It works. I dont know how long they will last, but it worked for now and may hold me off untill christmas.

Point of thread - It will work as a temporary substitute. I added a Ts. of salt to my water, dont know if it helped or not, but everything Ive ever been taught told me it would "draw" out the ick.
hunh????
I'm confused.
Why did you boil your strings???
Quote by Victor Wooten
Frontbassman, You Win!
Also, Sig this or die!

^Yea you read right, Victor Wooten just gave me a complement.

Quote by kevin14u2nv

dude, in flames sucks.
all their music sounds the same

^ he listens to dragonforce
There's a bit on this in FAQ. If you can't buy new strings, its a way to extend the life. However its a quick fix that only lasts a very short time and cannot be repeated.

Also the pot you boiled them in is now officially kaputt for cooking btw...
add cayenne pepper, it gives your tone a needed punch.

the old people at Philmont had just boiled their strings over and over since the 70's, I could almost feel them dissolving while I played.

the only time I tried this, I was stupid and added oil to get it to boil right. it still kinda worked, but it didn't sound too new.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by anarkee
There's a bit on this in FAQ. If you can't buy new strings, its a way to extend the life. However its a quick fix that only lasts a very short time and cannot be repeated.

what happens to the pot?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
what happens to the pot?

I still use mine.

I think it's just the oil from your hands and the dirt, the first time I made soup with it afterwards the food tasted fine.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I still use mine.

I think it's just the oil from your hands and the dirt, the first time I made soup with it afterwards the food tasted fine.

So you had money for soup, but not new strings?
Quote by Lomu
If you want a good AV get something like Norton 360

Do you agree with that guy? That's why we have the Computer Thread. Use it.
Quote by anarkee
Don't tell my wife Tams; she'll kill me.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Smartass
So you had money for soup, but not new strings?

your name is very suitable.

but I didn't pay for the soup.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

There's some oxidation involved which doesn't always mix well with aluminum and other metal pots. God help you if you use a Teflon coated one. It will remove the Teflon in flakes.
Quote by anarkee
There's some oxidation involved which doesn't always mix well with aluminum and other metal pots. God help you if you use a Teflon coated one. It will remove the Teflon in flakes.

bass strings can compromise Teflon?!?
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
i dont think the bass forum is the right place for a woman and cooking joke now
but whats the exact occurence fo what will happen to the pot?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by anarkee

steel pan, steel strings.

I'm safe.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by alternitivebass
i dont think the bass forum is the right place for a woman and cooking joke now
but whats the exact occurence fo what will happen to the pot?

Edited because I don't want to get banned
Quote by Lomu
If you want a good AV get something like Norton 360

Do you agree with that guy? That's why we have the Computer Thread. Use it.
Last edited by Smartass at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by Smartass
On that note, here's a joke.

Why did the woman cross the road? Better yet, what was she doing out of the kitchen?

I foresee the ban cometh...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I boiled my strings before a gig yesterday. Then I added Dunlop 65 String conditioner. Although I fear it's a very short fix, it sounded amazing! Wait... or was that my amp? Whatever happened, I was promised sexual favors after my show....
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
I have a special pot for boiling mine in. It was teflon coated...

I've mentioned my recipe before, I know it works, 'cos I'm a cheapskate and do it with guitar and bass strings regularly.

And you can boil a set more than once.
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by creepingjesus73
I have a special pot for boiling mine in. It was teflon coated...

I've mentioned my recipe before, I know it works, 'cos I'm a cheapskate and do it with guitar and bass strings regularly.

And you can boil a set more than once.

is every time it sounds too old for 30+ years good though?

because something severely felt wrong about strings that old to me, it may have just been the age though.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ Yeah, realistically, there will come a point when the metal just won't do any more. The set on my Rick copy are over 10 years old (and I got them second hand for free, from a mate...), and they do possess a certain 'flatwound' quality. Not bright by any means, but they feel really smooth...
Quote by creepingjesus73
^ Yeah, realistically, there will come a point when the metal just won't do any more. The set on my Rick copy are over 10 years old (and I got them second hand for free, from a mate...), and they do possess a certain 'flatwound' quality. Not bright by any means, but they feel really smooth...

yeah, that sounds right. thanks.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard