I posted another thread concerning my choices for a levels and was told that BTEC in music is pointless. Well, to get into University and things.

Are these corses a waste of time, and should I choose something such as history to replace it? Ill be taking music tech anyhoo...

Thanks
A BTEC, especially one in a 'fluffy' subject, from an admission's tutor's point of view, will probs be taken as seriously as you walking into their office and mooning them.

So no, don't waste your time.
You're taking music tech A Level?
That's worthless. Take Music A level and Physics A Level.
It all depends on what you want to do though.
I've jsut made the same choice.
hello
Quote by Mazzakazza
A BTEC, especially one in a 'fluffy' subject, from an admission's tutor's point of view, will probs be taken as seriously as you walking into their office and mooning them.

So no, don't waste your time.

This man knows what he's talking about.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
ive taken a Music Tech BTEC ND
just because im interested in the subject
im also taking english, maths and physics
if its something you're interested in, do it
dont just consider its academic worth, consider the knowledge you'll get from it, and maybe the relaxation of doing something you enjoy

cos after i have just done an hour and a half of physics, sitting down in a room and playing guitar and recording it is pretty rewarding
ok sweet. Thanks for that. Ill take history instead then.

How is music tech worthless without physics?

All together ill be taking, Music Tech, English lit, Media Studies, History.

Good or bad set of subjects?

Thanks
A friend of mine is doing a Music Tech BTEC but that's because he wants to go straight into working as a sound engineer rather than go to Uni. My advice is if you don't want a musically related career then Music A-level is a waste of time and even if you do it's not that neccessary.

Quote by moominman2
ok sweet. Thanks for that. Ill take history instead then.

How is music tech worthless without physics?

All together ill be taking, Music Tech, English lit, Media Studies, History.

Good or bad set of subjects?

Thanks

Media isn't the best, kind of a subject most academics would ignore but I doubt it will hold you back much. What do you wanna do after A-level?
Quote by oscar666
ive taken a Music Tech BTEC ND
just because im interested in the subject
im also taking english, maths and physics
if its something you're interested in, do it
dont just consider its academic worth, consider the knowledge you'll get from it, and maybe the relaxation of doing something you enjoy

cos after i have just done an hour and a half of physics, sitting down in a room and playing guitar and recording it is pretty rewarding

The ND = Equiv. 4 A-levels, and on top of that is English, Maths and Physics?

Unis I've looked into favour the BTEC Cert or ND if you wanna do Music Tech in them.
NOPE.
Quote by charvel_man
The ND = Equiv. 4 A-levels, and on top of that is English, Maths and Physics?

It's not actually equivalent to 4 A-Levels, because no-one takes any BTEC very seriously...A-Levels are where it's at if you want to go to higher education.
BTECs are good if you wanna do vocational stuff though, and go straight into employment.
Quote by Mazzakazza
It's not actually equivalent to 4 A-Levels, because no-one takes any BTEC very seriously...A-Levels are where it's at if you want to go to higher education.
BTECs are good if you wanna do vocational stuff though, and go straight into employment.

I need to clear this up. UCAs points-wise, the Certificate with double Distinction = 240 UCAs points, the same as 2 A-levels. With the ND, it equals 360 UCAs points (I think). The BTECs in Music Tech are useful if you wanna study Music Tech at Uni. They like Physics and Maths too. the BTECs are for vocational students though, A-levels are for the academic ones.
NOPE.
Last edited by charvel_man at Dec 7, 2008,
I never said it was worthless without Physics, it's just worthless.
Do music and physics instead of doing music tech.
hello
Don't take A Level music. Take music tech (I see you are.. Good boy)

It's mostly bull****.. Yeah you get your theory learnt but that all get's past quickly.. Then you study jazz and classical.. I understand it's in the curriculum.. But it's pissing me off because I find it hard to care anymore.
Physics would be good for understanding how sound travels, reacts to obstacles/situations (Useful for setting up venues, i guess), and the nature of sound, all the jazz, basically.

It's up to you man, you've got 3 A-Levels + a BTEC, that actually sounds a pretty solid foundation to me, personally, but then I don't run a Uni Campus - assuming that's what you want to do?

D'ya wanna do Higher Ed, or just go straight for a job? If the answer is job, and it's in the music industry...i'd say keep the BTEC.

I would also say ditch Media Studies, but that's just because I hated my course because I didn't get along very well with the teach xD

Quote by charvel_man
I need to clear this up. UCAs points-wise, the Certificate with double Distinction = 240 UCAs points, the same as 2 A-levels. With the ND, it equals 460 UCAs points (I think). The BTECs in Music Tech are useful if you wanna study Music Tech at Uni. They like Physics and Maths too. the BTECs are for vocational students though, A-levels are for the academic ones.

Mate, I know - the problem is, a fair few unis won't accept a BTEC towards an application - check some prospectuses out...

I'm not saying it's right, but like you say, there's a distinction between vocational and academic courses - that's enough for snobbed-up unis to discriminate by.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Dec 7, 2008,
haha. So its not worthless, but it is worthless :S

Nah I can't do that. Only beginning to read music! Its ****. I could only choose music BTEC for gcse.

I need to make a decision by tuesday on what im taking...music BTEC (not music tech BTEC) or history

Help me!
I'm doing a BTEC in Music Tech and all the admission tutors for Music Tech in universities seem to be very happy with it, because you learn balls all for doing it in the A level. If you're serious about going into the music industry then do it. If you want it because you're vaguely interested and want to pad out what you're doing then it doesn't matter.

