well for christmas my aunt doesnt want to give me money(i dont know why so dont ask). i saw a thread a while back about someone built there own amp from some speakers they had lying around. now she said i could get a voucher from maplin UK so i want to build an amp from stuff that i am going to buy from there. so can you please list what i would need to do this. i just want a simple amp plug n play style with only a volume pot. please give me some quck advice i have to ring her soon and tell her what i want.

Warp3r

ps; i want it relatively cheap
Quote by will123456789

and mate: ure the first 08er to make me laugh kudos

Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Turn it off and on again.

^ Golden computer rule.

Quote by Spamwise
I've had a hooker die once. I love getting free stuff.
would i be able to use this speaker www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=21376 and just plug it into a input jack and go or do i need a power supply and a preamp .. please help me soon

Warp3r
Quote by will123456789

Quote by Mr. La Fritz

^ Golden computer rule.

Quote by Spamwise
Last edited by Warp3r at Dec 7, 2008,
wow iv got to say that was so helpful is anyone going to help or am i just going to get answers similar to those of this twat above me
Quote by will123456789

Quote by Mr. La Fritz

^ Golden computer rule.

Quote by Spamwise
I thought you were joking because you showed such little knowledge of amps.
Now, because you're such a dip sh1t, I couldn't be bothered to help you.
why would i be joking we all have to start somewhere ffs, now is anyone going to help me ??
Quote by will123456789

Quote by Mr. La Fritz

^ Golden computer rule.

Quote by Spamwise
That speaker isn't powered, so you'll need to build both pre- and power stages if you want to try and make a working amp. Assuming you're going to make a small solid state amp, you'll also need a step down (is that the right way?) transformer and a DC power regulator if you intend to run it from mains, or you can run it from batteries.

You say you just want a 'simple' amp, i assume then that your not worried about the tone it produces, you just want it to amplify your guitar signal? In that case, you could probably build a pre-amp using an LM741 or another simple op-amp, and run the power stage as a push-pull set up biased into class AB. It's quite a simple circuit, but will be frustrating, as i guarantee you it won't work how you expect it to, and you'll spend hours wondering what the hell is going on with it.
he was the one being an ass not me he posted a pointless mocking post which wasnt helpful and thank you mad bob that was helpful.
Quote by will123456789

Quote by Mr. La Fritz

^ Golden computer rule.

Quote by Spamwise
Honestly I'm on Warp3r's side. I mean why wouldn't he be "serious" about that? Just ****ing answer the guy's question next time instead of acting like superior little pricks; there are worse things than not knowing **** about amps.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
^Best bet for a simple amp that sounds good enough to be useful for bedroom practice.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Why not buy a VJ and mod it first? You'll get experience and it's less work
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i would reccomend that too but maybe he wants something more simplilar and not tube, SS is always a good start TS...
Am I allowed to say "No you don't" ??
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
^ . You. Yoouuu. Funny.

Warp3r, you need to do some research. "How do I build an amp" is a really difficult question to answer.

We can help a lot more with specifics, so let me just recommend that you look around a lot first, then ask questions you still have.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
ok i guys il put the amp bilding on hold for now then il just fiish my 100 gbp build 1st thanks for the help though

Warp3r
Quote by will123456789

Quote by Mr. La Fritz

^ Golden computer rule.

Quote by Spamwise