Page 1 of 2
i need an amp, it has to be less than $500 can someone tell me some models? i am thinking valveking 112 but its still a lil expesive. btw i mainly play metal, and have an Ibanez S320.
^ Do not listen to this person.

If you play metal, you'll want enough money left over to shell out for a decent OD/boost if you're looking at the Valveking, there's no way that thing can do metal (well) on its own.
Quote by Bryson11
get a marshel or line 6

Generally, it's not a great idea to take advice from people that can't spell "Marshall" correctly.

Do you mind if we ask what kind of metal?
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page

Generally, it's not a great idea to take advice from people that can't spell "Marshall" correctly.

Do you mind if we ask what kind of metal?

Think malmsteen, COB, Paul gilbert. Mainly instrumental metal.
Quote by Bryson11
get a marshel or line 6

no

If you want a REALLY good deal for exactly what you're looking for you will have to overshoot $500.
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/ortitecoinst.html
http://www.orangeamps.com/products.asp?Action=View&ID=103

Or, if you want to stay within your price range (no idea why)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

Those are as close as you're gonna get to what you want for under 500
Quote by Highwaytohell
Are you gigging?

Why would that matter? He can mike a 15w and gig all day. Even without it 15w 1x12'' will push past any drum kit.
The Valveking stock isn't exactly ideal for Children of Bodom, but it can certainly do Malmsteen and Gilbert.

There's a video on Youtube of someone pulling off some Killswitch with one - search "valveking metal".
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Schecter1277
Why would that matter? He can mike a 15w and gig all day. Even without it 15w 1x12'' will push past any drum kit.

True, but...

1. He won't have clean headroom.
2. The power tube saturation will loosen up his low end, ruining the tight defined metal tone he's looking for.
3. He can find an amp more suited to the tones he's looking for for the price of the Tiny Terror.
If you go used you could find a bugera 6262 or 333xl combo, both of which do metal very well
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by Prophet of Page
True, but...

1. He won't have clean headroom.
2. The power tube saturation will loosen up his low end, ruining the tight defined metal tone he's looking for.
3. He can find an amp more suited to the tones he's looking for for the price of the Tiny Terror.

Why must you destroy my youthful vitality with firm logic?
Quote by Schecter1277
Why must you destroy my youthful vitality with firm logic?

Quote by Schecter1277

I think because if the answer was 'no' then maybe all he needs is a Cube or Vypyr 30 wattr, neither of which I would want to gig with - but then again, i don't gig.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think because if the answer was 'no' then maybe all he needs is a Cube or Vypyr 30 wattr, neither of which I would want to gig with - but then again, i don't gig.

Please read the whole thread before you reply. It will keep you from looking like an idiot/jackass. (like you just did)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't need to read it again, I got it the first time

and we still don't know if he gigs or not with a drummer.

I am not gigging, and there are no drummers, its just for practice. Tiny terror is nice but its waaayy too expensive, lets keep it below $500 guys
i was looking at the roland cube 15X seems nice lots of positive reviews, cam anyone ell me how it is for metal?
I have a cube. Not great, but for the price you won't get a lot better. Rather safe up and buy something better. If you use the metal stax setting and gain up all the way you can get a good sound for metal.
get a marshall mg15 used...they are super quality and only age into better and better amps cause their tubes get rougher rougher! they cost less than 100$ used and have a resale value of over 1000$$$$!!!!!

you ll be so lucky to find one, their overdrive is CRUSHING!
Quote by georgakis187
get a marshall mg15 used...they are super quality and only age into better and better amps cause their tubes get rougher rougher! they cost less than 100$ used and have a resale value of over 1000$$$$!!!!!

seriously an MG???
nooo not an mg!!!!!!! that guys post made no sense...mg's are not tube!!!

EDIT: wewww, I thought the guy above was serious...
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Quote by georgakis187

Nobody finds posts like that funny.

The Cube might be the best metal tone you're going to get at that price, but I wouldn't say they're fantastic.

I really would recommend saving a little more, it's possible to get nice amps for about $650, especially if you can find a good deal on something used (I don't usually recommend buying used). It seems to me that a used 50W Marshall JCM800 would be a good choice for you (should handle the Gilbert/Malmsteen tones well), but I've noticed that the prices seem to be going up on eBay.

If not, I have some friends who do get passable metal tones from Cubes.
what would be better for practice? Cube 15 or 20? i am thinking of getting a 15 and using a boss gt 8 for the effects
Quote by TheRstar
what would be better for practice? Cube 15 or 20? i am thinking of getting a 15 and using a boss gt 8 for the effects

buy the 30x it has more amp models or a vypyr 30
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Hey, THE REALITY is.. you want great gear you'll have to spend a lot... like $1,000 and up^

BUT! you can get great metal tones with actually any amp thats under $500.

maybe a combo is actually what you're looking for.. SURE ITS DIGITAL! but, I mean you'll be getting what you paid for.
Sam-Jacob
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
the Vypyrs have tons of modeling already so I'm not sure how well that GT's gonna work with it.

then what should i do? cuz i am planning on using the gt 8 for tones and effects thats why i just want a cheap amp that sounds good on its own.
Quote by imsamjacob
Hey, THE REALITY is.. you want great gear you'll have to spend a lot... like $1,000 and up^

BUT! you can get great metal tones with actually any amp thats under $500.

maybe a combo is actually what you're looking for.. SURE ITS DIGITAL! but, I mean you'll be getting what you paid for.

^huh?

TheRstar - OK, I didn't know you were planning to use a GT this whole time, you should have told us that up front. Knowing that, I'd go with the Valveking. I've run my RP250 with it and actually liked it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^huh?

TheRstar - OK, I didn't know you were planning to use a GT this whole time, you should have told us that up front. Knowing that, I'd go with the Valveking. I've run my RP250 with it and actually liked it.

which valveking?
keep in mind its gotta be cheap, it would be best to get an amp within 150 - 200 or lower, cuz the boss gt 8 is gonna cost me 500 and i need to buy the whole thing (guitar $600 + amp $200 + Gt 8 $ 500) = $ 1500 at max
Vypyr 75+Sanpera II
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Page 1 of 2