You don't need to watch the whole video (though the song is excellent), just play it from around 4:20 (which is almost the end of this 4:44 video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04JJSNUH9Y

He holds a note, and then this high pitch sound comes in and he does vibrato on it with the bar. But how does he start the sound exactly? Is it a harmonic of some kind?

Thanks a lot
It's feedback.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
it was feedback from the amp. if you have enough gain and volume on your amp, and your standing close to the speaker, and your hands are away from the strings, you'll start hearing the noise
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
yea if the amp is loud enough and with enough gain the strings will vibrate themselves. so, harmonics will naturally come out but if u coax it by resting your finger like a natural harmonic on a certain fret, you can get higher or lower pitch. then the rest is just using the whammy bar to create vibrato. a smooth circle pattern will do nicely.
feedback, i thought it could be a tapped harmonic but he doesnt do it
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
it was feedback from the amp. if you have enough gain and volume on your amp, and your standing close to the speaker, and your hands are away from the strings, you'll start hearing the noise

Yes, I thought that, but I don't see Shawn moving closer to the speakers in order to start the feedback =/
Feedback. Clearly.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Feedback.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Quote by Ikary
Yes, I thought that, but I don't see Shawn moving closer to the speakers in order to start the feedback =/

You don't need to walk closer to the amp to get feedback.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't need to walk closer to the amp to get feedback.

exactly, if you watch closely he turns up the volume on his guitar just before the feedback starts, giving more of everyting and bringin on the feedback.
Quote by Ikary

you dont necessarilly have to move closer to the speakers, but it helps
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.