Hello GB&C

I have a Les Paul Supreme and I want to fade the finish on it. Went to a local guitar store and the guys said that if I left it in sun light, it would fade quite quick (A couple of days in good sun light).

Here's my problem.

It's cold and snowing outside and I don't want to check the finish/damage the wood from the cold. Would I be fine if I just left it near a window?

How about the smoke method? How well would that work?

If there are any other fading techniques that you would like to share, feel free guys.

Cheers!

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I just read the Gibson booklet that came with his SG, and it says that their finishes aren't under warantee, because lots of exposure to sunlight will fade the finish.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
I just read the Gibson booklet that came with his SG, and it says that their finishes aren't under warantee, because lots of exposure to sunlight will fade the finish.

Sweet, but I was asking how would I go abouts doing that. I don't want to leave the guitar outside.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Sweet, but I was asking how would I go abouts doing that. I don't want to leave the guitar outside.

Know anyone with a sunbead?

Also, what exactly so you mean by fade? What finish, colour?
Quote by nightraven
turn up the heating
do some situps
do some pressups
do some crunches
do more situps
do some reps with some dumbells
take off your shirt
put the guitar on with the strap
play really violently and dance around

nitro doesn't like sweat, so you need to get sweaty and masculine and it'll wear away fairly quickly and it'll look natural and authentic

Nitro doesn't like sweat? That's good to know. I'll play guitar in 4 layers of sweat pants and 5 hats.

Quote by Skeet UK
Know anyone with a sunbead?

Also, what exactly so you mean by fade? What finish, colour?

It's white, I want it cream.

Do you mean a tanning bed? would that be a little dangerous?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Nitro doesn't like sweat? That's good to know. I'll play guitar in 4 layers of sweat pants and 5 hats.

It's white, I want it cream.

Do you mean a tanning bed? would that be a little dangerous?

Yeah a tanning bed? Dangerous for your guitar but OK for people

Its UV light mate, so it will fade the paint.

If Nitro don't like sweat, try some salty water.
Quote by Skeet UK
Yeah a tanning bed? Dangerous for your guitar but OK for people

Its UV light mate, so it will fade the paint.

If Nitro don't like sweat, try some salty water.

How long should it be in there? I don't want it yellow.

Just a light cream color. Should I leave it in a tanning bed for 2 minutes and check, rinse, repeat?

Quote by LP Addict
find a good window with sunlight comin in, put your guitar in the sunlight for a few days. sweat is also an enemy, and so is smoking.

So I should find a room with a nice window and hot box the room? I'll give it a try.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How long should it be in there? I don't want it yellow.

Just a light cream color. Should I leave it in a tanning bed for 2 minutes and check, rinse, repeat?

Well. The new style of Sun Showers, the stand up ones, will deliver a day's worth of sun (about 4-6 hours) in 15-20 mins.

So, I would try a 10 minute session, or several 5-10 min sessions.

Don't do it all in one hit though, give the guitar time to settle down afterwards.
Quote by Skeet UK
Well. The new style of Sun Showers, the stand up ones, will deliver a day's worth of sun (about 4-6 hours) in 15-20 mins.

So, I would try a 10 minute session, or several 5-10 min sessions.

Don't do it all in one hit though, give the guitar time to settle down afterwards.

I'll probably be able to find an older style tanning bed quite easy, the newer ones would be a problem to find I bet.

I'll probably end up doing it for 5 minutes a session and see how that ends up.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
i can only imagine the look of the tanning salon receptionist when she ask "how long of a session would u like?" and you say "me i dont want one my guitar here wants to look her best for the concert so give her a 10 minute session"

i would laugh so hard
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
i can only imagine the look of the tanning salon receptionist when she ask "how long of a session would u like?" and you say "me i dont want one my guitar here wants to look her best for the concert so give her a 10 minute session"

i would laugh so hard

I think that would be worthy of a Youtube video. Explain what you are doing, then spend the day, going to different tanning salons. The trip between each one will be enough to let the guitar relax. Keep it in its case.

Put a sticker or something somewhere that you don't mind leaving standard, or if it has a pick guard, you can use that to see progress after a day

Seriously.
Quote by sandman-105

i would laugh so hard

Quote by Skeet UK
I think that would be worthy of a Youtube video. Explain what you are doing, then spend the day, going to different tanning salons. The trip between each one will be enough to let the guitar relax. Keep it in its case.

Put a sticker or something somewhere that you don't mind leaving standard, or if it has a pick guard, you can use that to see progress after a day

Seriously.

I think I'll make a youtube video.

How much is it going to cost me to use those tanning salons? I'm not made of money.

Quote by sandman-105

i would laugh so hard

That's what I was thinking to myself. I'm going to look like a complete idiot.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Damn! It was hard enough keeping my own body tan, now I have to start taking my guitar to the pool to tan with me?
Just stand in a greenhouse and smoke pot with your guitar.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
So I should find a room with a nice window and hot box the room? I'll give it a try.

i dont think so, its the sunlight that fades the guitar not the heat. "hot boxing" the room could be potentially bad news for your guitar, the neck in particular because taking wood to different extremes in temperature is bad for it.

wait for someone else to say something though because i may be exaggerating the issue and it might not be such a big deal
Quote by Diamond Dave
i dont think so, its the sunlight that fades the guitar not the heat. "hot boxing" the room could be potentially bad news for your guitar, the neck in particular because taking wood to different extremes in temperature is bad for it.

wait for someone else to say something though because i may be exaggerating the issue and it might not be such a big deal

Hot box..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hotbox
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.