So, I'm in a Progressive Metal band, and we just signed up to play our first gig in a little more than a month. So, I was wondering, we are planning on a 3 origional, one cover set.

The cover we have picked is Blackest Eyes by Porcupine Tree. A great song, that we can play well, but that not a lot of people know. Do you think this is a wise choice? Bear in mind that we needed a short cover, since we get about 30-40 min to play, and our other 3 songs are about 10-11 minutes each.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Quote by silhouettica
So, I'm in a Progressive Metal band, and we just signed up to play our first gig in a little more than a month. So, I was wondering, we are planning on a 3 origional, one cover set.

The cover we have picked is Blackest Eyes by Porcupine Tree. A great song, that we can play well, but that not a lot of people know. Do you think this is a wise choice? Bear in mind that we needed a short cover, since we get about 30-40 min to play, and our other 3 songs are about 10-11 minutes each.

Porcupine Tree is a sick band, but I don't know anyone who knows of them, unless I got them into Porcupine Tree.

Why are you're other songs so long? Unless it was incredible or really grabbed my attention I couldn't sit and listen to 3 10-11 minute songs in a row. Unless of course the show is at a bar and then I'm not going anywhere haha.
I love playing covers of good unknown songs. It allows people to not associate you with the actual band who recorded it, and see if your live cover measures up to the recorded song. imo
Last edited by ragt427 at Dec 7, 2008,
Well, to who asked, we are doing a cover because we wanted to have a 4th song, and our other originals push us over the time limit (counting talking time, etc).

And our other songs are just...long. They are very attention grabbing though.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
damn good choice of a cover, but you may want to pick something that every may know. Unfortunately Porcupine Tree isn't as well know as they should be. But yet again it may be a good choice if it is similar to your style, because its very catchy.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I'd just go for it.
I play on an island where the music taste is very conformist (meaning there is a small minority of people who listen to that type of music) and we played a whole gig where people only knew 2 out of the six covers we did one of which was "Sugar" by system which everybody liked plus it was our first gig ever.
People didn't know the songs but if you make it feel awesome the crowd will think so too.
Crowds don't want to hear stuff they don't know. If you're going to play a cover, don't waste your time playing something they won't know. Three originals and a killer cover is better than three originals and another song everyone thinks is an original, that they find out at some point, wasn't original.

One qualifier I'll make here, is that it does depend on the audience. Is this an audience that is willing to engage themselves in a prog metal band with songs that are 10+ minutes? If they are, they just might tolerate an obscure cover. Given that your set time is so short, I'm guessing that you are on with a bunch of other bands. In that case, my guess is that the audience is going to be made up of friends, family, and followers of the other four or five or six bands. In that case, your originals are going to be a hard enough sell. You'd be best going with a really well-known cover. At least they'll be listening to you for about four minutes.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Dec 7, 2008,
Porcupine Tree seems to be reasonably well known.... i would think you would be okay covering them.
Popular among high school kids, or popular among 20-somethings who are at the bar? Big difference, often times.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.