The shape of the bass is quite important to me, lately I've been looking for potential basses. I want a violin shaped bass:

I need it to play predominately blues..

Price range of £150-200

Haven't found anything as of yet

Any recco's?
I'd say look for Hofner or a Hofner knock off, that one doesn't look very good to me.
If you save up a bit more, you can get an Ibanez AGB, of wich I have heard great things, although I haven't played one myself, yet.

Edit, the Ibanez is not violin-shaped though. It is semi-acoustic however.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by sam_ofzo
If you save up a bit more, you can get an Ibanez AGB, of wich I have heard great things, although I haven't played one myself, yet.

Edit, the Ibanez is not violin-shaped though. It is semi-acoustic however.

this. violins are awful. the only reason Paul used them was because he's stingy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I think Epiphone makes one, and Hofner
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Thanks for the suggestions, are they that bad??

The one in the pic is just a what a random google came up with..

How about a Les Paul one??
Les Paul basses aren't really made anymore. At least not the hollow body ones. You can get a cheap epiphone version thats solid body for about $300 USD though.
Quote by Lomu
If you want a good AV get something like Norton 360

Do you agree with that guy? That's why we have the Computer Thread. Use it.
I don't like them--they sound thumpy and hollow in a bad sort of way. Rogue and Hofner both make them. I swear to the bass gods, the Hofner sounds like someone pulled bass strings across a cardboard box. The Rogue is even worse.

If you want a semi-hollow bodied sound, go for an Ibanez Articore.
Quote by Libertine..
Thanks for the suggestions, are they that bad??

The one in the pic is just a what a random google came up with..

How about a Les Paul one??

1) Yes, they are that bad. I have never played a violin bass of any kind that sounded/felt good. Never buy a bass solely for the looks.

2) I think you mean Gibson or Epiphone. You'll find that the majority of the members of this forum have a great lack of respect for basses produced by either company. They are usually of poor quality and feature exceedingly uncomfortable designs. In my opinion, there is no Epiphone worth owning (except for maybe some of their really old models) and the only Gibson worth owning is a vintage Grabber.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Last edited by Beast_Within at Dec 7, 2008,
yeah, how about this

Ibanez Artcore...it's a little more expensive, and is much better than ANY violin style bass in your price range.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
I have a 70's Hofner, an original. They have a muddy tone, extremely high action and feel like they might snap in your hands. There are other Semi-Hollows out there which are far, far better.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by WyldeMan666
try rondomusic.com they got great violen basses for good prices

+1, I've heard very good reviews from the Douglas models, and they're apparently much more solid than a Hofner due to a center block. Getting it across the Atlantic might be a problem, though...

Also, know that violin basses really aren't for everyone. You really have to know what you want when you get one. Do you?
Nope, no sig here.
You're based in the UK right? get a squier vintage modified jazz. Google it and click on shopping, there's a couple of online shops got them for £200. For the price you can't beat them.
Quote by the humanity
this. violins are awful. the only reason Paul used them was because he's stingy.

He actually used them because he thought that it wouldn't look odd if it was upside down, since he is a lefty.
Quote by Beast_Within
...the only Gibson worth owning is a vintage Grabber.

Let's not forget the Ripper, Victory, and Artist.

Anyways, I've never played a Violin bass that was nice.
Quote by Zycho
Let's not forget the Ripper, Victory, and Artist.

Damn my memory . You are, in fact, correct, my good sir. However, I would take a Ripper/Grabber over either the Victory or the Artist in a heartbeat.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by watchingmefall
He actually used them because he thought that it wouldn't look odd if it was upside down, since he is a lefty.

well, both really. he didn't have the money for a precision.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom