I want to install a locking nut in the telecaster im buying from my school. The main reason is for keeping the guitar in tune when i play gigs and caryy it to school etc. I was just wondering how to install it into the neck. Do i have to route some of the first fret or the neck?
Gear
Ibanez GRG170DX
Bluerock Begginers Strat
Fender Acoustic
Bluerock Begginers 10W Amp
Lne 6 Spider 3 15
Gear to come
Les Paul Copy(Fixing up to be good)
What do you need pics of? The guitar?
Gear
Ibanez GRG170DX
Bluerock Begginers Strat
Fender Acoustic
Bluerock Begginers 10W Amp
Lne 6 Spider 3 15
Gear to come
Les Paul Copy(Fixing up to be good)
cant put a locking nut on uless you have tuners on the bridge aswell .if dont have them you have done the exact opposite from what you set out too do
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by cruc1a7
try locking tuners first?

+1

Also, a good graph-tech nut would help, and make sure you change your strings often enough.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
locking nut is pointless without fine tuners at the bridge, and im sure a super pain in the ass.

actually tightening the locking nut will make your strings go slightly sharp.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Pics of the neck obviously!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
first your bridge is going to need fine tuners, and your probably going to have to make a nut shelf.
Get a graphite nut and locking tuners
Or, rather than spending money on some useless marketing scheme, lock your own strings like this.

(Invalid img)

And lubricate your nut like this.

Graphite works wonders on string contact points.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Or, rather than spending money on some useless marketing scheme, lock your own strings like this.

(Invalid img)

All the Fenders that come through my store are strung like this. It doesn't seem to really have helped them very much, they go out of tune just as often as the rest of our guitars. Of course, I don't mind tuning them since it usually means I can sit there and play for a bit.
I Japanese Fenders
just get some locking tuners they work great on my strat even w/ wammy wankery (sp)
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Do those fenders have trems?

This method prevents string slippage during normal, trem-less play.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Do those fenders have trems?

This method prevents string slippage during normal, trem-less play.

They do, except for the Tele. We leave the bars out, though, so kids can't destroy the guitars.
I Japanese Fenders
Hmm, well I have only been using that method for about a month, but it works in my experience.

I'll continue to use and recommend it though, I mean come on, a free solution to tunning instability? Hard to come by.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
Hmm, well I have only been using that method for about a month, but it works in my experience.

I'll continue to use and recommend it though, I mean come on, a free solution to tunning instability? Hard to come by.

I hope it does work! I just haven't found a tried and true method. I put Planet Waves Auto-Trim locking tuners on my Schecter C-1 Classic, which came with a Graphtec nut, and once I tune it up, I can bend to my heart's content without any problems. Some of the guitars at the store are just as good, some aren't, it's hard to really tell how much of a difference it makes, to be quite honest. Mostly I like the minimal to non-existent play in the tuners and the tight gear ratio- it just feels good to tune compared to the Grovers that were on there. And don't get me wrong, Grovers are high-quality machines, I just don't like the Rotomatics that much. The Sta-Tites are my choice for acoustic tuners.

Heck, whatever works I guess. Mostly I just like wasting money on my guitars
I Japanese Fenders