I've been looking around at rack gear a lot recently and found the DOD SR431QXLR 31-band EQ, I'm purchasing a Peavey 5150 combo here very soon and I will have a BBE sonic maximizer in a few weeks, what will this EQ provide for me? I play to Metal/MeloDeath if that helps

Please keep in mind I am very new to rack gear

http://www.dod.com/graphiceqs/sr431.htm
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Last edited by Metalcoresoul at Dec 7, 2008,
EQs are the most useful effects you can have, but you don't need a 31 band EQ for Guitar.
I've seen rack units that are 2x 15 band EQs side by side, I reckon these would be more useful, especially if you plan on getting a MIDI switching system.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by FischmungaXTR
EQs are the most useful effects you can have, but you don't need a 31 band EQ for Guitar.
I've seen rack units that are 2x 15 band EQs side by side, I reckon these would be more useful, especially if you plan on getting a MIDI switching system.

I found a great deal the 31-band DOD EQ I posted a link to in my previous post though, about $70, it wouldnt be any WORSE to get a 31-band EQ instead of a 15-band EQ would it?

Like I said, I am very new to rack gear. I know what the MIDI playback is on GP and Powertab, but what exactly is the MIDI system you are talking about and what does it do?

I've just picked up a 31-band EQ for myself, and I found it really helps with my tone. Sure, 31 bands is a BIT overkill, but the 10-band wasn't cutting it.

It helps if you have the ability to switch it from a 31-band EQ to a dual 15-band EQ, like mine does. (DBX 1531X, for the record. Discontinued)

I'm not entirely sure what Fischmunga means when he's talking about a MIDI switch system. I could hazard a guess, but I won't at this stage.

I'm going to say that if you feel limited with a 10-band, give a 15 or 31 band EQ a shot. I know it worked for me. The best bet, though, would be a 15/31 band EQ, depending on how you run it (Stereo or Mono).
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by WinterSteel
I've just picked up a 31-band EQ for myself, and I found it really helps with my tone. Sure, 31 bands is a BIT overkill, but the 10-band wasn't cutting it.

It helps if you have the ability to switch it from a 31-band EQ to a dual 15-band EQ, like mine does. (DBX 1531X, for the record. Discontinued)

I'm not entirely sure what Fischmunga means when he's talking about a MIDI switch system. I could hazard a guess, but I won't at this stage.

I'm going to say that if you feel limited with a 10-band, give a 15 or 31 band EQ a shot. I know it worked for me. The best bet, though, would be a 15/31 band EQ, depending on how you run it (Stereo or Mono).

What would be the advantages/dis of running it Stereo to Mono?

And also, if I was to choose either a dual 15-band or a single 31-band, the 2x15 would be a better choice? I'm assuming that the dual has 2 channels on it so that you can switch between each channel and have each of them EQ'ed to different levels?

Last edited by Metalcoresoul at Dec 7, 2008,
Well, the difference really shines out when you're running it through 2 cabs. As of right now, I run through a Randall RG50TC combo, so I don't need stereo at all, as there's just the one speaker.

You only get stereo if you're running the dual 15-band, normally. You'd have to take a look to see if the dual 15-band can be expanded to a 31-band. I think the only way to switch channels and have them EQ'ed to different levels would be to use an A/B/Y switcher or two, but don't quote me on that.

The EQ I have doesn't have a switching function; it's either mono, 31-band function, or stereo, 15-band function, both EQ's separate from one another.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by WinterSteel
Well, the difference really shines out when you're running it through 2 cabs. As of right now, I run through a Randall RG50TC combo, so I don't need stereo at all, as there's just the one speaker.

You only get stereo if you're running the dual 15-band, normally. You'd have to take a look to see if the dual 15-band can be expanded to a 31-band. I think the only way to switch channels and have them EQ'ed to different levels would be to use an A/B/Y switcher or two, but don't quote me on that.

The EQ I have doesn't have a switching function; it's either mono, 31-band function, or stereo, 15-band function, both EQ's separate from one another.

