I've got a blues jr. and i play out of a telecaster, Agile les paul and soon to be replacing the les paul, and ibanez rg....I can get a nice blues tone with my tubescreamer, but cant find a tone for evh type sound where the harmonics shine...i have a fuzz pedal, but its noisy and tapping doesnt "shine", and i got a ds-1 which is just flat out noisy and messy sounding...i played through a valvetronix amp last night and the tapping sounded great and clean even with my tele, so what can i do to get this lively sound where the harmonics shine? thanks
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Maybe try a Fulltone OCD in conjunction with the Tubescreamer?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i know a blues jr. wasnt designed for the style...its main style fits the sounds of my band better, and i love it for that...but i just need a pedal at roughly $100 to simulate that cranked marshall sound, like i said the valvetronix simulates it well, but neither the fuzz or the ds-1 get near it
Quote by Kevin Saale
You need a plexi cranked to ten with a variac, seriously.

But in all seriousness, an american blues amp is going to have a hard time doing evh since he used marshall amps. This pedal might be the closest you'll get, but it's pricey:

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=972&CategoryID=517

Damn you.

EDIT: Maybea Lovepedal Purple Plexi
so any other suggestions...someone gave me the ds-1 when bout 6 yrs ago, just dont like it...fuzz is for chili peppers
i agree with Felix, Kevin, and 311
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
so the consensus is a fulltone or purple plexi or the pro guitar shop pedal?
a MI audio crunchbox might get you there. ive heard demos and there pretty good
Quote by nemjeff13
so the consensus is a fulltone or purple plexi or the pro guitar shop pedal?

Pro Guitar Shop is a review site.
yeah i meant the carl martin plexitone...i was just couldnt remember the name, so i referenced the link
The CM Plexitone is probably the best of the batch for getting EVH type of sound.
try to find the user riffhog. i think he's really big into the evh tone iirc
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
guys...
Halen used peavey 6505's (5150)
common...
they were modded.

id say try the OCD and Tube scremer with a lot of gain.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
but still, if you want his tone, and donmt want to break the bank buying a superlead and vatiac
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
The 5150/6505 won't get you anywhere near his classic sound, IMO. The 5150III's crunch channel captures his tone very well, though it's much more expensive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Peavey 5150/6505 doesn't really do VH tone that well imo. The new EVH 5150III supposedly does a good job though. I'm not saying the Peaveys are not good amps but they're not really very Van Halen-ish at all. EVH used the Peavey wolfgang guitars but there are even rumours that the 5150 amps he used on stage were really his Marshalls in Peavey boxes. I don't know how much truth there is to those rumors, regardless, the closest to VH tone I've ever heard came from 1968 Marshall plexis into two quads of 25 watt greenbacks.

Check out this guy's SC using a '68 spec SL.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=662365&songID=5122822
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=662365&content=songinfo&songID=6362871

Likewise another clip of a '68 plexi clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tESqDOMScEw

I think they get pretty close to the EVH tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 8, 2008,