Whats happening everybody? I'm new to this site and somewhat new to the guitar world. So I need some advice in building my strat. The pick-ups are shot on them and I'm looking to upgrade them but I have never shopped for pick-ups before. I'm looking to get that dirty blues tone. Any advice on what to look at?
Budget? If high I suggest Bare Knuckles, probably the Mother's Milk set or maybe the Irish Tours. If lower, the Fralins are great.
Sorry guys but saying "look at Fralin's" is a bit vauge don't you think. It's like somebody wanting to get a car that would be good for street racing and being told "look at GMC". Sure GMC makes some good street racing cars but they also make some good dump trucks. The TS asked about what to look for not "who makes good pickups".

TS, before we can give you the information you are looking for we need more details about your rig, the tone you have, and the tone you want.

So what type of amp do you have? I hate to ask that because it'll mean lots of people jumping in and saying get a new amp, but truth is, to give good advise we still need to know.

What is it about your tone that you don't like? This is hard to put into words but trying to do that will really help you understand what you want.

What do you mean by "dirty blues"? Give us some musicians as examples?

What are some aspects of your tone that you don't have that you want?
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Dec 7, 2008,
Quote by CorduroyEW
Sorry guys but saying "look at Fralin's" is a bit vauge don't you think. It's like somebody wanting to get a car that would be good for street racing and being told "look at GMC". Sure GMC makes some good street racing cars but they also make some good dump trucks. The TS asked about what to look for not "who makes good pickups".

Which is why I said to look at Lindy Fralin Blues Specials.
Quote by CorduroyEW

however, if someone asked me what a good truck is for construction work purposes, i wouldnt say " buy a ford F250 XLT with an extended cab and dual rear wheels". i would say, "look at ford trucks"

Quote by Øttər
^ Ford FTW!

GMC makes shite street racing cars

Except GMC owns Chevy and Chevy makes the ZR1. Although Nissan won COTY for the new GTR which is extraordinarily badass
Quote by chip46
Back on track guys, you're not answering the man's question. I stick with my recomendation of Fralin Blues Specials, but we still don't know your budget.

yes, the fralin blues specials are very nice. however, i have the fender vintage noiseless pups in my strat, and they give a very good "creamy, smooth" blues tone.
I've actually never played the Blues Specials. I have the Vinage Hot set and they do blues very well. I've heard that about the Vintage Noiseless pups, that they're good for blues and all. Still, we don't know his budget, but the Fender's are a bit cheaper than the Fralins.
Quote by chip46
Back on track guys, you're not answering the man's question. I stick with my recomendation of Fralin Blues Specials, but we still don't know your budget.

and I stick with my answer that we still don't have enough information to be able good advise.
Quote by CorduroyEW
It's like somebody wanting to get a car that would be good for street racing and being told "look at GMC". Sure GMC makes some good street racing cars but they also make some good dump trucks.

Hahahaha that made me laugh, but GMC doesn't even make cars! they only do trucks! whatever, um, pickups, get good ones, then the rest is in the fingers!
^Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, and Vauxhall are just a few of the many subdivisions of GMC. Your statement kinda supports my original point. Giving advise that is as vague as a company isn't very useful for a person that doesn't understand a product.
I belive it's GM then, not GMC. GMC is an auto manufacturer under the GM corp. It gets confusing because GMC is actually GMC Truck, or General Motors Truck Company, but GM Corp could also be abbreviated GMC I supposed although you hardly ever see it like that.
Last edited by chip46 at Dec 7, 2008,