Oh ok, well, I'll only be running it through one cab, so if I bought a dual 15-band its essentially the same as a 31-band? (assuming that it CAN be expanded, the 2 I'm lookin at are the DOD and the DBX right now)

^The idea behind having a dual 15-band is that you can set them both up differently to get different sounds, then switch between the 2 remotely.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
Like I said, I am very new to rack gear. I know what the MIDI playback is on GP and Powertab, but what exactly is the MIDI system you are talking about and what does it do?

Midi switching system, for example the Voodo GCX: http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm

It allows you to switch between various connection possibilities in your rack. Also allows you to keep your stomp boxes in your rack and have true bypass switching.
etc. etc.

I'm sure you know how amps such as the line 6 spider can have channel presets?
It's kind of like that but with real amps & effects.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Last edited by FischmungaXTR at Dec 7, 2008,
Quote by FischmungaXTR
^The idea behind having a dual 15-band is that you can set them both up differently to get different sounds, then switch between the 2 remotely.

Midi switching system, for example the Voodo GCX: http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm

It allows you to switch between various connection possibilities in your rack. Also allows you to keep your stomp boxes in your rack and have true bypass switching.
etc. etc.

I'm sure you know how amps such as the line 6 spider can have channel presets?
It's kind of like that but with real amps & effects.

Yeah, I'm actually stuck with a Spider III 75W right now haha, hint me buying a 5150.

So if I were to buy a MIDI switching system, I could switch between, not only a dual band EQ, but also between any of racks and/or pedals I may buy later on?

Quote by Metalcoresoul
So if I were to buy a MIDI switching system, I could switch between, not only a dual band EQ, but also between any of racks and/or pedals I may buy later on?

Yes. There's not a whole lot that you can't get done with a Midi rig. One of the advantages of buying a 2x15 band EQ for use with a Midi rig is that you can have each side set up differently and then be able to switch either one in or out of the signal path pretty much at will.

The VoodooLab stuff is absolutely fantastic considering the price point and the degree of versatility when used together. It's not the most capable stuff in the world, but if you don't ever see yourself outgrowing it, then it's almost perfect. One issue is that the GCX only responds to Control Change numbers so if you ever use a floor controller other than the Ground Control Pro, you end up creating a lot more work for yourself. For the switching unit I usually recommend a Rocktron Patchmate (cheaper than a GCX and basically the same thing) or an RJM RG-16 (more expensive than a GCX, but way more versatile as it has a bunch of function switches you can use to do pretty much whatever you want). For the Mad Crazy Baller status, a company called Sound Sculpture makes a line of switching units called the Switchblade, these things give you more routing capability than anything, but are also really expensive.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Yes. There's not a whole lot that you can't get done with a Midi rig. One of the advantages of buying a 2x15 band EQ for use with a Midi rig is that you can have each side set up differently and then be able to switch either one in or out of the signal path pretty much at will.

The VoodooLab stuff is absolutely fantastic considering the price point and the degree of versatility when used together. It's not the most capable stuff in the world, but if you don't ever see yourself outgrowing it, then it's almost perfect. One issue is that the GCX only responds to Control Change numbers so if you ever use a floor controller other than the Ground Control Pro, you end up creating a lot more work for yourself. For the switching unit I usually recommend a Rocktron Patchmate (cheaper than a GCX and basically the same thing) or an RJM RG-16 (more expensive than a GCX, but way more versatile as it has a bunch of function switches you can use to do pretty much whatever you want). For the Mad Crazy Baller status, a company called Sound Sculpture makes a line of switching units called the Switchblade, these things give you more routing capability than anything, but are also really expensive.

Thanks, that definetly helps. However, the Rocktron you listed is almost $400 and that is out of my budget, is there something that has similar capabilities for less?

Quote by Metalcoresoul
Thanks, that definetly helps. However, the Rocktron you listed is almost $400 and that is out of my budget, is there something that has similar capabilities for less?

Not really. The Rocktron is pretty much the least expensive unit on the market for this kind of thing. The VoodooLab GCX is $400, the RJM RG-16 is $600, and the Sound Sculpture Switchblade 8 is $850 (the GL model is something like $1950).

The biggest limiting factor when dealing with rack based Midi rigs is the cost of everything. You need a switching unit, a floor controller, a rack case, a power unit, tons of cables, etc, etc, etc........and this is before you factor in the cost of an amp or any effects. You have a world of versatility unlike anything else opened up to you, but you have to pay a fortune for it.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM