http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-30-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482275

or

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

i would to get a new amp soon and i cant decide between these 2. i realize one is tube and one is not but my friend has the same line 6 amp and i really like the sound he gets.

I mainly play classic rock and blues, but i do also play little alternative. I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard

thanks guys
The Crate will satisfy all your needs and sound good. The Spider will satisfy all your needs but don't expect to do any gigging with one...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
What's your budget?

If you need the models, check out the Vox AD30VT. It has much better modeling compared to any Spider Series amp. The Roland Cube 30x would be good to look at as well if you're more focused on heavier tones. The Peavey Vypyr would be good to look into.

If you aren't playing metal, I say go for the V18.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yeah, if you want a tube go for the Crate. But the Crate will need a lot of modding to sound better, and some pedals for good distortion. So it can get quite expensive.

Modeling amps are cheap, and sound decent enough. Plus, no pedals needed. Here is what the main modeling amps are good for.

Spider III- good cleans.

Roland Cube- good for metal, and other stuff.

Vox ADVT- good cleans.

Vypyr- nice distortion, cleans a bit lacking.

Of all those, I would say the Spider III is the worst. It sounds much more digital than the others. Vypyr and Cube are the same price, but sound quite a bit better. The Vox is the most expensive, but is still a good price. Its about $50 more.

Anyway I say go to a shop and try them all out.
Quote by la894
my budget is about 200 or 250

You might be able to pick up a AD30VT used for that price.

If you want new, check out the Cube 15x or the Vox AD15VT

Quote by J.J.G.
get a crate fw instead

How about, no TS, don't check out the Flex Wave instead.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
well i am getting a boss ds-1 dist pedal, so do you think that would be enough to make the crate sound good?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You might be able to pick up a AD30VT used for that price.

If you want new, check out the Cube 15x or the Vox AD15VT

How about, no TS, don't check out the Flex Wave instead.

For that price he could get a Vypyr 30w, or Cube 30w new. Better then buying used...
The crate is the better option hands down, even if you are doing metal, its okay (I have the v33 and it gets pretty heavy if I EQ it right), you'll need a distortion pedal for true br00talz but its not terrible on its own
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
What is your nearest major city?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by GymboJones
For that price he could get a Vypyr 30w, or Cube 30w new. Better then buying used...

Sorry, the prices up here are a bit more expensive.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
if you were to get the v18 you'd want an overdrive pedal not a distortion pedal. the ds-1 is pretty weak and very thin; check out an ibanez tube screamer.
Why are you even considering the Crate? Get the Spider.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Why are you even considering the Crate? Get the Spider.

I hope you're kidding...
You may like the spider for a few months, but you will soon realize that it sounds fake. I have the Crate V-18 along with a pedal and it sounds awesome. Cleans are great with no pedal.

Save yourself from having to get another amp soon and just get the Crate. You'll be much happier.

btw when I got mine three months ago from musicians friend it was $150, and stillis on other sites...

here http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--CRAV18112
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
thanks Psalm 150:4 for the link because i was going 2 get it when it was 150 on musicansfriend but the raised it when i was about to order it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Sorry, the prices up here are a bit more expensive.

You mean Canada? If so, they are $20-40 more. At least they are at my local guitar shop. Its not a huge amount more, and its still in his $250 price range.
Quote by GymboJones
Yeah, if you want a tube go for the Crate. But the Crate will need a lot of modding to sound better, and some pedals for good distortion. So it can get quite expensive.

You serious? I know I have modeling pedal, but I have used the amp for 2 years prior. I have run the guitar with just a wah and a TS-9 for a solo boost and had 0 trouble.

Comparing the spider and the crate should be a crime. Go tube or go home.

/thread
i too am stuck in the same predicament. i really want a tube amp for the cleans and the great tone you get with distortion pedals, but SS amps are dirt cheap
don't bump old threads just to say that. please. you didn't even ask a question.

start a new thread and provide Budget, Genres, Home or gig, location, current gear etc.

Edit: Double posting and threadjacking are not what you should be doing. Read the Stickies, take my advice and start over.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 4, 2009,
i like crate so much more that Line 6 spiders.
I would personally get the flexwave, but i already have one and love it for metal. but if you're not playing metal get the v18
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
I have the V33 boosted with an overdrive pedal and EQ, I can get good metal tones. If thats what you want, go with the crate. If you want a digital sound, go with the spider.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Buy the crate and digitech bad monkey

if you want heavier distortion turn your od channel on on the crate and on the pedal put your output/level on 10 and gain on 0.

trust me this is the way to go. This would slay your friend's spider.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