Poll: Has it appened to you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Has it appened to you?
Yeah
116 69%
Nope
52 31%
Voters: 168.
Page 1 of 2
Okay, you're in a guitar store, you are trying out the guitar that you want to buy and everyone is watching you and yu don't know what to play!!!!! No matter how many songs/riffs/solos you know you just don't know what to play and end up playing an A chord and a B chord and soe yankee doodle.

Has this happened to you??

this also goes for playing in front of people.

I end up playing, smoke on the water, enter sand man and crap chords. I just can't think of anything to play EVEN tough I have my own music.
Last edited by thedefrockednun at Dec 7, 2008,
not really... i always feel better than the dude thats playing iron man and smoke on the water, that will walk out of the store with a spider and squire strat ( in black cause its METAL)
didnt play yankee doodle, but ya when before i got decent i just fiddled around and was super nervous
learn to improvise
thats what i do now, and play my own stuff.
Not guitar,, because i didn't know how to play at the time.......... Drums ,,
i feel a four beat coming on,, (1st thing you learn).. get it all the time
I wouldnt touch you... even with a 20 ft pole

:stickpoke :stickpoke :stickpoke
Quote by thedefrockednun
Okay, you're in a guitar store, you are trying out the guitar that you want to buy and everyone is watching you and yu don't know what to play!!!!! No matter how many songs/riffs/solos you know you just don't know what to play and end up playing an A chord and a B chord and soe yankee doodle.

Has this happened to you??

yes, all the time.

i end up playing...

enter sandman, MoP, enter sandman, MoP, battery, back in black.

terrible
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
there was a thread on this about a month or so ago.

but yeah, if osmeone ever asks me to play something, i cant think of anything so i ask them what they'd like to hear but they say "i don't know, anything". and i cant remember what happens next.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
yeah this guy was like played 4 3 years next to me and i just started....and my neighbor who is like 10 saw me once and i played the one solo and like he was like holy..
"The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tommorrow."

~~Bob Marley~~

“I'd rather be hated for hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.”

~~Kurt Cobain~~

Yes. I strummed an E chord and fiddled around with the amp settings until I could think of something to play x]
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
one dream of mine is to play baroque and roll.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

Not really cos in mine theres little sound proof rooms you go in lulz...

They can hear you from outside but you can't see them XD
I just sit down, relax, and play some random riffs that come up. Mostly they are Enter Sandman, Raining Blood, AND IN NO WAY SMOKE ON THE WATER!
First riff I learned, now it's haunting me forever.
When it happends, I play stairway to heaven end solo

And some guns n' roses stuff.
That happenned to me when I went to Canada on Hoilday. My dad, sister, cousin I hadn't seen in like seven years, and his girlfriend were all there. So I picked up a SG, and didn't know what to play, or how to work the amp (damn overdrive button was too small!!!). In the end I played back in black, on an SG, on a clean amp.
I felt like such an idiot and a poser.

But after that I regained some of my dignity by playing super mario world, followed by beat it
Last edited by TheSecondRaid at Dec 7, 2008,
No, but one time my friend wanted to buy a bass and he wanted me to come with so I did, and then he told the guy that I was the one who wanted to buy it and that I wanted to try it out, so I had to play some really crappy bass and tell my friend what I thought of it, haha.
Kinda, i was waiting to try a guitar and then the employee came up to me and asked if i wanted to play it and i said sure. So i'm sitting there setting it up and then when i finished i didnt really know what to play so i started playing Dont fear the reaper. And while i was playing it the employee was like "that sounds good" so then he turns it up really loud (im a super shy guy) the entire store was pretty much looking at me and then someone came on the PA and said " Can we get some more cowbell to checkout? More cowbell to checkout. That is all." And it sort of made me feel like an idiot because of how easy a song it is.
Beers on me
If in doubt dance like a miner bird.. dance like a miner bird! That or put your bum on the guitar and ask people to look at you putting your bum on the guitar.
not to deviate too much but i never learned the smoke on the water riff until maybe my 3rd or 4th year into guitar playing. Never actually knew the name of the song, but i had heard the riff before.
but usually when i'm out at a store i just play some random notes and the G-D/F#-Em progression before going into cover mode.
I was trying a ESP/LTD KH-202 and an Ibanez RG

all i could think of at that moment was Enter Sandman and One....
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Quote by jmilli2
If in doubt dance like a miner bird.. dance like a miner bird! That or put your bum on the guitar and ask people to look at you putting your bum on the guitar.

lol wut

(damn I miss the pear )
so far the most played in shops is enter sandman, random notes and smoke on the water and stairway to heaven.
Yeah it usually happens to me actually. I always end up playing some riffs I make up on the spot, but I'm starting to learn some more technical songs that aren't shred, so I'll prob play those next time I'm trying out a guitar.
i playembarrasingly easy stuff in guitar stores as i'm scared of making mistakes in front of people, even though i can play more complicated stuff than SotW or chords.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by SlipknotRule93
but yeah, if osmeone ever asks me to play something, i cant think of anything so i ask them what they'd like to hear but they say "i don't know, anything". and i cant remember what happens next.

You just descibed me there.

As soon as anyone asks me to play something my mind goes completely blank. I'll usually just play the Sweet Child Of Mine intro.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Yeah basically I'm in a guitar store, I'm are trying out the guitar that I want to buy and everyone is watching me and i don't know what to play!!!!! No matter how many songs/riffs/solos I know I just don't know what to play and end up playing an A chord and a B chord and soe yankee doodle.
when you're jamming on your own, just write down the stuff you play and bring that list with you to the shop.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
all the time, it makes me sad
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
I used to have that problem but to avoid it I've learned some generic crap songs to impress the noobs. It's funny how people love the pokemon theme or the final countdown but don't really listen if you play something that takes a little skill.
Maybe, i went to guitar center and got my Yamaha FG700S, but I am very new so I didn't even try thinking of playing anything. I don't even know what I would be listening for. I examined it to make sure everything was intact, but I haven't heard any high quality guitars to see how they sound different from mine.
Quote by Gypsysunrainbo
NO STAIRWAY!!!

lol

Why the hell would you not play stairway?

Anywho, I don't ever go to guitar stores..I only have one in my city, and you have to parallel park to get into the store..it's not very convenient.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
I usually end up playin seek and destroy over and over again... its kind of what i do when I get nervous
Quote by mentalrazorback
I usually end up playin seek and destroy over and over again... its kind of what i do when I get nervous

lol that's wierd
I always play Minor Swing.

But really, really slowly.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
i usually just end up playing some laid to rest. mostly lamb of god ****, or that fast riff on Hourglass
Man: "I'd like to call you. What's your number?"
Woman: "It's in the phone book."

Man: "But I don't know your name."
Woman: "That's in the phone book too."
I just ask for whoever is showing me the amp or guitar to fiddle around a bit, because I'd rather pay attention to how it sounds. Then i play it unplugged by myself to see how it feels. They usually just go with it so its all good
YES.

I fiddled around just playing random chords until randomly starting half-way through the intro to "take it out on me" by bfmv
uhhhhh

Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
I remembered the time I was so blazed I got a boner looking at a muffin.

Quote by Kensai
I like my ramen noodles like I like my women: Devoid of any taste lying lifeless in a body of water.

Thats how every man likes his women
Page 1 of 2