it guards the finish of the guitar from the pick
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Well i have always thought it just stopped you striking your pick on the body when you strum, making it stupid to have a expensive one, not that my picking is that bad^^. Mainly cosmetic i think, people just like the look of a guitar with one, some guitars it's hard to imagine it without one.
Manchester United
On a Strat, the pickguard holds the pickups and electronics. On a Les Paul, it was intended originally to prevent damage of the finish due to heavy pick attack, but the purpose it actually serves is normally more cosmetic.
i took mine off my les paul, looked better without...

but in answer to the question, i think they prevent the paint from being scratched with the pick while strumming.

and to hold pickups in place on most guitars.
The only person who needs a pickguard is Joe Strummer, and he's not with us anymore so, it's because pickguardless guitars (esp the Ibanez ones) look incredibly dull.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
The only person who needs a pickguard is Joe Strummer, and he's not with us anymore so, it's because pickguardless guitars (esp the Ibanez ones) look incredibly dull.

i'm not joe strummer, but i do scratch the hell out of my guitars sometimes (especially when i use metal picks) so it's a good thing i have pickguards.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
On a les paul (or any other carved top) it also gives you something to rest your pinkie on if your a fast precision picker.
Quote by ProfDrum
On a les paul (or any other carved top) it also gives you something to rest your pinkie on if your a fast precision picker.

I like to think I'm a relatively fast, precise picker but have no such need. Anchoring FTL.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think I'll take mine off my les paul.

I think that it helps the guitar not get scratched and it also gives a place to rest your hand.
Quote by bornfidelity

Really? I actually prefer most guitars without pickgaurds.

Of course, a Fender would just look wrong without one imo.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Dumbest thing i've ever heard. Isn't it obvious? .....
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Quote by Blompcube
i'm not joe strummer, but i do scratch the hell out of my guitars sometimes (especially when i use metal picks) so it's a good thing i have pickguards.

he's alive again!

Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by richymisiak
moose stuff

lol family guy
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^