Also, for the argument that's going on, the BTEC I'm taking is worth 3 A levels, with a triple distinction being equivalent to 3 A's.
Quote by moominman2

Nah I can't do that. Only beginning to read music! Its ****. I could only choose music BTEC for gcse.

I need to make a decision by tuesday on what im taking...music BTEC (not music tech BTEC) or history

Help me!

Don't take music for your A Levels.. Take somethign else.. You can learn your theory and what's important to YOU from the internet.
Well what do you want to do when you're older.
Because no is the time to decide.
hello
Quote by Mazzakazza
Physics would be good for understanding how sound travels, reacts to obstacles/situations (Useful for setting up venues, i guess), and the nature of sound, all the jazz, basically.

It's up to you man, you've got 3 A-Levels + a BTEC, that actually sounds a pretty solid foundation to me, personally, but then I don't run a Uni Campus - assuming that's what you want to do?

D'ya wanna do Higher Ed, or just go straight for a job? If the answer is job, and it's in the music industry...i'd say keep the BTEC.

I would also say ditch Media Studies, but that's just because I hated my course because I didn't get along very well with the teach xD

Mate, I know - the problem is, a fair few unis won't accept a BTEC towards an application - check some prospectuses out...

I'm not saying it's right, but like you say, the distinction between vocational and academic courses is enough for snobbed-up unis to discriminate by.

Yeah man, im hoping to go on to university. Something within music tech.

I want to do my a levels, college and do something as a backup plan, and if Im still good with the idea, go to uni =]
I did music for BTEC National Diploma, alot of my friends did too and we all got into uni. BTEC are alot more practical than A Levels which I prefer to sitting listening to lecturer and writing everything down.

It's all your choice bud.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Quote by moominman2

Help me!

History, it's a very valuable qualification.

But if you wanna do MT at Uni then go for it.
Thanks people. I just got the idea that Music BTEC was not what universities were looking for.

I like history, but its SO boring sometimes! I thought I could do better with history under my belt rather than music btec
Quote by moominman2
Yeah man, im hoping to go on to university. Something within music tech.

I want to do my a levels, college and do something as a backup plan, and if Im still good with the idea, go to uni =]

Some prospectuses I've seen want either an A2 (or 2) in a technology or a relevant science for Music Tech.
NOPE.
Quote by moominman2
Thanks people. I just got the idea that Music BTEC was not what universities were looking for.

I like history, but its SO boring sometimes! I thought I could do better with history under my belt rather than music btec
If you'll be looking at music tech courses they will be very interested in the BTEC. For anything else they won't give it a second glance.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
If you'll be looking at music tech courses they will be very interested in the BTEC. For anything else they won't give it a second glance.

Really? Hows that?

I just wish i'd be able to cope with another subject (history). I really think that will get me far =\
Quote by moominman2
Really? Hows that?

I just wish i'd be able to cope with another subject (history). I really think that will get me far =\

The Music Tech (BTEC) course is hands on and you're gaining practical experience. You won't be in lecture halls at uni with an old guy telling you how a patchbay works, seeing as the technology is changing and you'll be adapting to new stuff all the time. If you show you're capable of handling standard industry software like Logic or Cubase, then you'll be ok.
NOPE.
Thanks alot.

This has also made me think twice.

I mean, what will history help me gain? Ok, it will look good on my CV but I won't use it. I love performing and I feel that if I don't take the BTEC, ill lose time with my guitar and I don't want that to happen. So I think ill be taking music BTEC. If I feel like i'v made a bad choice, I can always study history at college yeh?

So, thanks for everyones opinions. If anyone really thinks its a waste, or whatever, tell me haha. I'd like to know!

Thanks
I took Music BTEC September 2008. I took it mainly because I hadn't taken Music GCSE, and hadn't been graded, so the only musical option open to me was the BTEC route.

After 2 1/2 months, I dropped it. I couldn't stand it. 40 minute theory lesson ONCE a week. It'd be like we'd have an hour lesson, and then a 3 hour break. Wtf's the point?
Couldn't stand the curriculum. Everybody there were br00tal MeTuL Hedz and couldn't even appreciate blues, jazz or classical. That is, until a teacher would talk about it, suddenly every one of them were freaking experts on the subjects. Plus, I just didn't like the end result. All we really did was practice Grade 3 ROCKSCHOOL piece (notice how it's singular) and practice turd 4-6 open chord songs.

So now, I'm doing my Grade 6 RGT in February (then to do Grade 7/8 in May) of 2009, and to self-study Music GCSE and take the exam next year. So basically I have until September 2009 to do absolutely nothing...
I'll probably just work over-time on my music and put out a few more gigs, now.

Then it's off to Music A levels.

Note: I just read your above post. The course made me HATE playing guitar home. As soon as I got in from college, I just basically lost all intertest in music what so ever.
I did it as well as English, Maths and History, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's not a great course and one of the modules we did (practice study or something like that) took all the fun out of practicing and playing. The only good module was the one Final Project, where we put on a concert.

It's also pretty useless for Uni. Yes, it counts for UCAS points, but the good 'research' unis don't go on UCAS points, they go on grades alone. I'd do History (a very good course) and just keep on playing guitar.

Although, if you want to do music at uni, then you should probably keep it. But look into Music A-Level as well. It is insanely hard though, so bear that in mind.
Last edited by SmarterChild at Dec 7, 2008,