MEANT to keep check on them :P )

But yeah, 200-300 Pounds Sterling.
Quote by Static The Band
Thanks for writing all that for me

So what's the pros and cons for these tremolo systems?
I do tune a lot, I guess I can save this guitar for a particular tuning or whatever, but I tune over the top to be honest
And I think you're forgetting: It's sterling, which means that is it's £200-£300, it will be $400-$600, approx.
And the Les Paul is made by a company called Vintage It's not that old, bought it from a friend for £90 ($180).

Cheers!

Well. It sounds like you'd use the guitar. But any tuning changes will take at least 10 minutes just to somewhere near where you want it to go depending on how much your tunings differ.

As for money im just going to say £250 for a middle ground. So around 367.07 dollars. You can prolly buy a better set of pickups than I originally considered.

My best bet would be the obvious choice. To just try out a Double Locking tremolo on guitars in your price range. Go to guitar shops around you and try them out. See you like them. See if they go out of tune. And most importantly check the wood and the pickups. : )
Alright thanks

I'm going to be trying some out next week. And I only usually drop my tunings minimally, from something like E -> Drop D, or E -> Eb, I don't play ridiculously low tunings
You get the idea
What's the lowdown on Kathler Tremolos? Just looking round and found the name which I haven't heard before.

Are they good or bad?
Do you mean Kahler? I've heard nothing but good things about them, never actually played one though.
Ah yeah probably just made a typo, just saw one on a BC Rich, looked alright, not fond on the shape though. I do like the V shape, looks like something like Metallica would use.

I'll have to write these names down

Honestly? There isn't one.

Only if I had a decent, conventional amp. A poor amp will bottleneck your tone far more than pickups ever will, and with a digital modelling amp there's so much processing going on that it'll pretty much swamp the subtle nuances you'll get from installing any aftermarket pickups, let alone a high-end brand like Bare Knuckles.

What amp have you got?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
One of the Lionhearts? If so they're quite nice.

How can you not know what model of amp you have?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

That's an okay amp, but it's not really worth getting new pickups. Don't get me wrong, there'll be some change, but not £200 worth of change...in that respect your money would be better spent on a new amp, or at least saved and put towards your next amp. Bare Knuckles are top of the line pickups for real tone junkies, there's little point getting them unless the rest of your rig is of a similar standard.

And Edge 3 trems are not very good, they're made of cheap metal meaning they'll eventually wear out.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Static The Band
What's the lowdown on Kathler Tremolos? Just looking round and found the name which I haven't heard before.

Are they good or bad?

kahler's are the ****. i absolutely love them. they are so much smoother than floyd roses and it doesn't take as long to setup.
^But just as a poorly setup floyd, the kahler will fall out of tune while bending. The action of the arm is much smother than the floyd. I haven't seen many kahlers in the wild though...

Honestly, a cheap floyd will do the trick if you get it set up properly. If you plan on having the guitar for more than two years, then thats plenty of time to save up for a original floyd to install later.

Good luck!
Quote by steven seagull
That's an okay amp, but it's not really worth getting new pickups. Don't get me wrong, there'll be some change, but not £200 worth of change...in that respect your money would be better spent on a new amp, or at least saved and put towards your next amp. Bare Knuckles are top of the line pickups for real tone junkies, there's little point getting them unless the rest of your rig is of a similar standard.

And Edge 3 trems are not very good, they're made of cheap metal meaning they'll eventually wear out.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is the tremolo system changeable? For example if I had that Ibanez and it has an Edge III in it, would I be able to switch the tremolo out for a Floyd Rose?
maybe. i suspect the studs are the wrong size, so that's going to require some drilling etc.

the big problem is that (a) it can end up being a bigger job than you anticipated and (b) if you know from the get go that you're going to swap the trem, add the price of the trem and the guitar together and you could just get a guitar which already has a good trem, and it'll likely be a higher-end guitar, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You wont find a decent guitar with decent floyd hardware for that amount of money. I'd go with the pickups or why not just save your money. It's christmas in less than 20 days surely you will get some money or something then? don't buy anything now.
not with those suggestions... >_>
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if your pickups are more expensive than your guitar, you are doing it wrong.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?