I admit that I am a noob when it comes to recording. I am getting a what seems like half second delay between what I am trying to record and when my computer actually captures the sound. I have nothing fancy to record with, yet. All I have is Cubase 4 as my program and I am plugging an off brand microphone into the mic input of my laptop. I am loving the program and everything it does but when I try to add any lead lines to a rhythm riff I have recorded the timing is off. I think it is pobably the fault of my stock soundcard but I was wondering if there is ANY way to fix this for the time being while I save up some cash?
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
yeah i've always had a time delay when i record. i even tried a sound card and it doesnt seem to help the delay at all. your best bet is to just record using a backing track or what have you, then just try and sync it up as best you can.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
or, record the rhythm and lead in cubase, then transfer to audacity(unless cubase has timeshift) and use the time shift tool to line it up,
Quote by emery01

So now there's seven guys writhing around on the floor, moaning and holding their 'nads.

Ahh, good times.

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

Quote by riffmasterjosh
yeah right ur on. i challenge you to a beard off.
You want a beard, off?

Then shave, stuipid
Quote by HedBanger24/7
I admit that I am a noob when it comes to recording. I am getting a what seems like half second delay between what I am trying to record and when my computer actually captures the sound. I have nothing fancy to record with, yet. All I have is Cubase 4 as my program and I am plugging an off brand microphone into the mic input of my laptop. I am loving the program and everything it does but when I try to add any lead lines to a rhythm riff I have recorded the timing is off. I think it is pobably the fault of my stock soundcard but I was wondering if there is ANY way to fix this for the time being while I save up some cash?

That delay is called "Latency". I'll post a link to help you understand it better. The first thing I did when I wanted to get serious with my recording is work on latency with my settings. All recording has latency, you can get it to where the human ear cant pick up the slight delay.

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/dealing_with_latency/

just a quick google search, I cant remember where I found most of my info but this should get you started.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.