what is the advantage of having a transparent overdrive (fulltone ocd) compared to a overdrive colors your tone?
and why does everyone like the ocd? (i haven't tried it, i've just heard some people drool over it)
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Transparent ODs let your guitar's natural tone come through more, so the characteristics of the sound differ more from bodies (chambered of not) and pickup types (humbuckers to singles to P-90s). And they are easier to get the sound you want from em, as they dont normally have mid humps or more or less bass, the EQs on em are pretty much flat.
Transparent OD's are good if you like the sound of your amp but, just want to boost the gain, but some people like to add more "color" to their sound, its all preference.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
ah i see, so is the OCD the best transparent one out there for the money?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
That pretty much sums it up. If you love your sound and just want more gain, a transparant OD would be ideal. If you want to add some mids, lows, highs or whatever a non-transparant OD with those qualities would be better
WTLTL 2011
but do they usually add about the same amount of gain?
see i'm getting a jcm 900 pretty soon (1-2 months) and i already have a tubescreamer, i tried it out with my brothers friends dsl 401 (pretty bad amp, imo) and it just didn't work, i was trying to boost the overdrive channel. and yes i had the overdive on 0 and the level on 10, but it didn't really boost it that much
so i was just thinking maybe an ocd would work better
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
different ODs have different amounts of gain...but different amps also respond differently to ODs!

My B-52 loved OD's...they really helped tighten up the sound. My ENGL However ****s on them, doesn't need nor appreciate ODs.
WTLTL 2011
Very worthwhile question, which has a longer explanation than you might think.

The first real part of the question is, why use an OD to boost an amp on a lower volume as opposed to just cranking the amp further?

The answer is that most amps have sweet spots, and don't necessarily sound best when at full tilt. It's often preferable to set the amp to a sweet spot, where gain is lower, but better sounding and with better response, and then control the gain with the input volume. For example, I've played a few vintage plexis, some were stunning when wound up to about seven, but started losing tone and response pushed any further. The gain becomes fizzier and less musical and the bass becomes looser.

In a case like this, where you are very happy with the tone of the sweet spot, but just want more gain, a transparent boost is very helpful. It's the same tone you love, just more of it. I'd also like to add that I've played some plexis that were perfect all the way up, and still responded well to an extra little transparent push. The best transparent boosts I've played are the Xotic RC booster (very clean, very transparent) and the Xotic BB Preamp (more gain, not quite as transparent).

If however you aren't looking for transparency, and want to colour the tone, then the pedal having it's own colour is what you're looking for. The best example I can think of is the only OD pedal I have at the moment, which is a Butler Tube Driver.

I would have little hope of getting a smooth, violin tone a la Eric Johnson from my Cornfords alone (or for that matter, from any amp alone), but with the Tube Driver you can colour the tone to suit.

Many pedals colour the tone to try to get tone in the ballpark of a vintage plexi, a Dumble or some other desirable amp.

So which is better? Well, that depends what you're looking for.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
thanks for the response
yeah when i get the 900 i'll mess with my tubescreamer, and if it doesn't do it for me than i'll probably go for something like an OCD
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
ah i see, so is the OCD the best transparent one out there for the money?

I don't hear the OCD as being as transparent as some claim. The OCD is very articulate. Maybe some are getting that confused with transparency? The OCD has its own sound. To me, a transparent OD is a clean boost, pushing your amp into OD.
Quote by The Real Ming
I don't hear the OCD as being as transparent as some claim. The OCD is very articulate. Maybe some are getting that confused with transparency? The OCD has its own sound. To me, a transparent OD is a clean boost, pushing your amp into OD.

thats how i see it too, a true transparent od is just gonna push the hell out of your amp, like a Super Hard On. it doesnt color but sure as hell hits harder

so in some crazy ass sense clean boosts provide transparent overdrive
If you want totally transparency then it's a clean boost you're after. If you want the pedal to actually aid gain (the pedal actually clips) then it will color the tone a bit, but the good ones (fulltone, bbe, catlinbread) do this the least.

If you're after an actual overdrive with stand alone gain then something like the OCD, FD2, exotic bbe preamp, or other high end ODs are great.

If you want just a line boost something like a LPB1, or the much more expensive cleans boosts from catlinbread would do you great. An EQ with level and gain sliders works well too.

The tubescreamer didn't seem to boost because they really don't have much power, to me they only really tighten and add a hair of signal and a touch a gain, especially set like level 10 gain 0.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
is there anything that will:
-add a good extra gain (on top of a od channel)
-work well has a clean boost as well
-and not be ENTIRELY transparent
is that the fulltone ocd?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
FD2 can do that, it has a compcut mode which is basically a clean boost when you set the overdrive low and the level high (it can push a ton of signal if you use an 18v adapter, headroom for days) In FM is it's basically a transparent Tubescreamer that sounds good with the gain cranked, the boost just adds more gain and makes it thicker and less transparent. The vintage mode basically adds a mid spike and sounds great on my scooped strat + fender amp combo.
fulltone OCD would be a good choice, but just remember not to limit yourself to that one idea. i have my SD-1 that i use for those purposes, and im adding a switch to toggle between open and compressed flavor to help in the sounding of it, and i honestly like it better than anything else out there.
ah alright, so i guess what i'm saying is i'm like a really versatile od that would work for a clean boost blues, an actual overdrive to push the gain of an amp, and also keep it transparent?
and to really push the gain, not like a tubescreamer, that was dissapointed
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
i messed with it but still, it wasn't satisfactory
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
is there anything that will:
-add a good extra gain (on top of a od channel)
-work well has a clean boost as well
-and not be ENTIRELY transparent
is that the fulltone ocd?

I second Kevin Saale's post.

What you describe here is a Fulltone Fulldrive 2.

edit:
I just read your post about tubescreamers. If you feel this way, the FD2 is not for you.

The Way Huge Pork Loin can do what your after. I got a chance to play one yesterday. I really liked it. I picked up the Fat Sandwich though. I definitely be picking up a Pork Loin in the future.

Check out this clip, I think its pretty sweet. A lot of gain on tap. A very nice clean boost too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM8fL6idgWw&feature=related
Last edited by The Real Ming at Dec 7, 2008,
Quote by The Real Ming
I second Kevin Saale's post.

What you describe here is a Fulltone Fulldrive 2.

Too bad that he doesn't like tubescreamers.

I sound like a broken record, but the Pork Loin is a cool pedal.