I haven't had any problems. I just figured I would show it off. I am thinking of replacing the pickups with a duncan SH-4

HUGE PIC *56K beware*
Large pic so you can observe with high resolution.

http://www.nnuploads.com/files/30736_rjgj4/guitarrust.JPG

The rust is mostly on the bottom pickup. There is a small amount of rust on the bridge, mostly dead skin though.(from playing all the time) as well as a small amount on the neck pickup. No rust anywhere else though.

I am thinking because I play it so much in a high humidity environment, it is magnetized a lot. Therefore increasing the normal oxidation.

discuss
I live in Fl, and i left my first guitar in my garage (big mistake) the pickups would rust.

Does it affect the tone of the pick-up?
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Van halen's guitar has more rust than the USS Arizona

If it does affect the tone it's not an adverse effect. The iron to conduct the electricity is still there. I doubt it will go to pure iron oxide for a long time.
It is the salt in the air thats rusting it (if you live within 10 miles of the ocean)
macjac, rust is iron oxide, so it is when iron reacts with oxygen. iron isnt a very reactive metal (compared to aluminium or higher), so it takes a while to react with the small amounts of oxygen in the air over time and turns a brownish colored powder eventually, but it starts as a coating.

salt (sodium chloride) would have nothing to do with it as it is a far more reactive metal and could with a high enough concentrate would stop iron rusting as fast.

sorry to go off topic...

kinda on topic....
the rust might affect the tone, it could give you less output and possibly a lot more hum

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Only the area exposed to oxygen would be able to rust. There would be a superficial layer of Iron Oxide, but the inside would still be good until the rust peels off of the metal underneath is exposed.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Only the area exposed to oxygen would be able to rust. There would be a superficial layer of Iron Oxide, but the inside would still be good until the rust peels off of the metal underneath is exposed.

that sums up what i said

you could try get new pickup covers btw

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost