This is an idea I've been playing around with for a while, but before I try it out, I want to make sure it works.

If I got a valve amp with an effects loop, I could put a boost pedal into the effects loop to drive the power amp, then use the master volume almost as a power attenuator, right? If it works, it will save me a lot of money, so long as I get a good boost.

Also, if it would work, are there any boost pedals anybody would recommend? I'm looking at a Blackstar HT-Boost right now.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Thanks, would my idea work?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
I dunno, but I'm not sure - I think the master volume actually controls the volume of the signal hitting the power tubes. Pretty sure I'm wrong, though. It might also control the voltage applied to to the power tubes. Dunno really. But I'm interested too.

EDIT: From wiki: The amplifier's master volume control restricts the amount of signal permitted through to the driver stage and the power amplifier.
Last edited by Goldenglove at Dec 7, 2008,
An attenuator comes after the power amp, you'd technically just be adding another master volume to your preamp, without ever really driving your poweramp.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.