ok im going to buy the stop dreaming start playing affinity squire bass pack but im not quite sure which on what one to get the p bass or the j bass? i play punk rock rock and a little metal. ive seen both basses used in my favorite bands but am not sure which one to get. so if you could give your recomendation for it or tell me how they are different so i could choose i would be very grateful
honestly...stay away from anything affinity series. its a good starter but i had one when i first started and i grew out of it quickly cause i got serious as a bassist quick. i had an ibanez jumpstart pack for a while which really did a great job but now im in college for producing/bass and i still have a low budget so i got a squier vintage modified 70s jazz bass and i like it better than every jazz bass ive ever played with the exception of highway one series or made in americas.

so basically...spend the extra 80 bucks and get a vintage modified jazz bass or one of the new classic vibe jazz basses. this way if you do get serious, you wont have wasted nearly $400 on old basses that you outgrew. these new squiers are great starters and great for advanced musicians.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Id get a P-bass Special if you can, which is a P-bass with the thinner J neck. But for rock, punk, and metal, the majority of the sounds either come from a P-bass of some sort, or humbuckers, which are pretty punchy as well. Definately A/B em if you can, but if not, a P bass would not let you down sound-wise.
I reccomend the J bass, its too early on for you to have a decided your prefered shape and sound. The J bass is better for a beginner as it has a thinner neck as well making playing easier for most people (some people find chunkiness more comfortable). But most of all you follow the universal answer to all 'what ... should I get?" questions and go try the options out and figure out which YOU prefer.
you should give the ibanez gsr200 a try. i have that, and i love it. it's a great bass for the price, imo. out of all the beginner basses i've played, i like that one.
ok im only getting a squire because i love fender basses and how they look the reason im getting the affinity is because it comes with an amp and it would be way more expensive if i had to buy a more expensive bass and then an amp
Id go with the vintage modified 70s jazz bass like burgurhead said it truly great bass. Ive tried it and loved it and its $20 cheaper than the pack.
If you need an amp go with a Acoustic 20w or 50w
thats another thing i was checking out their amps and many said acoustic amps is that still ok to use with an electric
I second the suggestion to wait a little longer, save a little more and then get the Modified Vintage. Look at it this way; how long would it take you to save the extra $$$? And compare this to the length of time you'd have to spend with a flimsy, powerless sounding piece of pressed carton if you got the Affinity right now. Patience really pays off here.

And whether to choose a P or a J? I love them both. The J has the ergonomics and the versatility, while the P has, well... eh,....the most bass guitarish bass guitar sound in the world.
ok ill think about that but another question i want to ask is playing bass fun? i mean i love playing guitar and im good at it but i want to be in a band so bad and there are NO bassists here that arent extremely weird and i thought well there are a couple songs that have good bass parts that might be fun to play but i want an opinion from a real bassist is it fun? is it worth playing?
What kind of a question is that?
I hate bass, which why I'm constantly playing.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
They were using sarcasm, man...yes, it's as fun as any instrument. I'm quite fond of it, and generally prefer bass over guitar.
Nope, no sig here.
I'd say Jazz.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by Mutant Corn
They were using sarcasm, man...yes, it's as fun as any instrument. I'm quite fond of it, and generally prefer bass over guitar.

thank you and yeah i realise that they were after i reread it haha i was being serious at that time because i wanted an honest answer and thats what i got from you so thanks
sorry mates but i didn't found a place to post it.... i would like to play a bass what bass is good for beginning? Can you give me an advice ?
look no farther than my sig, Mr. Mazan.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And there's plenty of others in the FAQ. The GSR and the Acoustic amp are by no means the be all and end all of beginner gear, even though some people seem to think they are.

I agree, I was originally hoping with my sig that would inspire others to post their own preferred starter gear in their sig, as opposed to blindly following my sig, which however awesome, is not perfect for everyone.

granted, it is a great bass, and will no doubt do you well.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Mutant Corn

And the girls absolutely adore bass players.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic