What do the different numbers mean on say, a 7 band EQ. My car has those sliders and I'm wanting to get an EQ pedal. I just don't really understand what the numbers mean.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It's basically a more in depth version of the standard Bass, Treble, Mid EQ on a guitar amp except is more in depth and more sensitive so you can better tweak it to suite your own style. I'm sure if you google it you can find an explanation.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
The numbers are the specific frequency you'll be cutting or boosting.

+1
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
Each of the sliders on an EQ effect a certain range of frequencies. This allows you to customize the sound you hear coming from your speakers to account for room acoustics. The room you have your stereo, or amp, in, may "color" the sound, causing certain frequencies to sound hotter or softer than they were meant. This is where the EQ comes in. Let's say you have a bare room with no wall or floor treatments and the highs are too hot. By cutting back on the upper frequencies of your EQ, you can compensate for room acoustics.

Does this help?
Additionally, the lower the band number, the less actual control you have over your sound. For example, a 7-band EQ will still cover 20 Hz to 20 KHz, but it has to do it with 7 sliders. A 31-band EQ gives more control, because the same 20 Hz to 20 KHz is broken up into more slices, as it were.