What should I look for? Durability wise. What company makes good guitars that would last for a while?

And can anyone link me like a pic on how to play a cord so I can test the sound on the guitars.

Ive never played guitar before so I want to play a cord to test sound, but I don't know how to play a cord.

My price range is only $100(the store is having a sale, some guitars are $300 but are only $100 right now ) and possibly $150, but I HIGHLY don't think I will be able to spend that much.

Thanks alot!
Every Time You Fail, You Are Getting Closer To Success.
.... Squier by fender. The biggest piece of crap guitar known to man but its the only thing you can afford. Dont worry about durability cause if you keep playin youll upgrade it in under a year probally. Everythings gonna sound amazing to you cause you have an untrained ear. You wont have the finger strength or dexterity to play a chord. just get a Squier by Fender Starter Kit. Comes with everything youll need to start playing.

Or you can be like the wierd people and try a Yamaha Pacifica.
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

well it would be helpful to tell us the name of the store as i doubt many people can name every $300 dollar guitar and guess which ones are reduced
^ I disagree, there's nothing wrong with a decent Epiphone. An LP Special is a piece of crap, but anything of a LP100/G-400 standard upwards is just fine, my Explorer and Zakk Wylde LP play just fine.

If you get a cheap guitar, don't get one with a trem... cheap guitars have crap tremolo systems that go out of tune 99 times out of 100.
Quote by espftw
finance a cheaper guitar and use the 100 you have now then pay off the rest later.

i would reccomend staying away from an epiphone, because it seems like a lot of people regret buying those when they are more experienced.

i have a cheap ibanez that i still use.

so i'll show you that
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481914

...Epiphone is one of the most respected sub-high end brands out there, stay away from the LP Specials and the Juniors and you won't regret it for some time

Still you should tell us what kind of music you play, or what you would like to play, etc so be we can say anything about what guitar you need.

For $100 get a squier and get the store to set it up so you can atleast practice
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by BelowZero
.... Squier by fender. The biggest piece of crap guitar known to man but its the only thing you can afford.

In my opinion Squier guitars can be quite good fro the price. Its guitars like Encore and Stagg that you need to look out for.
Quote by BelowZero
.... Squier by fender. The biggest piece of crap guitar known to man but its the only thing you can afford. Dont worry about durability cause if you keep playin youll upgrade it in under a year probally. Everythings gonna sound amazing to you cause you have an untrained ear. You wont have the finger strength or dexterity to play a chord. just get a Squier by Fender Starter Kit. Comes with everything youll need to start playing.

Or you can be like the wierd people and try a Yamaha Pacifica.

Squier hate REALLY needs to be stamped out on this forum, just like line 6/BC Rich/Danelectro/Boss/etc hate. I seem to have switched my preference from fender to squier recently, favouring my squier affinity strat over my fender MIM strat. And no, i'm not a beginner/tone deaf/whatever you want to say, i just like my squiers better at the moment for some odd reason that i don't quite understand myself.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
please get a Yamaha EG-112 if you can. if used better. i did that, and has been 4 years since then, and still i am happy with what i done.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Blompcube
Squier hate REALLY needs to be stamped out on this forum, just like line 6/BC Rich/Danelectro/Boss/etc hate. I seem to have switched my preference from fender to squier recently, favouring my squier affinity strat over my fender MIM strat. And no, i'm not a beginner/tone deaf/whatever you want to say, i just like my squiers better at the moment for some odd reason that i don't quite understand myself.

Danelectro and boss are great but lower half bc rich sucks and so does line6. Really really. I've played a warlock for a while and i have a pod 2.0 i know what they're about
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
get a starter pack, you really cant afford anything great with that price range.

or you could look for a used or finance a epiphone g-400, my first guitar, once I got used to the neck being a little heavy, I dont regret getting it for a second.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by bornfidelity
Danelectro and boss are great but lower half bc rich sucks and so does line6. Really really. I've played a warlock for a while and i have a pod 2.0 i know what they're about

for line 6, i hope you only speak of spider III and other cheap products. Those are turds, but line 6 actually makes great amps aside from the few bad ones.

Since everyone can hate on line 6 for having one or two bad amps, we should all hate on marshall for having the mg, fender for having the frontman, or peavey for having the valveking(which imo are only good after about 150 bucks of modding).
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^