Page 1 of 2
Hey guys.

This is regarding the verses in Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold.
At the part where the hammer on part is required 585

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/avenged_sevenfold/afterlife_ver4_btab.htm#comments

I just cant stretch my finger or move my hand that far.

Any help?!
Yeah when you run into problems like that look for octaves that make it easier. Also, another thing you can do is stretch out your fingers before you practice, similiar to how you stretch your legs/arms/body before you run or work out.
i can do that with index and middle, do u have XJ frets maybe? i can berly do a power cord with those sized frets, what guitar do u have?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
You DO know that when a manufacturer specifies something like "jumbo frets" they mean the fretwire... not the size of the frets themselves!!
Quote by nowa90
i can do that with index and middle, do u have XJ frets maybe? i can berly do a power cord with those sized frets, what guitar do u have?

It's the bass forum.

But seriously, using your pinkie should make life much easier. After some practise running scales, those 4 fret stretches become perfectly natural. One finger per fret is a very good way to think about it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i can do 5 10 5 10 so you should be able to do 5858

practice
Quote by budget bassist
You DO know that when a manufacturer specifies something like "jumbo frets" they mean the fretwire... not the size of the frets themselves!!
oh rly? i learnt that now, but why does my freinds guitar have huge fret length? the scale size right?
with practice you'll even be able to do 5-12-5.
Sure it's uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it.
But if you feel like you're hurting yourself, then you're doing something wrong!
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
But if you feel like you're hurting yourself, then you're doing something wrong!

actually i ahve average sized hands and i measured that out thats physically impossible for me but 5 to 8 is easy
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
actually i ahve average sized hands and i measured that out thats physically impossible for me but 5 to 8 is easy

To do it you kinda have to turn your arm to make it parallel with the fretboard, or as parallel as possible, then (while keeping your arm parallel) you move your wrist so that it's perpendicular to the fretboard. Hold down the very last part of the fifth fret with the tip of your index finger and you should be able to reach to halfway through the twelfth fret. It won't always give you the right sound and you can forget playing fast with it, but it's the only way I've learned to finish PoT.

It's pretty much useless unless you're playing harmonics.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
To do it you kinda have to turn your arm to make it parallel with the fretboard, or as parallel as possible, then (while keeping your arm parallel) you move your wrist so that it's perpendicular to the fretboard. Hold down the very last part of the fifth fret with the tip of your index finger and you should be able to reach to halfway through the twelfth fret. It won't always give you the right sound and you can forget playing fast with it, but it's the only way I've learned to finish PoT.

I've tried that. Some of us with smaller hand physically cannot force our fingers that far apart. With my bass in its stand and using my plucking hand to force my fretting fingers apart, I can just make a 5-11 stretch.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Victory2134

no i measured it out i can make the 11th fret but the 12th is just not makking it with the size of my hands i can almost get it in size maybe in a year when my hands get bigger
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by gm jack
I've tried that. Some of us with smaller hand physically cannot force our fingers that far apart. With my bass in its stand and using my plucking hand to force my fretting fingers apart, I can just make a 5-11 stretch.

And I used to complain about my hands being too small.

I guess I have large hands then...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
And I used to complain about my hands being too small.

I guess I have large hands then...

And I'm 6'6". You must have pretty big hands.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
And I'm 6'6". You must have pretty big hands.

I'm only 5'7"!

When I measured them it's about 19cm from the bass of my hand to the tip of my middle finger. a little over 19 and a half cm.
I did play piano when I was younger...and basketball.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134

What part of PoT do you have to do a 5-12 stretch? It isn't on my tab of it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Although I think you should keep practicing, you could always play 0-3-0 on the string above.

+1

Use your pinky and it should be no problem. I have small hands and I can see why you're having trouble....Just practice with using your fingers and building finger strength and flexibility.

EDIT: a 5-12 sounds silly to me when you have the E just two frets away on the A string.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
you could always go 10-13-10 on the lower string
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
I'm like 6"7 and I can just do 5-9, and I wouldn't say I have bad technique either. I don't think height has anything to do with hand size. At least not in my case.

TS, where do you wear your bass? Wearing it higher makes it so much easier to play. And it's much more rebel.
Quote by hippiebass
What part of PoT do you have to do a 5-12 stretch? It isn't on my tab of it.

You don't, but the stretch from the second fret to the sixth fret harmonic helped me develop the technique.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
5-8 is easy, but I also have big hands.

If you want, you can move up a string and play it 0-3, unless it's already on the G string.

EDIT: Or Down a string and play 10-13, less of a stretch.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
could you take A PIC so we can see whats going on cuz what your asking is very easy. I dont get why you can't do it
I dont know if it has the same effect on a bass as it does on a guitar, make sure that you thumb is in the middle of the back of the fretboard if your thumb is above your wrist and hand will refuse to let you extend your fingers
Quote by Victory2134

How is that even phyiscaly possible?
Quote by Pizza The Hut
How is that even phyiscaly possible?

oops I meant seven-twelve
*facepalm*

I just got my bass and I tried it because no one could do it and realized I was on the seventh fret.
Sorry guys!
I feel like a dumbass.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
oops I meant seven-twelve
*facepalm*

I just got my bass and I tried it because no one could do it and realized I was on the seventh fret.
Sorry guys!
I feel like a dumbass.

Oh O.K.

With all this talk about big stretches one will start to appreciate 5 and 6 string basses.
Haha, I'm not exactly a beginner. Its just that i'm fine with stretches, but not at such fast timing. Plus my fingers naturally only reach 5-8 at maximum stretch (which is a pain!).

Oh and its also including the fact that the song includes a 6 on the D string (drop D) which makes it difficult for me to play. I've never really put much effort into learning this song cause the stretch is a real bother. But i should since my band wants to cover it.
I tried tapping! Haha! But the sound doesnt sound right. Yeahhh.

@froggy
I have my bass aroudn my stomach area, But im pretty short so yeahhh (: -->Thus the small hands, Pfft!
Last edited by Stumpo at Dec 7, 2008,
Quote by Victory2134

I can picture a 5-8-5 maybe a 5-9-5, but how is 5-12-5 even physically possible?

Sorry read post above.
Quote by infinitybass
I can picture a 5-8-5 maybe a 5-9-5, but how is 5-12-5 even physically possible?

Sorry read post above.
Yngwie can do it, or maybe he releases and moves his wrist...
Quote by nowa90
Yngwie can do it, or maybe he releases and moves his wrist...

Oh, on a guitar I could manage that fine. On a bass? Not so much.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
we're talking about bass' here? o woops, ive been talking bout guitar the whole tim
Quote by nowa90
we're talking about bass' here? o woops, ive been talking bout guitar the whole tim

*points to forum*

Welcome to the bass forum, enjoy your stay.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^ damn bro you're a tall mofo.

5-8 is not a far stretch, just practice and make sure you are using your pinky. That stretch is part of the minor scale, so should be no problem at all.

Why anyone would ever stretch from 5-12 i have no idea.
Page 1 of 2