Christmas again, and time to get a studio set up.

I just need a question answered about it.

Basically i would like a mobile set up of what i use at college. I have been looking at M audio boxes but need more mic inputs without spending to much (like £200+)

At college we have our nice big desk which goes to pro tools. Mics go into the snake box and we bus the channels out to pro tools, (bussing on the desk which then goes into pro tools)

I would like something like that becasue i have a mixer already (which can be upgraded) which i want to go to pro tools. So without spending money on the m audio box i can use the mixer for the mic inputs.

But what and how does it go to the mac in pro tools to make it work. I am trying to do this on a laptop.
It must have something in between the mixer and the mac!!

Thanks

Custom Built Pearlescent Red Strat

Alpine White Les Paul Copy
Cream Fender Tele Copy
Vox Amps
You'll need a protools interface, and only specific ones work. I believe it's just digidesign and some m-audio interfaces that are compatible with protools.

To be honest if you're using a mac I'd advise getting logic express or studio instead of protools, as you could get a much better interface for your money if you don't limit yourself to protools interfaces.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I was going to use logic aswell, but more for the midi interface with it. So if i did use just logic how would i connect it to the mac from the mixer to be able to have all the channels working correctly.

Cream Fender Tele Copy
Vox Amps
If your mixer has direct outputs on each channel, you'll connect those to the individual inputs on whatever interface you get (I would advise a firewire interface, I use a motu ultralite but I've heard great things about the presonus FP10, and apparently Focusrite make some nice ones). The interface will connect to your computer and you'll set up the different inputs from the interface to record on different channels in logic.

Alternatlively, if your desk doesn't have direct outputs, you could just go from the AUX outs, but that would limit you as to how many inputs you could have at a time. You could just completely bypass the mixer.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Ok, well i have had a look at some mixers with 4 sub group, so if i do a ouput of them that would work. The interface box in between would only need 4 inputs from the mixer, can you suggest one with less inputs than the ones you said (as at the moment they are to expensive for me) although i realise i may lose quality in going lower, but i dont need that many inputs

Cream Fender Tele Copy
Vox Amps
anyone know of any cheaper ones, under £150

Cream Fender Tele Copy
Vox Amps